The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

I applied in October and haven't heard back, am I a weaker candidate?

I applied on October 13th and I'm getting worried that I still haven't heard anything. I assume they give strong candidates offers quickly, so does this mean that I'm on the borderline of whether I get an offer or not?

Thanks.
Where did you apply too?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
what grades did you get? I know some people who got offers a couple months ago but they're hella smart

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Where did you apply too?

Bristol
Original post by bubblegumcat
what grades did you get? I know some people who got offers a couple months ago but they're hella smart

Posted from TSR Mobile

4A* 4A 2B at GCSE.
4 A's at AS and A* in EPQ
Predicted 4A* at A2.

I'm getting worried that I still haven't heard.
Original post by simbasdragon
Bristol

Strong set of grades , what course?
Strong set of grades , what course?

English. Maybe my personal statement isn't very good?
English. Maybe my personal statement isn't very good?

Hmm , i guess the only advice i can give is too stay strong , hopefully you'll get an offer and gl!
Reply 8
don't worry i didn't get my offer for english lit at durham until late march. the more competitive unis for english can take longer
Hmm , i guess the only advice i can give is too stay strong , hopefully you'll get an offer and gl!

Thankyou! I really like the place so I'm hoping I don't get rejected.
Original post by samstown
don't worry i didn't get my offer for english lit at durham until late march. the more competitive unis for english can take longer

That's really reassuring thanks, especially as I'm also waiting to hear from Durham. Do you know if my GCSE's are strong enough for Durham? I fear they're below average.
4A* 4A 2B at GCSE.
4 A's at AS and A* in EPQ
Predicted 4A* at A2.

I'm getting worried that I still haven't heard.

those are good grades, you'll probably get an offer but you could try emailing them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's really reassuring thanks, especially as I'm also waiting to hear from Durham. Do you know if my GCSE's are strong enough for Durham? I fear they're below average.

I got 5 A*s 5 As 1 B 2 Cs and they took me. Plus my predicted grades weren't as good as yours. I think, contrary to what people say, Durham doesn't focus as much on GCSEs and predictions, because everyone applying is of the same high standard. As long as you meet the requirements your fine, I think the personal statement and reference is way more important.
I applied on October 13th and I'm getting worried that I still haven't heard anything. I assume they give strong candidates offers quickly, so does this mean that I'm on the borderline of whether I get an offer or not?

Thanks.

Not at all! I applied to Edinburgh (in 2013 this was now) in October and didn't hear back until like February 2014... They gave me an offer of BBB even though the course requirement was AAA. Each department has their own way of doing things, some take longer than others. They'll have their reasons. You're not necessarily a weaker candidate for not having heard back yet
Lots of offers will still be going out - the last offers will be made in April/May - so it doesn't mean you wont get an offer.

Yes, applications are ranked and offers are made as they go down the list, but this doesn't mean that Bristol wants you any less than someone else they have already made an offer to. Like all top Unis they get thousands more applications than they have offers and places, and they will now wait to see what the pick-up of Firm/Insurance is to see how many more offers they will make. This number juggling goes on right up to their May deadline.

An offer is an offer, they dont come in different colours or flavours. So hang on in there, keep your fingers crossed, and come back here and tell us when you get your offer.
I applied the same time as you and received an offer yesterday, don't give up hope!

Quick Reply