I need help on my English essay- on Shakespeare othello Watch

I.need.help123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I need help on my english essay
The question is how does shakespeare show the good and evil in othello about the charecter othello himself

Its due next week- please someone help me out with this essay

As he starts from a well respected and fluent at the start of the play, towards the end othello becomes less fluent
Cherry82
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You could talk about the nature's of certain characters as with human nature we all have a 'good' and 'evil' side. An example for 'good' speak about Desdemona's character- her kind and pure heart etc then for example with evil you could speak about Iago's character or about Jealousy and Othello.
Jayd Shah
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did Othello for A-Level, haha; I didn't know it was examined at GCSE level! I'll try to help you. Since your answer seems to have a focus on Othello himself, focus on these points -

Shakespeare portrays him as good at first with his fluency, yet he becomes less coherent and more "barbaric" as the play progresses. He begins the play with words of peace yet ends it with actions (kisses and killing). Explore why words and fluency depict "good" and barbaric actions represent "bad" - isn't it something to do with racial perspectives at the time?

Othello's "evil" is brought out by Iago. Discuss whether the evil was inside Iago all the time or whether he merely brought out the evil within Othello. Jealousy isn't necessary an 'evil' emotion yet it led Othello to commit heinous deeds.

The "good" within Othello - his quote "one who has not loved wisely but too well." Couldn't you conclude that Shakespeare has portrayed Othello as good, because his actions were not due to evil of the heart but rather blind loving and trusting? That it wasn't Othello who was the evil but the environment?

Good luck on your essay x
I.need.help123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks for the help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?