Sab_1239
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Is anybody aware of any good sixth forms for Chemistry, Biology, English Literature and Physics in Birmingham?
One that has a reputation of students achieving good grades and attending the russell group universities.
SubwayLover1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aimingforupthere)
Is anybody aware of any grammar sixth forms in Birmingham which are not very difficult to gain entry to?
You shouldn't just apply to a grammar school for the sake of it and choosing the easiest one is not the best option.

Apply to sixth form's you actually want to go to.
Sab_1239
Rep:
?
(Original post by SubwayLover1)
You shouldn't just apply to a grammar school for the sake of it and choosing the easiest one is not the best option.

Apply to sixth form's you actually want to go to.
I've heard from people that I know that Grammar schools tend to push you harder to achieve the grades that you want and need however thank you for the concern, it's appreciated.
SubwayLover1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've heard from people that I know that Grammar schools tend to push you harder to achieve the grades that you want and need however thank you for the concern, it's appreciated.
I went to a state school for secondary and grammar school for sixth form ( Birmingham too). Whilst thats correct,yes - people at grammar school are pushed but A-levels are mostly about work outside of school - some people at my school think because they go to a grammar school than it automatically means they will get the grades.
Sab_1239
Rep:
?
I went to a state school for secondary and grammar school for sixth form ( Birmingham too). Whilst thats correct,yes - people at grammar school are pushed but A-levels are mostly about work outside of school - some people at my school think because they go to a grammar school than it automatically means they will get the grades.
It's all about the effort and time you yourself put in I guess.
SubwayLover1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's all about the effort and time you yourself put in I guess.
I didn't mean to be rude in my first reply, I was just trying to say.... Pick a sixth form which you enjoy and feel comfortable. Grammar school is very pressurised environment!
Sab_1239
Rep:
?
I didn't mean to be rude in my first reply, I was just trying to say.... Pick a sixth form which you enjoy and feel comfortable. Grammar school is very pressurised environment!

Don't worry about it, it wasn't even rude I'm just really stressed out by the thought of taking my GCSE exams in a couple of months and I am still absolutely rubbish at Maths, its like no matter how hard I try I can't seem to be able to get better.
SubwayLover1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't worry about it, it wasn't even rude I'm just really stressed out by the thought of taking my GCSE exams in a couple of months and I am still absolutely rubbish at Maths, its like no matter how hard I try I can't seem to be able to get better.
You have come to the right person..........I just wasn't naturally good at maths. But keep on doing past papers and revision and it will literally just come !Its weird to describe... one day you are sitting there just attempting a question and something clicks....! In year 10 I got an E in mocks and then at the end of year 10 I got an Ain my gcse !

Just keep on going!
SubwayLover1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also, MathsWatch literally saved me! Such a good website with videos talking you through how to do each topic!
Sab_1239
Rep:
?
You have come to the right person..........I just wasn't naturally good at maths. But keep on doing past papers and revision and it will literally just come !Its weird to describe... one day you are sitting there just attempting a question and something clicks....! In year 10 I got an E in mocks and then at the end of year 10 I got an Ain my gcse !

Just keep on going!
Thank you so much, glad to know I'm not the only one that doesn't understand Maths and that there is still some hope for me. I'll definitely give MathsWatch a go, I bought the CD last year yet I haven't used it- pretty silly of me to be honest but Maths is a subject I have to put a lot of effort into even beginning to revise!
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Be aware that A-level physics and chemistry are quite maths heavy(although there's not much in there more advanced than GCSE maths), so you should make sure you can do GCSE maths competently.
Meg_h
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Grammar schools aren't always the best ones, they just tend to not put students in for the exam if they don't think they will pass and drag the percentage pass down..Maybe look for a sixth form where the teacher has got lots of experience or an examiner
SubwayLover1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you so much, glad to know I'm not the only one that doesn't understand Maths and that there is still some hope for me. I'll definitely give MathsWatch a go, I bought the CD last year yet I haven't used it- pretty silly of me to be honest but Maths is a subject I have to put a lot of effort into even beginning to revise!
MathsWatch will help!

Just keep on going! I used to suck at maths but now im applying for a chemistry degree which involves a lot of maths !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.14%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (383)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise