The Student Room Group

What do you think about my university choice?

University of Edinburgh (preferred)
University of Southampton
University of Birmingham
University of Glasgow (backup)
University of Nottingham (backup)

Predicted IB 44/45, 677 at HL, 6 in Mathematics. (I think this is equivalent to AA*A* at A-levels)
Applying for Computer Science G400.
I didn't consider places such as St Andrews, Durham, Warwick because they are small - I will have to get a part-time job to pay for living costs (I am not eligible for maintanence loan), which, I guess, is harded in small towns like them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
If you're predicted the equivalent of A*A*A why not Oxbridge and Imperial? I'd say they're the top 3 in the country for CS. Closely followed by UCL and Edinburgh. They're all solid choices you've got, just think you could've been a bit more ambitious.
:ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff2::ff2::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff2::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff::ff:
Original post by Michael362
University of Edinburgh (preferred)
University of Southampton
University of Birmingham
University of Glasgow (backup)
University of Nottingham (backup)

Predicted IB 44/45, 677 at HL, 6 in Mathematics. (I think this is equivalent to AA*A* at A-levels)
Applying for Computer Science G400.
I didn't consider places such as St Andrews, Durham, Warwick because they are small - I will have to get a part-time job to pay for living costs (I am not eligible for maintanence loan), which, I guess, is harded in small towns like them.

Why would you ever want to go to one of those unis with your grades?
Reply 4
I have 6 predicted in Maths, not 7, and Imperial requires 7. And I would have to take STEP for it and I don't think I would do well at them. By the way, if I actually end up achieving these scores on my exam (or a 7 in Maths instead of a 6), could I spend this one year at one of the universities I've stated and apply the next year to Oxbridge/Imperial and still be considered equallly?
St Andrews in number 1 for computing science in the UK, and there are plenty of jobs in town. I'll admit it's small but everyone is outgoing and there are plenty of societies so there's no need to go clubbing to have fun - there are also direct links to Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dundee.
Reply 6
I'm really concerned about the availability of part-time jobs - is it harded to get one in St Andrews than in big cities like Edinburgh, Southampton or Birmingham? I've also read that internship is advisable, and especially in CS - but since St Andrews is so small, one would have to commute to larger cities, I guess? And I suppose students in Edinburgh can study and have work placement at the same time, right, which would be much harder in St Andrews, what do you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending