The Student Room Group

Undergraduate history exam tips

I am an undergraduate history student (1st year) the course has been great so far ! however i am heading into my second semester which has end of year exams. i am slightly anxious about this and would really appreciate tips for how to prepare for history exams from anyone :smile:
Hi there, the big thing to do is to look at past papers for the module(s) to get a sense of what questions are asked. These are often available through your university's online system for students, but if you aren't sure, ask your tutor and they should be able to direct you. You shouldn't need to revise every topic from the semester, but if you need to answer 2 essay questions, then revise at least 4 topics, to give you backup choices. If you need to answer 3 essay questions, revise at least 5 or 6. Make sure on the day that you have a decent breakfast that will give you the energy to keep going. Trust me, it really makes a difference. Also, read the question carefully and make sure you answer what is being asked. I always found that it was a good idea to take the first five minutes of the exam to jot down a few ideas on the exam paper for points to cover and make up a little plan, rather than to just start writing. If you can remember a few points from your historiography (eg. historian x said this about this topic), then that's great. It really shows you did the reading and will pick you up extra points, as long as the information you mention is accurate and pertinent. If there's time, re-read your answers at the end and fix up your handwriting a little bit if it needs it (it puts the marker in a better mood with you). I hope this helps. Best of luck with your exams :-)
What are markers looking for in these first year history exams? Historians perspectives? Knowledge? Answering the question convincingly?
What are markers looking for in these first year history exams? Historians perspectives? Knowledge? Answering the question convincingly? or all of the above equally?
Original post by luciewilson1280
What are markers looking for in these first year history exams? Historians perspectives? Knowledge? Answering the question convincingly?

They will principally be looking at how you respond to the questions sing all the ways you mentioned. Otherwise one could literally answer a question by bullet pointing what other Historians have said/thought.
It's all about building a reasonable but persuasive case; recognising weaknesses in your arguments but conveying why its better than alternative points of view.

.... Otherwise you could ask you department tutor or professor. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending