Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    where can i find a list of last year's Clearing places?

cheers.

:confused:

(Original post by *skye*)
    where can i find a list of last year's Clearing places?

cheers.

:confused:
    www.mirror.co.uk/clearing

(Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Although it's worth pointing out that those are the ADVERTISED clearing places....there are many places available through clearing in competetive subjects like law, english and medicine that are never advertised but are filled through well qualified applicants contacting universities directly and putting their case.
    I have a friend who got into York via the "ring up and ask if they are just to big headed to advertise clearing places for a course that they are supposed to be some good at" method. I think you may be the most fortunate person walking the planet if you manage the same for med though. On a bit of a tangent to that, I actually quite liked seeing that there were so many places in clearing, until I realised that pretty much all of them on that site are in multiple categories (e.g. in comp sci and s/w engineering seperately) so it appers like they have many more places than they actually have. <----Tremendously diheartening for those with no insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I have a friend who got into York via the "ring up and ask if they are just to big headed to advertise clearing places for a course that they are supposed to be some good at" method. I think you may be the most fortunate person walking the planet if you manage the same for med though. On a bit of a tangent to that, I actually quite liked seeing that there were so many places in clearing, until I realised that pretty much all of them on that site are in multiple categories (e.g. in comp sci and s/w engineering seperately) so it appers like they have many more places than they actually have. <----Tremendously diheartening for those with no insurance.
    would i be kinda right to think that a place that has places on extra will probably have places in clearing? (ie. they have spaces)... if so you can always try dundee leekey *has taken lessons in advertising uni everywhere*

lou xxx

(Original post by lou p lou)
    would i be kinda right to think that a place that has places on extra will probably have places in clearing?
    You would think this would be true but apparently some universities feel that a course entering clearing "devalues" it. If this is true then it is quite sad that somewhere would rather pay the government fine that admit to not being able to fill its places.

Dundee will be on my list when I collect departments numbers on August 18th ready for the next day when I get to ring and beg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    You would think this would be true but apparently some universities feel that a course entering clearing "devalues" it. If this is true then it is quite sad that somewhere would rather pay the government fine that admit to not being able to fill its places.

Dundee will be on my list when I collect departments numbers on August 18th ready for the next day when I get to ring and beg.
    hehe... good good good. but you won't need it

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    If you look at most universities their clearing entry is usualy less than 6%, however there are a few universities that have things like 30% clearing. Its worth having a look at the Sunday Times profiles and checking the clearing entry for the universiy you want to get into via clearing. It will give you a rough idea how easy it is although it varies per course.

ReputationRep:
    Whats the rule for clearing anyways?
    I mean most unis would hav a typical offer mayb BBC or smth
    and wut if my a-level grades were BCC or BCD , would they still accept me?
    im not sure how clearing works, though I see tons of spaces jus worried I wont get in nevertheless cus of the grades.

and would the uni put u in probation or smth if u go thru clearing?

ReputationRep:
    This is not true, on my course just 6 people got in last year via clearing, however they some times make offers for lower points or offer an HND place or foundation degree instead.

Universities are not going to seek so low and get people in who are very unsuitable for the money because this could damage their reputation as well as standards. Although some universities do this, they tend mainly to be HE colleges, I remember Bolton famously offering an undercover clearing student a place on a science degree via clearing with just two E's. As a result it was front page of the Manchester Evening News.

ReputationRep:
    ....there are many places available through clearing in competetive subjects like law, english and medicine that are never advertised but are filled through well qualified applicants contacting universities directly and putting their case.
    You mentioned Law.. what would a well qualified applicant be? Is ABB acceptable? and would phoning up a top 20 Uni be too ambitous?

ReputationRep:
    what do u reckon my chances are for psychology? (single honours) Cos i know its highly competitive and that most places had to increase their entry grades (to my dismay)(!)

cheers.

ReputationRep:
    I heard of a girl from my school, a few year back, being rejected by her first choice uni, but then being made an offer by them through clearing. (I don't know for what subject, or what uni it was - but clearly some secretary on a power trip felt like messing with the system...*hehehe*)

ReputationRep:
    Some kid from my school managed to get UUE in his A-levels last year. His firm was luton, who rejected him. He then got on to a chemistry degree at luton through clearing. He got a U in chemistry!!

ReputationRep:
    Ok heres my situation.

Have been planning a year out so have not applied anywhere, UCAS is almost oblivous to me. However, is it possible to have a change of heart and phone say a metropolitan and ask for a place without already applying anywhere? Or will they basically tell me to F off. lol.

I would very much like to do software engineering somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fully)
    Some kid from my school managed to get UUE in his A-levels last year. His firm was luton, who rejected him. He then got on to a chemistry degree at luton through clearing. He got a U in chemistry!!
    How can that be? He should be rejected! That is so unfair. Is he doing fine in uni then although he got bad A-level grades?

ReputationRep:
    Is it acutally possible to phone up a top ten/fifteen uni and beg for a place. They all claim that they get 2000+ applications for 100 places, so it seems quite stupid that people can just ring up and actually get in.

ReputationRep:
    Once again, I'll say that I'm still nieve about the whole uni process

Is it a good thing that most of the course I'm looking at were in clearning last year? I know it seems like an odd question, but one of my friends told me that if a course your looking at has been in clearing it means that the course is probably not a worthwhile course to do.

(Original post by LS.)
    Once again, I'll say that I'm still nieve about the whole uni process

Is it a good thing that most of the course I'm looking at were in clearning last year? I know it seems like an odd question, but one of my friends told me that if a course your looking at has been in clearing it means that the course is probably not a worthwhile course to do.
    Ask you friend if they consider any of the following courses to "not be worthwhile"....

L'borough - Sports Science
    York - Electronic Engineering
    Cambridge - Education
    Newcastle - Medicine
    KCL - Law
    UEA - Law
    IC - Computing
    Edinburgh - Computing
    Southampton - Computing / Software Engineering
    St Andrews - Mathematics

As you an see just from the random crap I can personally recall, there are a number of great courses available through clearing and going through the process to get onto a course is no bad thing. I dare your friend to tell the guy last year whogot into Med that his course isnt worthwhile. At the end of the day amissions tutor are paid to get the best candiates and if they can get them through clearing then what do they care.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you PQ & Leekey, it's good to have knowledgable people around

The comment was made about the neuroscience courses I was looking at, since most of them are listed on the aforementioned website - she told me to look at pharmacy as it was less likely to be in clearing [but it happens to be on the list too!]

Neuroscience doesn't attract that many applications because it isn't taught at A level - it's surprising how something as simple as never studying a subject directly before puts off huge swathes of applicants who prefer to stick to what they already know.
    I think its the thought of turning up on the first day and being in the presence of 50 other students who have dedicated the last 3 years of thier lives to neuroscience e all complete experts. Its a paranoid fear that would probably never happen but it scares us all. Even those of us that think we can handle the courses because were doing what we know still get the odd moment of worry about being surrounded by superior intellects. I think most 18 year olds are paranoid freaks....

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.