Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is 19 to old for the first year of university?

Im quite depressed about this. I would have just turned 19 cause i had to repeat a year.

What do you think, i would really appreciate your opinion.
    Would Majority of first yrs be 18?

Thanks (its really depressing me)

btw, the course is 4 yrs (inc work year), i will be 23 when i finish

ReputationRep:
    There'll be an age difference of months between you and hose starting straight away after their A-levels, but there'll also be loads of people who've taken a gap year and people who are quite a bit older than you!

ReputationRep:
    I wil be 20 when I start - albeit only by two days but still - 20. It doesn't depress me at all :confused:

ReputationRep:
    the majority will probably be 18..as that's the age of "normal" entry..

i really don't think 1 year difference would be hugely significant..in fact i had no idea how old most people in my year were..we're just all "freshers". i'm bemused as to why it would be depressing.. :confused:

subsequently found out my year includes a mature student (21!) oodles of people who took gap years & i think some under 18s.

it probably depends on your uni & subject as to whether most people took gap years.. here they're more common for arts-languages, or people determined to get into this uni so who reapplied. there may be a slight difference noticeable in the first few weeks or so in that those who were older probably didn't go quite so crazy at the living away from home thing! although that was probably more due to gap year exotic independent travel experiences etc. rather than some sort of innate drastic change between 18 & 19 year olds :rolleyes: (of which i have recently become, yay!)

& if it really bothers you, quite a lot of people form friendships outside their yeargroup, through sports/subject/social events etc.

ReputationRep:
    what about 17?
    is that too early?

(Original post by kriztinae)
    what about 17?
    is that too early?
    I'll JUST be 18 when I begin so 17 isnt really that different I don't think. As long as you have the social skills and academic ability then age is really not important. Whereas I expect to work my ass of and get into somewhere where everyone is twice as intelligent as myself, I'll just have to compensate with good looks and natural charm.....ohh wait no I can't do that either....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    the majority will probably be 18..as that's the age of "normal" entry..

i really don't think 1 year difference would be hugely significant..in fact i had no idea how old most people in my year were..we're just all "freshers". i'm bemused as to why it would be depressing.. :confused:

subsequently found out my year includes a mature student (21!) oodles of people who took gap years & i think some under 18s.

it probably depends on your uni & subject as to whether most people took gap years.. here they're more common for arts-languages, or people determined to get into this uni so who reapplied. there may be a slight difference noticeable in the first few weeks or so in that those who were older probably didn't go quite so crazy at the living away from home thing! although that was probably more due to gap year exotic independent travel experiences etc. rather than some sort of innate drastic change between 18 & 19 year olds :rolleyes: (of which i have recently become, yay!)

& if it really bothers you, quite a lot of people form friendships outside their yeargroup, through sports/subject/social events etc.
    well its depressing that il start a job at 23 as well as the fact that whilst other 18 year old have already got into their second year il be getting into the first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I'll JUST be 18 when I begin so 17 isnt really that different I don't think. As long as you have the social skills and academic ability then age is really not important. Whereas I expect to work my ass of and get into somewhere where everyone is twice as intelligent as myself, I'll just have to compensate with good looks and natural charm.....ohh wait no I can't do that either....
    hmm im sure you have both good looks and charm!
    ill be turning 18 after about 4 months of being in uni, it shouldnt be a problem for me coz my uni isnt that great! ive always been up a grade so iv always hung out with older people but its gonna suck coz i wont be allowed to drink and they might not let me into bars and night clubs

ReputationRep:
    ill be turning 18 after about 4 months of being in uni, it shouldnt be a problem for me coz my uni isnt that great! ive always been up a grade so iv always hung out with older people but its gonna suck coz i wont be allowed to drink and they might not let me into bars and night clubs
    just to go a wee bit off topic, would they ask for I.D whilst at uni?

ReputationRep:
    Age will pale into insignificance when you go to uni. As people have already commented, there will be others who have taken gap years, mature students etc. When you add to that the fact that you will be starting afresh - it wouldn't be like being moved back a year at school and having to bond with the year below. Thankfully, university should go some way to dismantle the whole 'only mixing with people your age' thing which may people encounter in the early years of secondary school. 19 is nothing, just wait till somebody who is taking on a degree at 70 is sitting opposite you, and imagine what it is like for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Age will pale into insignificance when you go to uni. As people have already commented, there will be others who have taken gap years, mature students etc. When you add to that the fact that you will be starting afresh - it wouldn't be like being moved back a year at school and having to bond with the year below. Thankfully, university should go some way to dismantle the whole 'only mixing with people your age' thing which may people encounter in the early years of secondary school. 19 is nothing, just wait till somebody who is taking on a degree at 70 is sitting opposite you, and imagine what it is like for them.
    thanks that made me feel better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa)
    just to go a wee bit off topic, would they ask for I.D whilst at uni?
    im not sure
    my sis was also 17 for like 2 months but she never got asked coz she looks older.... i dont look very old

ReputationRep:
    my friend is 19 and shes comin to uni with me in september
    plus all my sisters friends are 19 or 20 and they are first year student

Ahh they will let you in, on student nights etc... I've watched people knee height get into clubs, bars etc...

PS - Don't say bad things about you'r uni!!! You should be doing the same job of shameless promotion that I am for mine!!!

ReputationRep:
    Nope I turm 19 2 days before freshers week starts.

ReputationRep:
    well its depressing that il start a job at 23 as well as the fact that whilst other 18 year old have already got into their second year il be getting into the first.
    I dont see how that is depressing - people go to university at all ages, just because the majority are around the age of 18 doesn't mean everyone is. Plus the fact that gap years are so much more common these days means that most people probably will be that little bit older. But either way - the odd year here or there doesn't make a difference really - does it :confused:

It certainly won't to me anyway - most of my friends (including my other half) have been and done uni - bought the t-shirt so to speak. it doesnt stop me getting on with them.

You seem to be overly worried about the whole 'routine' of growing up and then getting left behind- eg. the idea that most people do school, do a-levels, go straight to uni - then go out and get a job immediately. In reality it's not like that, everyones different- and personally I think it's a good thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Ahh they will let you in, on student nights etc... I've watched people knee height get into clubs, bars etc...

PS - Don't say bad things about you'r uni!!! You should be doing the same job of shameless promotion that I am for mine!!!
    oh ok yes my uni is so great, it is so great because it accepted me! a prize student of the international school of paphos! haha im sorry i cant do it!

im sure a bit of make up will do it nd get me into clubs! plus the owners tend to like having more girls than guys! hehe so they might let me off

ReputationRep:
    Im 23 and starting this year so 19 is nothing. Most people dont go at 18 anyway the majority are 19. So dont worry, Im gonna be a right old bugger and Im not bothered. Just think of it as an opportunity to teach them cheeky whippersnappers a thing or two.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't feel downhearted or as if your somehow going to be 'a year behind for the rest of your life', that's simply rubbish. A uni course will go on for anything between 3-7 years, after which some people may opt to do further study e.g. postgraduate degrees, training qualifications etc. Others may take a year out after uni.

Nothing is clear cut in life, don't feel bad - you are not 'behind'. Who is to say that these people will be working before you anyway? Even if they do, life has a nasty habit of creeping in and stealing years off people at all stages, via breakdowns, redundancies, changing career direction, children etc. Get away from the idea that life will pan out exactly as people plan it and that you have to be in place x by time y doing thing z - because the best laid plans of mice and men aft gang agley. I hope I don't sound too pesimistic, lol.

ReputationRep:
    19 is young, I didn't start till I was 20 and I was no way near the oldest. 19 is probably average to be honest, I know more people who have had some kind of gap year than not.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.