Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Uni Age?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa)
    well its depressing that il start a job at 23 as well as the fact that whilst other 18 year old have already got into their second year il be getting into the first.
    i'll start at 24.. whoo..6 year degree!

anyway..uni/careers etc. aren't really a race, especially with some many people changing throughout their life nowadays.

on the ID note..i never have been whilst at uni (in a uni town) but if i go home (city with at least 3 huge 6th forms) then if you look under 30 then some places always do!

ReputationRep:
    my boyfriend was 20 when he started and was the youngest on his course. it depends what course you're going and where, but i think you'll be surprised by the number of people who have had years out or whatever. i'm having a gap year so i'll be 19 when i start too. lots of people don't even intend to go to uni then do later when they're a lot older! so don't stress about it at all!

also, my course is 4 years so i won't graduate until i'm 23 - i don't think that's depressing, i think it's cool that i won't have to live in the "real world" until then, i can get away with pissing about as a student!

ReputationRep:
    I will be nearly 20 when I start University in September...I'm not worried at all - I think a lot of people on my course (Computer Science) will be older than me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    I will be nearly 20 when I start University in September...I'm not worried at all - I think a lot of people on my course (Computer Science) will be older than me anyway.
    ya im doing comp sci too...which uni?

We should start our own "I Study Comp Sci Soc"....lol

Where are you off to then Swatfa? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    We should start our own "I Study Comp Sci Soc"....lol

Where are you off to then Swatfa? :confused:
    Brunel university

ReputationRep:
    Is 19 to old for the first year of university?

Im quite depressed about this. I would have just turned 19 cause i had to repeat a year.

What do you think, i would really appreciate your opinion.
    Would Majority of first yrs be 18?

Thanks (its really depressing me)

btw, the course is 4 yrs (inc work year), i will be 23 when i finish
    Age isn't a factor really, I couldn't tell if people were one years older than me; loads of people takes gap years anyway, you won't be alone. All first years are Freshers, age dosen't come into it.

And if it makes you feel better, by the time I'm finished with university, I'll be 25 and hopefully a Doctor of Economics.

Brunel university
    I think if we get anymore comp sci students we can officially claim it to be the most common subject on the board!!!

ReputationRep:
    "Hands up! It's another thread hijacking!" :mad:

(Original post by shiny)
    "Hands up! It's another thread hijacking!" :mad:
    Were still pretty close to the topic, I mean were still talking university so surely we haven't strayed too far.

ReputationRep:
    Were still pretty close to the topic, I mean were still talking university so surely we haven't strayed too far.
    I stopped ya in ya tracks

You were just about turn this into a Comp Sci thread, I know it!

ReputationRep:
    lol... i'm fed up of comp sci- everyone seems to be doing it!

whats your edinburgh offer leekey? i know you keep goin on about it, but i can't remember what it is.

and as for 19 being too young- it isn't. my brother was 19 a week into his first year and that was without a gap year or nything (he's just a september birthday) and in his house this year he was with other 2nd years and he was the youngest by quite a bit (they were all having their 21sts)

lou xxx

(Original post by lou p lou)
    lol... i'm fed up of comp sci- everyone seems to be doing it!

whats your edinburgh offer leekey? i know you keep goin on about it, but i can't remember what it is.

and as for 19 being too young- it isn't. my brother was 19 a week into his first year and that was without a gap year or nything (he's just a september birthday) and in his house this year he was with other 2nd years and he was the youngest by quite a bit (they were all having their 21sts)

lou xxx
    I'm wanting AAB to make sure I can chose between 2nd year and 1st year entry (BBB would leave me with no option). I do NOT keeping going on about it, I DO keep saying I'm going to screw maths up....which is true....I am/have....lol

I would go into more detail but I can see Shiny getting quite aggitated.

ReputationRep:
    is there a huge difference between a 18 qnd 19 year old?? I dont think so...
    then again one cannot really use age to determine a person's sense of maturity and responsibilty...

I will be 22 when I start uni this september...but then again I did a degree already and I am on a gap year, so 19 is still young and who will know the difference??

ReputationRep:
    I'm wanting AAB to make sure I can chose between 2nd year and 1st year entry (BBB would leave me with no option). I do NOT keeping going on about it, I DO keep saying I'm going to screw maths up....which is true....I am/have....lol

I would go into more detail but I can see Shiny getting quite aggitated.
    lol, everyone has screwed maths up... still p2 and s2 to go (woooooo)

you still not decided on 1st year or 2nd year entry? or are you just wanting the choice? i applied for 1st year, but i know if i get good grages i can ring them up and they'd probably let me go in in 2nd year... but i won't.

lou xxx

lol, everyone has screwed maths up... still p2 and s2 to go (woooooo)

you still not decided on 1st year or 2nd year entry? or are you just wanting the choice? i applied for 1st year, but i know if i get good grages i can ring them up and they'd probably let me go in in 2nd year... but i won't.

lou xxx
    I just want the choice really. It would be nice to know that I'm not taking 1st year entry simply because I couldn't get 2nd year entry if you know what I mean. :confused: Your gonna do great, I bet you get double the grades for your offer!!!

ReputationRep:
    I just want the choice really. It would be nice to know that I'm not taking 1st year entry simply because I couldn't get 2nd year entry if you know what I mean. :confused: You gonna do great, I bet you get double the grades for your offer!!!
    hehe, well i'd be upset if i don't get Bs in psychology and philosophy. the less said about maths the better. and it i so nice to know i can sack it off for my uni offer (and i'm sure it wouldn't raise too many eyebrows to do matsh at uni with a rubbish grade in maths). and if i don't do well i can tell myself that it was cos i missed so much cos i was ill (and not that i have been out every weekend, done no work and genarrally slept all year) and loads of people would have just chosen to resit the year.

and you'll get your grades do you have an insurance or not cos you went through extra?

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    my sister is still at uni at 25, and ain't gonna be finished for a while! (she's doing her phd). and my brother is about to go back aged 27 to do a second masters...uni isn't like school, and what year groups you're in because of your birthdays. if you think about the the age difference between you and people in years above and below you is a matter of months anyway.

and you'll get your grades do you have an insurance or not cos you went through extra?
    Nope I have no backup (god that sounds worrying :eek: ) so I'm thinking I better not mess S2 up too badly...

ReputationRep:
    Kent @ Canterbury.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.