Uni Age?? watch

Announcements

(Original post by who_me)
    Kent @ Canterbury.
    a.k.a. Sun Micosystems proving grounds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    Kent @ Canterbury.
    thats my insurance, which it seems very likely il be going to.
    Kents great!

ReputationRep:
    Back to the topic- im gonna be 21 when i go to uni and 22 just after starting- this will be next yr. Age doesn't really matter and im not bothered, I get on well with ppl younger then me and i suppose i do because I look younger than most 18 yr olds still but don't worry- u'll love uni whatever age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    a.k.a. Sun Micosystems proving grounds
    Hehe, well I'm not gonna say no to a year in California!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa)
    thats my insurance, which it seems very likely il be going to.
    Kents great!
    I agree! See you there........maybe!

ReputationRep:
    Is 19 to old for the first year of university?

Im quite depressed about this. I would have just turned 19 cause i had to repeat a year.

What do you think, i would really appreciate your opinion.
    Would Majority of first yrs be 18?

Thanks (its really depressing me)

btw, the course is 4 yrs (inc work year), i will be 23 when i finish
    I wouldnt worry about this at all. Im in the exact same position as you and my course is 5/6 years so I will be 25 when I graduate. I think you will be surpsied on the amount of people who have had years out, have a degree or are mature students.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, 19 is normal.

15-16 - Year 11
    16-17 - Year 12
    17-18 - Year 13
    18-19 <GAP YEAR>
    19-20 - Uni - First Year
    20-21 - Uni - Second Year
    21-22 - Uni - Third Year
    22-24 - Uni - MA

ReputationRep:
    Is 19 to old for the first year of university?

Im quite depressed about this. I would have just turned 19 cause i had to repeat a year.

What do you think, i would really appreciate your opinion.
    Would Majority of first yrs be 18?

Thanks (its really depressing me)

btw, the course is 4 yrs (inc work year), i will be 23 when i finish
    Tons of people start uni later. Ok I am doing a postgrad but I have some lectures with undergrads and I will be 25 when I graduate so 23 is still a youngster lol. Its nothing to worry about at all. Theres about a 4 year age difference in my group of friends and we all get along just fine.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be 19 when I start uni, just because my birthday is early in Spetember, before the uni term starts. I don't see it as a problem, people will be aged between 17-21 probably, no one's going to care/notice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gunna be 18 because I'm not taking a gap year due to the top-up fees comming in. But I probably know more people who take a gap year than don't. Anyway it's not like theres an actual difference between 18,19,20 or 21 year olds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    Nah, 19 is normal.

15-16 - Year 11
    16-17 - Year 12
    17-18 - Year 13
    18-19 <GAP YEAR>
    19-20 - Uni - First Year
    20-21 - Uni - Second Year
    21-22 - Uni - Third Year
    22-24 - Uni - MA
    statistically the majority of school leavers take gap years...? that really suprises me..

where's Pencil Queen..?

ReputationRep:
    I won't be taking a gap year, but I'll still be 19 though, just because uni terms tend to start later than school terms.

(Original post by Elles)
    statistically the majority of school leavers take gap years...? that really suprises me..
    Sounded a bit unlikely to me too. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seana)
    is there a huge difference between a 18 qnd 19 year old?? I dont think so...
    then again one cannot really use age to determine a person's sense of maturity and responsibilty...

I will be 22 when I start uni this september...but then again I did a degree already and I am on a gap year, so 19 is still young and who will know the difference??
    I'm in the same situation that you are in. I start at the LSE this October and I am 22. I did a degree in history at an american uni and will be working on a law degree at LSE. I graduated american uni at 20, so I know what it is like to be the young one.

I don't feel worried about my age because in America, students don't start doing law, medicine, vet, or dental degrees until they are about 22-23. B-school students are usually older than that. If I look at it from American angle...I'm at the right age with my American counterparts...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    i hope not - i dont wanna be the youngest!

:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    i hope not - i dont wanna be the youngest!

:eek:
    well i was questioning the validity of that statement..i'm a first year & turned 19 a few days ago.. & i have more than a few friends with July birthdays.

ReputationRep:
    19 - old?
    Some judge retired and started a degree at Oxford in his 70s!
    Must be a rich student - even by Oxford standards

ReputationRep:
    By the time you're 18, 19 or 20 the difference one year makes isn't very significant. Not like when you're 5, 6 or 7. So, even if you are a bit older than the other people starting out at uni, I doubt anyone would notice, or care.

edit: Oh, and I'll be 19 when I start at Durham this autumn too.

ReputationRep:
    i will be 25 when i start uni, 30 by the time i finish.

ReputationRep:
    There is no way you are too old. My older sister went to uni when she was 18 and she met people in her corridor who were 24. That wasn't his real age, he lied because he thought that 28 was too old. But no one cared and he had lots of friends and was really well liked. So don't worry.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.