Poll: Do you think bright clothing should be banned from tourist sights?
Yes (1)
6.25%
No (15)
93.75%
Stewie2011
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Just seems awful to me when your looking round a museum, historic site, picturesque location, etc only to be constantly spoiled by numerous colour blind idiots wearing some ghastly bright red or pink jacket, scarf, woolen hat, etc. It kind of desecrates our beloved attractions with the worst form of fashion unconsciousness available. I mean what ever possessed these people to buy such garish clothing in the first place let alone inflict it on other tourists and sightseers. When viewing a place of great scenery or historic location the last thing I want to see is someone's bright element of clothing keep piercing my eye and clashing horribly with the location or piece on display.

Taking any pictures is also a nightmare, when a sight is packed out with people and trying to avoid having any of these individual spoil your shots is not easy, particularly when they keep ham handily walking past or having to wait ages for them to either leave the area you are trying to photograph or wait till they pass the quarter of a mile line where their overly colorful presence starts to eventually diminish. Kind of see why Victorians always used to wear black and white, etc so much easier on the eye. Doubt I'm the only one thinking this. What do you think, do you find its a real pain also?
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Stewie2011)
Just seems awful to me when your looking round a museum, historic site, picturesque location, etc only to be constantly spoiled by numerous colour blind idiots wearing some ghastly bright red or pink jacket, scarf, woolen hat, etc. It kind of desecrates our beloved attractions with the worst form of fashion unconsciousness available. I mean what ever possessed these people to buy such garish clothing in the first place let alone inflict it on other tourists and sightseers. When viewing a place of great scenery or historic location the last thing I want to see is someone's bright element of clothing keep piercing my eye and clashing horribly with the location or piece on display.

Taking any pictures is also a nightmare, when a sight is packed out with people and trying to avoid having any of these individual spoil your shots is not easy, particularly when they keep ham handily walking past or having to wait ages for them to either leave the area you are trying to photograph or wait till they pass the quarter of a mile line where their overly colorful presence starts to eventually diminish. Kind of see why Victorians always used to wear black and white, etc so much easier on the eye. Doubt I'm the only one thinking this. What do you think, do you find its a real pain also?
I honestly have never had a problem with this... I don't understand why we should stop people from wearing clothes they like just because they don't suit your tastes?
VannR
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
tl;dr version

"I don't like the colourful clothes that some tourists where near tourist attractions; colourful clothes should be banned from being worn in their vicinity.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

You must be a ****ing beast at parties.
Stewie2011
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
I honestly have never had a problem with this... I don't understand why we should stop people from wearing clothes they like just because they don't suit your tastes?
Not just my tastes but its very annoying if your trying to take a decent photo and having to keep waiting ages while they pass by then another one pops up. I mean if there wearing softer colours then they can blend in the background a lot quicker with only needing to be a short distance away to not stand out brazenly and unwantedly in your photo. Bright reds and pinks are quite distracting and often at odds with the monument in question that they kind of spoil it. Surely someone else must have noticed this?
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not just my tastes but its very annoying if your trying to take a decent photo and having to keep waiting ages while they pass by then another one pops up. I mean if there wearing softer colours then they can blend in the background a lot quicker with only needing to be a short distance away to not stand out brazenly and unwantedly in your photo. Bright reds and pinks are quite distracting and often at odds with the monument in question that they kind of spoil it. Surely someone else must have noticed this?
On the other hand, it makes those people happy to wear those clothes. And I'm sure there are a lot more of those people than people who are upset by brightly coloured clothes in their photos.

Also, as someone who likes taking photos, the problem isn't brightly coloured clothes, it's people. And there's not much you can do about that!
Stewie2011
Rep:
?
Thinking could always have a collection box outside attractions into which the offending bright red and pinks could be contained
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Unless it is Man U shirts worn by non-Mancunians I see no issue. As for those, just add a £50 tax per shirt and the problem will go away, or help reduce the national debt.
MrsSheldonCooper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Erm no I don't want to walk out on the street and see everyone dressed up as if they're going to a funeral.
jazjaz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Banning coloured clothes? Taking nanny state to a whole new level...
Flibib
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You presumably don't realise that the vast majority of Greco-Roman architecture was originally painted in extremely vibrant and flamboyant colours?
username457532
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
**** you.
aacargo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's a country where this happens. North Korea.

Actually, that doesn't even happen there - you should create your own totalitarian state where you can't wear colored clothing. Population 1.
Stewie2011
Rep:
?
Of course I don't mean all coloured clothing, just the bright ones the awfully garish reds and pinks mostly, sometimes blue and green, or orange, perhaps on a bad day purple. For sure they might have fitted in at some point in history but in the here and now I would rather my vision and attraction I am visiting not be assailed by overtly at odds colours. I don't see any harm in a bit of guidance being given in society on this topic.
username1221160
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
May have to invest in some tie-dye clothing. Perfect for trolling boring people at museums and scenic locations.
bassbabe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh boo hoo, walk around with your eyes closed then!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (44)
36.97%
No (61)
51.26%
I don't know (14)
11.76%

Watched Threads