New College of the Humanities
Northeastern University London
Visit website

NCH 2016 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by lalabear
Hi everyone!
I know it's kind of last minute but I'm kind of starting to worry about my interview. I applied for Politics and International Relations with a minor in Philosophy, and my interview is this Wednesday. It would be really nice if someone could give me tips in relation to politics & IR!

Best of luck!

Hi there! Though I don't know much about politics and IR, I would advise you not to stress about the interview. I had my philosophy interview last week and it was really really fine! It's a conversation, so you can talk about what you don't understand, ask questions, and talk about your thoughts on the extract, you don't have to know everything! Just relax and enjoy!
New College of the Humanities
Northeastern University London
Visit website
Original post by borbv
Just got an unconditional offer by post! I am super excited! Still some stuff to sort out regarding visa status and scholarship, but I hope to be firming it soon!!!

Excellent news! Congratulations!

Are you International? When I had my interview I met a couple of Italians and a German guy who were interviewing too. So pleased for you.:smile:
Original post by borbv
Hi there! Though I don't know much about politics and IR, I would advise you not to stress about the interview. I had my philosophy interview last week and it was really really fine! It's a conversation, so you can talk about what you don't understand, ask questions, and talk about your thoughts on the extract, you don't have to know everything! Just relax and enjoy!

I second this advice - I really enjoyed my interview, the whole afternoon was very enjoyable. It was great to chat to other NCH students and to meet some of the staff. Best of luck for your interview!
Congratulations on your offers guys! I was just a bit curious, who exactly did you guys have your interviews with??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by Feilding97
Excellent news! Congratulations!

Are you International? When I had my interview I met a couple of Italians and a German guy who were interviewing too. So pleased for you.:smile:

Thank you!! :biggrin: I'm not actually, it's very complicated Haha. I grew up in London, but I don't have 'home' status yet, I'm getting it in March this year, so I'll qualify as a home student. So I need to clarify that with them. Hopefully then they will increase my scholarship, which is £2,000 at the moment, and I can't really afford to pay the rest of it at the moment... If I can sort this out I will definitely be firming it!!

What about you? Have you thought more about NCH and your other choices?

It's such an exciting time for us all!
Reply 65
Congratulations on your offers guys! I was just a bit curious, who exactly did you guys have your interviews with??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had my interview with two men from the philosophy department, so it wasn't the head of Philosophy, since she is a woman (I forget her name... Terrible). They were super nice and friendly and I felt very comfortable. We even had a few jokes. Also, the students were really nice too, they accompany you to your reading and your interview. I also had interviews at Oxford and I found the experience at NCH much better, I felt much more relaxed and everyone was a lot more pleasant.

Also, the reading task will tend to be quite easy, I think. Especially for a course like politics and IR, since it's not something most people would study area A-levels.

Best of luck with it!! 😁
Original post by borbv
Thank you!! :biggrin: I'm not actually, it's very complicated Haha. I grew up in London, but I don't have 'home' status yet, I'm getting it in March this year, so I'll qualify as a home student. So I need to clarify that with them. Hopefully then they will increase my scholarship, which is £2,000 at the moment, and I can't really afford to pay the rest of it at the moment... If I can sort this out I will definitely be firming it!!

What about you? Have you thought more about NCH and your other choices?

It's such an exciting time for us all!

I hope all goes smoothly and you get home status in March.

I'm going to Bristol and KCL offer holder events in the next week or so, and will make my decision after that. I'm definitely leaning towards firming NCH though...I love it.:smile:
Reply 67
Original post by Feilding97
I hope all goes smoothly and you get home status in March.

I'm going to Bristol and KCL offer holder events in the next week or so, and will make my decision after that. I'm definitely leaning towards firming NCH though...I love it.:smile:

I'm sure it'll be okay, but thanks!

Me too! NCH just seems like the coolest option!
Reply 68
Original post by UKStudent2016
I am also seriously considering NCH for LLB Law programme. I really liked their way of teaching and broading options for students Honestly speaking, I just found out about NCH through a random google search last week, until then I never knew they existed. But I am 35+ yrs old mature student studying Access to HE with full time work so not sure if they would suit mature student in a setting that is dominated by young teenage students, mostly of conventional and privilege backgrounds. The hefty fee of £18k is also a concern for me as I doubt if I can afford it....unless I sell up my existing property I currently live in as heard NCH only provides scholarship to younger students without assets. But not sure if I can finance it on 0% my credit cards which I have a higher limit due to my current job as I'm in a middle of my career. I intend to give up my employment once I start LLB degree.

Hey there!

I think that if you like NCH you should just apply! You have nothing to lose, really. If they can't give you a bursary or you decide it's not the place for you then you can just reject the offer. Also, you should look up information on the website about bursaries and scholarships, as I think they award then to everyone who receives an offer!

I applied to NCH and I'm definitely not a conventional and privileged student! I'm 20 and I don't have the best academic track record, though I did kind of get it together last year. I'm also relying on the NCH bursary application and the scholarship I was given to afford the fees. I'm sure a lot of students there are in a similar situation.

I hope this helps!
Reply 69
Hey guys!

Have you received the invitation to the offer holders event in April? It sounds super exciting! Will I be seeing you guys there?
Original post by borbv
Hey guys!

Have you received the invitation to the offer holders event in April? It sounds super exciting! Will I be seeing you guys there?

Hey!! I received my offer yesterday for Politics with Philosophy! SO EXCITED
I'll definitely be coming :-)

By the way, is anyone else having trouble figuring out how they're going to pay the fees? I don't really know what to do since I only have a £2k scholarship...
Reply 71
Hey!! I received my offer yesterday for Politics with Philosophy! SO EXCITED
I'll definitely be coming :-)

By the way, is anyone else having trouble figuring out how they're going to pay the fees? I don't really know what to do since I only have a £2k scholarship...

Hey!! That's so cool, congratulations!! See you in April! 😁

Yes, I also have a £2k scholarship. I just applied for a bursary during the week. I'm banking on getting at least £8k to be able to afford it at the moment. Hopefully they'll send me news soon!
Original post by borbv
Hey!! That's so cool, congratulations!! See you in April! 😁

Yes, I also have a £2k scholarship. I just applied for a bursary during the week. I'm banking on getting at least £8k to be able to afford it at the moment. Hopefully they'll send me news soon!

Thank you! Well done too!

Sorry if I am asking way too many questions but how did you go about applying for your bursary? I just kind of want it done and out of the way, if you know what I mean. Also I didn't apply through UCAS so do you know how I would go about firming it?
Reply 73
Thank you! Well done too!

Sorry if I am asking way too many questions but how did you go about applying for your bursary? I just kind of want it done and out of the way, if you know what I mean. Also I didn't apply through UCAS so do you know how I would go about firming it?

Thank you! 😁

I didn't apply through UCAS either! For the bursary application, NCH emailed me about student finance and in it was a link for an online bursary form. I received it about a week or so after my offer. Each parent/guardian has to fill a form, and they ask about their assets and income and photocopies of payslips and things like that. Took about 20 minutes to fill out!
Original post by borbv
Thank you! 😁

I didn't apply through UCAS either! For the bursary application, NCH emailed me about student finance and in it was a link for an online bursary form. I received it about a week or so after my offer. Each parent/guardian has to fill a form, and they ask about their assets and income and photocopies of payslips and things like that. Took about 20 minutes to fill out!

I just received the email ! Did you find out how much you are eligible for yet?
Mature student doing Access to HE for mid life career change to a career in law. Been rejected for M100 LLB Law by the likes of UCL, KCL and LSE.

A tutor advised me to consider NCH but heard they are at another level next to the likes of Oxbridge and not so sure if I would be able to do both meet their high entry criteria and the high fees as I don't qualify for student finance due to personal circumstances, which was one of the reason I initially applied to the top law schools due to their generous bursury and scholarships being offered. Have unconditional offer from ULaw but they don't have any remaining scholarships/bursary available I guess as I've heard its all been given out hence cannot afford any fees.

Also not sure how leading law firms values or have relationship with NCH as I questioned some at an open career day and some didn't have a clue about NCH......unless if I have misunderstood something.

#LSE #NHC #NCH2016
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 76
I just received the email ! Did you find out how much you are eligible for yet?

No, I haven't heard back yet... Should be hearing soon, though! How are things going with your application?
Reply 77
Original post by UKStudent2016
Mature student doing Access to HE for mid life career change to a career in law. Been rejected for M100 LLB Law by the likes of UCL, KCL and LSE.

A tutor advised me to consider NCH but heard they are at another level next to the likes of Oxbridge and not so sure if I would be able to do both meet their high entry criteria and the high fees as I don't qualify for student finance due to personal circumstances, which was one of the reason I initially applied to the top law schools due to their generous bursury and scholarships being offered. Have unconditional offer from ULaw but they don't have any remaining scholarships/bursary available I guess as I've heard its all been given out hence cannot afford any fees.

Also not sure how leading law firms values or have relationship with NCH as I questioned some at an open career day and some didn't have a clue about NCH......unless if I have misunderstood something.

#LSE #NHC #NCH2016

Hi there,

NCH is like Oxbridge in that they teach using the tutorial system, which can be quite intensive, but it gives you room to explore your own interests and get a personalised education and specific feedback from your tutors. I think it's great!

Also, NCH doesn't have any specific entry requirements, as far as I know. They assess your potential to flourish at NCH by looking at your personal statement, your performance at interview, your specific circumstances as well as your grades. This is part of the reason I like them so much, they acknowledge the fact that people are more than just grades! I have a relatively messy academic record and was rejected by Oxford this year, but received an unconditional offer from NCH.

In terms of the high fees, NCH has their own bursary and scholarship scheme, which they award for anyone who applies who has potential to flourish there and who would not be able to afford it otherwise. I'm not sure what their policy is for 2nd degrees, though, if you already have one. You should look at their website and maybe drop them an email! You have nothing to lose, really.

Their first group of graduates last year did quite well, and a lot of them went on to work for some very prestigious law firms. They also have this info on the website.
Hi everyone! My name is Marta and I am currently a student at NCH! Please feel free to post any questions you have about studying at NCH, student life in London, our 1:1 tutorial system, our liberal arts curriculum etc. and I'll reply as soon as I can. We also still have places available for September 2016 and any Clearing students wishing to apply can speak to a member of our Admissions Team by calling +44 0207 637 4550.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending