Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

personal statements? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    how long should personal statements be?

ReputationRep:
    There’s no word limit if that’s what you’re asking. Instead you have a certain amount of space to use however you want. The best thing to do is download a template of the correct size and work on that. If you really want a rough estimate you can expect to get between 300 to 500 words on the page though this will vary depending on a lot of things. The electronic application system (EAS), works slightly differently and you have less control over the space you use. If you handwrite your statement there are a whole bunch of tricks you can use to get more space.

ReputationRep:
    you should use up all the space available to you. You are allocated a certain number of lines on the ucas website, or you can do it by hand however you want on the paper application, in the space provided. But i cant stress enough, use up all the space - if you dont it just makes you look like you done have anything to say

visit www.studential.com for more info

and read other threads before posting new ones

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the new system for Us Yr 12 is that we do it the computer, the idea of handwritten statements is out. Kinda good really, that way you don't have to worry if you make a mistake

ReputationRep:
    yea paper application is still around, but it's becoming very rare - UCAS and all universities recommend doing it via the website, all 6th form colleges who have tried it, recommend it, and all students who have used it recommend it (well those i have met anyway) - it's a brilliant service, so much better than paper

ReputationRep:
    I did it electronically, I think the limit was on number of lines rather than words if I remember correctly. Mine was about 580 words I think, but I don't know what a typical figure is - I don't think it really matters as long as you cover everything.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.