The Student Room Group

Social Work Applicants 2016!

Hi!

I thought I'd start an official thread for 2016 Social Work Applicants as I can't find many with recent posts. Just wondering if there is anyone that is applying this year and to which universities? Or has anyone had an interview/offer yet?

I am applying to Sheffield Hallam, Northumbria, Leeds Beckett, York and Manchester met.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

I've applied to West London, Bucks, Oxford Brookes, Winchester and Kingston. I had an email today for an interview at Bucks, it's on my birthday and it says it's a minimum of 5 hours long!!! There's a written assessment, group activity then an interview.
Reply 2
Hi
Iv applied to Portsmouth, Winchester, Bournemouth and Southampton Solent, i have an interview for Solent on 17th of February. I'm so nervous for it!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bethaaaanie
Hi!

I thought I'd start an official thread for 2016 Social Work Applicants as I can't find many with recent posts. Just wondering if there is anyone that is applying this year and to which universities? Or has anyone had an interview/offer yet?

I am applying to Sheffield Hallam, Northumbria, Leeds Beckett, York and Manchester met.

Hi, I've applied to York too! Have you had an interview yet?
Reply 4
Original post by clare613
Hi,

I've applied to West London, Bucks, Oxford Brookes, Winchester and Kingston. I had an email today for an interview at Bucks, it's on my birthday and it says it's a minimum of 5 hours long!!! There's a written assessment, group activity then an interview.

Original post by Mcarly14
Hi
Iv applied to Portsmouth, Winchester, Bournemouth and Southampton Solent, i have an interview for Solent on 17th of February. I'm so nervous for it!!

Congrats on your interviews guys, good luck! Have any of you planned for the interview and written assessment? 5 hours is such a long time!
Reply 5
Original post by CharlotteSt
Hi, I've applied to York too! Have you had an interview yet?

Hey! I haven't had an interview yet, I only sent my application off yesterday haha. Have you had an interview?
Reply 6
Hi,
Ive applied to uclan (the best apparently), salford , edge hill and manny met. Currently have two interviews with uclan and salford in a couple of weeks. No idea how to prepare for the interview.. Any tips??
Hey! I haven't had an interview yet, I only sent my application off yesterday haha. Have you had an interview?

I got my interview request a couple of days ago for February... I think the hardest but if it will be the written test because I don't know how to prepare for it 😁
Reply 8
Original post by Ayeshaa98
Hi,
Ive applied to uclan (the best apparently), salford , edge hill and manny met. Currently have two interviews with uclan and salford in a couple of weeks. No idea how to prepare for the interview.. Any tips??

Congrats on your interview:smile:!
I'd say look at any topics in the news relating to Social Work and any current issues, also read through your personal statement and try to pick out some possible questions they could ask you from what you have wrote. That's all I can think of haha.
Reply 9
I got my interview request a couple of days ago for February... I think the hardest but if it will be the written test because I don't know how to prepare for it 😁

Ah good luck! That's the part I'm worried about as well:frown: I've saw some old threads on here where I saw some people say they were sent a letter a week to 24 hours before the interview telling them what the written test would be about so they could prep, hope that still happens!
Reply 10

Bucks have given me a topic to research for my written test
Original post by clare613
Bucks have given me a topic to research for my written test

When did you get that through? Was it with your request or just before you went?
Reply 12
When did you get that through? Was it with your request or just before you went?

They sent it through with the interview invite; I got a checklist of what to bring as well like GSCE certificates and passport.
Thankyou! I'll definetley do that, its this essay thats a bit daunting - dont even know what its on 😭
Original post by Ayeshaa98
Thankyou! I'll definetley do that, its this essay thats a bit daunting - dont even know what its on 😭

www.socialworktoday.com might be useful for you:smile: the essay is what i'm worried about as well, can only do your best! Have you heard anything from manchester met? I've applied there too!
www.socialworktoday.com might be useful for you:smile: the essay is what i'm worried about as well, can only do your best! Have you heard anything from manchester met? I've applied there too!

Ahh thanks!! You too, and nope ive heard nothing from them or edge hill yet. But not too fussed as uclan is my first choice
Ah good luck! That's the part I'm worried about as well:frown: I've saw some old threads on here where I saw some people say they were sent a letter a week to 24 hours before the interview telling them what the written test would be about so they could prep, hope that still happens!

I'm a first year SW student at York, we didn't get any pre-warning about what our written test would be on, we were however instructed to prepare and discuss a situation we had experience discriminatory behaviour in practice, as this would be asked during interview.

Good luck guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmEmTheFairy
I'm a first year SW student at York, we didn't get any pre-warning about what our written test would be on, we were however instructed to prepare and discuss a situation we had experience discriminatory behaviour in practice, as this would be asked during interview.

Good luck guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for that!😊 How are you finding your first year and the uni itself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I've also applied for social work, bournemouth, bristol uwe, bath, plymouth and have received 2 interviews already, one of which is in a couple of days time! from what I've heard, the written exam is generally just to test your grammar and english level! Good luck to all ☺️
Thank you! Iv got 4 articles to read then on the day have to write a response to one they choose, a group discussion and a interview, I'm just going to try and read as much stuff as I can on social work! I'm quite nervous as I don't have much experience in social work job wise.
Congrats on your interviews guys, good luck! Have any of you planned for the interview and written assessment? 5 hours is such a long time!

Quick Reply