maggiedavies
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm in year 12 and currently studying 3 A Levels. I find myself to be really struggling with Biology in particular.
I don't know if it is because for GCSE I only did Core Science and got a B; and didn't do Additional Science.

Anyhow, I know for a fact that I try my best: listen in class, do the homework sheets, and when we have end of topic / unit tests or assessments I put in a lot of revision effort. My teacher has typed up and given us detailed 'notes' in paragraph form for each topic with detailed pictures and diagrams on and I read them and realised it wasn't doing much for me; same with reading the AQA textbook; so for this weeks test I typed out my own bullet points and basically summarised what was on the teacher's notes.

I have failed every test and assessment - mostly Es and Us. It's so depressing and I feel like I'm wasting my time. In my other classes I was getting Ds/Cs and now I've moved up to Bs; but not Biology.

I also find that everything I do learn/remember from class, the notes, and the textbook, is never on the tests/past papers. The same keywords and terminology are included but what is actually being asked I have no idea?

What should I do?
Is it worth getting a revision guide? How about this one?:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Thanks!x
alibevan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The CGP book can be very helpful its worth getting. If you're struggling splitting the cours into different sections, and revising a little each night over the course of the year rather than cramming can be more helpful. Biology doesn't require as much understanding as the other sciences (most would argue anyway)- it just requires alot of memorising
heshamkisher
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by maggiedavies)
I'm in year 12 and currently studying 3 A Levels. I find myself to be really struggling with Biology in particular.
I don't know if it is because for GCSE I only did Core Science and got a B; and didn't do Additional Science.

Anyhow, I know for a fact that I try my best: listen in class, do the homework sheets, and when we have end of topic / unit tests or assessments I put in a lot of revision effort. My teacher has typed up and given us detailed 'notes' in paragraph form for each topic with detailed pictures and diagrams on and I read them and realised it wasn't doing much for me; same with reading the AQA textbook; so for this weeks test I typed out my own bullet points and basically summarised what was on the teacher's notes.

I have failed every test and assessment - mostly Es and Us. It's so depressing and I feel like I'm wasting my time. In my other classes I was getting Ds/Cs and now I've moved up to Bs; but not Biology.

I also find that everything I do learn/remember from class, the notes, and the textbook, is never on the tests/past papers. The same keywords and terminology are included but what is actually being asked I have no idea?

What should I do?
Is it worth getting a revision guide? How about this one?:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Thanks!x
I study A2 biology but I got an E due to having an A in coursework, E in BY2 and U in BY2. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't be allowed to continue onto A2 but they let me in and to resit BY2 as they believe I can get a C. I revised a lot like you last year but sometimes I'd get Bs, others I'd get the same as you but the best thing is to not give up and try harder.

I'm taking a different approach this year. I'm doing a lot of revision but I'm varying techniques. Firstly I type up notes from the text book, then make another word document with everything condensed (if you can condense it, you probably understand it). Diagrams are also really helpful, I've memorised respiration in the form of a diagram and all of the bits remind me of what's going on, for example 2H coming out means that the compound has been dehydrogenated by a dehydrogenase enzyme and passed onto a hydrogen carrier (NAD or FAD depending on the stage and bit of respiration). Revision cards with questions on one side and short answers on the other are handy. Making mind-maps can also help with summaries. Doing questions, even if you need to check the answer is handy as you'll hopefully remember the answer eventually. Discussing it with other biology students is handy too. Whiteboards are good for diagrams. Use powerpoints made by teachers and watch YouTube videos too. Vary your techniques and you'll find what works and what doesn't. I'm running a trial of a mixture of these. Exam technique is my weak area though, but I'm going to drill past papers. Also look at the specification!
maggiedavies
Rep:
?
(Original post by heshamkisher)
I study A2 biology but I got an E due to having an A in coursework, E in BY2 and U in BY2. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't be allowed to continue onto A2 but they let me in and to resit BY2 as they believe I can get a C. I revised a lot like you last year but sometimes I'd get Bs, others I'd get the same as you but the best thing is to not give up and try harder.

I'm taking a different approach this year. I'm doing a lot of revision but I'm varying techniques. Firstly I type up notes from the text book, then make another word document with everything condensed (if you can condense it, you probably understand it). Diagrams are also really helpful, I've memorised respiration in the form of a diagram and all of the bits remind me of what's going on, for example 2H coming out means that the compound has been dehydrogenated by a dehydrogenase enzyme and passed onto a hydrogen carrier (NAD or FAD depending on the stage and bit of respiration). Revision cards with questions on one side and short answers on the other are handy. Making mind-maps can also help with summaries. Doing questions, even if you need to check the answer is handy as you'll hopefully remember the answer eventually. Discussing it with other biology students is handy too. Whiteboards are good for diagrams. Use powerpoints made by teachers and watch YouTube videos too. Vary your techniques and you'll find what works and what doesn't. I'm running a trial of a mixture of these. Exam technique is my weak area though, but I'm going to drill past papers. Also look at the specification!
Thank you so much! Good luck to you!
maggiedavies
Rep:
?
(Original post by alibevan)
The CGP book can be very helpful its worth getting. If you're struggling splitting the cours into different sections, and revising a little each night over the course of the year rather than cramming can be more helpful. Biology doesn't require as much understanding as the other sciences (most would argue anyway)- it just requires alot of memorising
Thank you!
heshamkisher
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by maggiedavies)
Thank you so much! Good luck to you!
No worries, I hope my post was helpful :-)! Thank you and good luck to you too!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.94%
It's just nice to be back! (212)
26.97%
Not great so far... (281)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.34%

Watched Threads