The Student Room Group

Is fat shaming ok?

This whole big is beautiful thing needs to stop. It isn't. It's very unhealthy and a burden on the rest the nation.

I don't condone bullying, but if someone smokes people will often convey their disgust. The same goes for excessive drinking. So, what's the difference? Ultimately there isn't one.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
go away trolly
Reply 2
Not good to bully people because then they will just eat more, but i do agree that our society is too tolerant of obese people, but fat shaming is not the way to solve the crises.
Reply 3
I don't think it is a black and white issue. I don't think that "every weight/size is perfect" like some people think... but at the same time I don't think it's fair to shame fat people.

It is a complex issue, but fundamentally:

- People's appearance should not be affecting your judgment of them when it comes to things unrelated to appearance. E.g. job related.

- Health dangers of obesity and certain foods/lifestyles should be widely recognised and exercise should be promoted.

- People who are fat and happy with what they look like should be applauded and respected, not told that they need to lose weight.

- We should have a wider representation of the various spectrums of humanity in media, from weight to gender to sexuality and race.
Well if shaming people is what you're into then.. it is by and large a lifestyle choice. Therefore it is more acceptable to shame than attributes which a person cannot change.
Original post by Maker
go away trolly

What's the matter? Too much truth for ya?
For being overweight you shouldn't be shamed I'm think of the size 14 girls and the men with dad bods.

Going above that size is where shaming is ok.

Parents of fat children should be whipped or something it's akin to child abuse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Should we not concern ourselves with our own health and body, rather than worry about other people?
Original post by MountKimbie
Should we not concern ourselves with our own health and body, rather than worry about other people?

No we pay for everyone's social benefits in this country and these people don't want to be seen as sub standard when they are

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
No we pay for everyone's social benefits in this country and these people don't want to be seen as sub standard when they are

Posted from TSR Mobile

The majority of overweight people work, and therefore pay tax. I don't understand your point
Remember, the more fat people there are, the less people you have to compete with in apocalyptic settings
Original post by StolenPrivacy
Remember, the more fat people there are, the less people you have to compete with in apocalyptic settings
But they'll outlast you if there is a food shortage.
nah it aint ok tho. because you don't know why someone's fat, really. it's true that obesity is putting pressure on the nation etc - but i don't think i'll just randomly shame an obese person because i have no idea why they're that way. it could just be overeating and gluttony, but then it could also be depression meds, or the aftereffects of surgery. so unless i know why they're obese, i'm not gonna be a dick.

again, this only applies to people who are clinically obese - being overweight isn't much of a problem in my book.
Reply 13
Privatise the NHS and then I won't care how fat people are, how many hours they spend glued to brain-cancer mobile phones, how much alcohol they chug, etc.

Charge them extra for bigger clothes, too.
Totes tits.

Seriously though, body positivity is a good thing, but its getting out of hand now. I wouldn't call it fat shaming. It wouldn't be a bad thing. I'd just like the fat glorifying to stop. People have started implying that being fat is better than being skinny; more beautiful. What? Seriously? Come on, guys. All this but you're too lazy to go for a jog?

And reasons outside laziness and gluttony causing obesity are a minuscule fraction of the overall sample.

This is coming from someone who used to be overweight. Its not hard losing weight when you're fat.
Reply 15
Original post by The Wavefunction
What's the matter? Too much truth for ya?

Too much judgemental BS.
Original post by Badabadabwah
But they'll outlast you if there is a food shortage.

Yeah but if there's a zombie apocalypse, they'll be the first to go.
Original post by MountKimbie
The majority of overweight people work, and therefore pay tax. I don't understand your point

But they'll cost more than they put in. I, on the other hand, will cost less than i put in (in terms of obesity caused illness).
Fat shaming is bullying, so no it's not okay. If you have an issue with someone's weight, then feel free to tell them in a productive, not degrading, manner. The issue is that people have different perceptions of what's unhealthy and what's just being fat. Obviously if someone were obese, I wouldn't encourage their lifestyle, but a lot of the body positivity posts I've seen with acceptably fat women still get criticised, which is ridiculous.
Original post by Treeroy

- People who are fat and happy with what they look like should be applauded and respected, not told that they need to lose weight.

Nobody should be applauded for being happily unhealthy. In my view fat shaming is perfectly okay, like you said nobody feels bad about voicing their disgust toward smokers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending