The Student Room Group

Are these good GCSE results ? in general...?

1 A*
4 A
4 B

Are these good ? please be as straight up as you can.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Depends on what you're aiming for.
As they ^ said, it depends on what you're aiming for, but I'd personally say those are great results!
Original post by saladays
As they ^ said, it depends on what you're aiming for, but I'd personally say those are great results!

aiming for med school ?
Original post by money-for-all
aiming for med school ?

What subjects did you get what grades in?
aiming for med school ?

Well I can't say whether it's good enough myself but I think as long as you've put all the other work in and continue to achieve and put in extra effort you've nothing to worry about :smile:
Original post by homeland.lsw
What subjects did you get what grades in?

chem A*
Math, Bio , Physics and business: A
Eng lang , eng lit , computing and art B
someone ?
1 A*
4 A
4 B

Thanks

For Oxford medicine (and most if not all medical schools) - no chance.

But for other things, they could be quite good. I doubt most Russell Group Unis would reject you on the back of those for most courses, providing you can give a better performance at AS/A-level.

What do you want to do?
Original post by Cadherin
For Oxford medicine (and most if not all medical schools) - no chance.

But for other things, they could be quite good. I doubt most Russell Group Unis would reject you on the back of those for most courses, providing you can give a better performance at AS/A-level.

What do you want to do?

I want to do Medicine xD
1 A*
4 A
4 B

Thanks

These are good GCSEs. A minimum of 5 Cs are needed for college and 6 Bs at least for a grammar schools such as Bishop's Wordsworth, in relevant subjects you want to take at level 3 too.
Original post by heshamkisher
These are good GCSEs. A minimum of 5 Cs are needed for college and 6 Bs at least for a grammar schools such as Bishop's Wordsworth, in relevant subjects you want to take at level 3 too.

are they good enough to get into one of the medical uni's ?
I want to do Medicine xD

Ouch - sorry to be brutally honest, but, unless you have extenuating circumstances, then they won't be good enough I'm afraid. Maybe if you get 95-100% AS-level average and a very high BMAT, Cambridge might look at your application. Others though put a high emphasis on GCSE and you'll find it very difficult without resits.

I've had 2 rejections so far (Oxford and King's - although King's was due to UKCAT) with 8A*2A at GCSE and an A* at A-level done at the same time, so it's extremely competitive. For example, Oxford received nearly 12 applications per place this year for medicine.

Although they say one thing on entry requirements (e.g. AAABB in sciences, maths, Lang, etc.), what they actually want for a competitive application is a highish proportion and number of A*s.

Could you consider GCSE resits, as this would improve your academic profile? (Please don't feel as if I'm being horrible about it, but I don't want to sugar-coat things, as it never helps).
are they good enough to get into one of the medical uni's ?

They should be. I'm preparing for a degree in Forensic Science so I'm not quite up for medicine but after taking a quick look, depending on the university they should be fine!
Original post by Cadherin
Ouch - sorry to be brutally honest, but, unless you have extenuating circumstances, then they won't be good enough I'm afraid. Maybe if you get 95-100% AS-level average and a very high BMAT, Cambridge might look at your application. Others though put a high emphasis on GCSE and you'll find it very difficult without resits.

I've had 2 rejections so far (Oxford and King's - although King's was due to UKCAT) with 8A*2A at GCSE and an A* at A-level done at the same time, so it's extremely competitive. For example, Oxford received nearly 12 applications per place this year for medicine.

Although they say one thing on entry requirements (e.g. AAABB in sciences, maths, Lang, etc.), what they actually want for a competitive application is a highish proportion and number of A*s.

Could you consider GCSE resits, as this would improve your academic profile? (Please don't feel as if I'm being horrible about it, but I don't want to sugar-coat things, as it never helps).

i dont want to get into Oxford or Cambridge though.

will my gcse's be good enough for one of the many medical uni's , for example keele uni etc ?
Original post by heshamkisher
They should be. I'm preparing for a degree in Forensic Science so I'm not quite up for medicine but after taking a quick look, depending on the university they should be fine!

thanks so much ! ,

just one last question , what would be the best 4 uni's to apply for considering just GCSE results ?
Reply 16
1 A*
4 A
4 B

Thanks

Better than mine anyway.
Original post by Awais_
Better than mine anyway.

What were your's , if you dont mind me asking ?

and what career are you aiming for ?
i dont want to get into Oxford or Cambridge though.

will my gcse's be good enough for one of the many medical uni's , for example keele uni etc ?

With those GCSEs and very hard work next year to get 95%+, Cambridge may be a possibility for you but that's about it.

I'm afraid all the others (as far as I'm aware) put a strong emphasis on GCSE performance.

http://www.keele.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduatemedicalcourse/entryrouteshowtoapply/

For example, if you look at Keele, the minimum requirement is 5A at GCSE. When they say 'minimum', in essence, no-one gets accepted with those grades unless they have extenuating circumstances. Candidates will be ranked up against each other based on factors such as GCSE performance, as opposed to passing a threshold.

Now your A-level courses are changing and not everyone will do first year AS-levels, there will be an even larger emphasis on GCSE.

If you're really set on medicine, I would advise resitting to try and get mainly A*s and an A or two in English Language, maths and all the sciences.
Reply 19
What were your's , if you dont mind me asking ?

and what career are you aiming for ?

Teaching or Chemical Engineering.

1 B
4 C
2 D

I didn't really bother with them or try as much as I could have. In the real GCSE I can do much better. :-)

Quick Reply

Latest