The Student Room Group

Do you carry a rape alarm?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thecatwithnohat
Personally, I don't. Not necessarily out of choice but because I don't think it'll be of much use.

I did have one when I was 11 though (because there were a lot of letters going home about stupid girls hopping into strangers' cars). Also, I accidentally once set it off in class and my teacher starting evacuating everyone and I was too chicken to say to admit that it was my psycho repellent :colonhash:

I just feel like in this day and age, everyone is so concerned about their own safety that they're hesitant to go out of their way and help others when they're in danger and are more likely to put their head down and cross the road.

For example, if a woman was getting attacked at night, one would be hesitant to get themselves involved because they haven't a clue what the attacker is capable of. From that perspective, I understand but at the same time, I'm just wondering whether you'd appreciate it if someone did the same if you were in the victim's position?

What about you girls, though? Do you carry one? Did you ever carry one? Do you own one? Why or why not?

And you guys? Do you think there's ever any point in a woman carrying a rape alarm? Do you think that shouting "FIRE TFFFFFF" is more effective than a siren? Would you help?

:beard:
How sexist and patriarchal of you for colour-coding your questions!

Anyway, I think any sort of help is welcomed to deter crime (even if its efficacy is dubious). I wouldn't want to be in a position where I would say to myself, "if only I had brought my rape alarm, I might not have been raped."
I guess a rape alarm might be useful, the rapist might not expect it and might panic and run or something (they are so damn loud). if i heard something that sounded like a rape alarm I would try and help
Original post by BookBird

But seriously, I've never carried one. I've got this goal in mind to become great at marital arts, because like someone mentioned previously, even with an alarm, people won't always come to the rescue.

If your anything like Yuno its rip for any attacker ^^
Idek what that is but if it will help, why not though I feel like some jujitsu and pepper spray could help...
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Never heard of such a thing , lmao

It's sad girls have to worry about such things though , i think if i did see a women being attacked i would be inclined to help i wouldn't be able to just walk by.

You haven't heard of one because you don't really need one haha. Well, you can get sexually assaulted still.

And yes, indeed it's sad. It's nice that you'd consider helping though. :h:
The pic :lol:

I do Judo currently, and it really does instil some confidence in you for when you go out in the night alone.

How is it? I started Karate but I think I might switch to Tae-Kwon-Do. Trying to find the one that works for me ^^;
Personally, I don't. Not necessarily out of choice but because I don't think it'll be of much use.

I did have one when I was 11 though (because there were a lot of letters going home about stupid girls hopping into strangers' cars). Also, I accidentally once set it off in class and my teacher starting evacuating everyone and I was too chicken to say to admit that it was my psycho repellent :colonhash:

I just feel like in this day and age, everyone is so concerned about their own safety that they're hesitant to go out of their way and help others when they're in danger and are more likely to put their head down and cross the road.

For example, if a woman was getting attacked at night, one would be hesitant to get themselves involved because they haven't a clue what the attacker is capable of. From that perspective, I understand but at the same time, I'm just wondering whether you'd appreciate it if someone did the same if you were in the victim's position?

What about you girls, though? Do you carry one? Did you ever carry one? Do you own one? Why or why not?

And you guys? Do you think there's ever any point in a woman carrying a rape alarm? Do you think that shouting "FIRE TFFFFFF" is more effective than a siren? Would you help?

:beard:

Im female. No I don't, but I'd have a very piercing scream and am am very good at self defence. I can take down a mugger or anyone like that in under 5 seconds and in a way that'll prevent tge from getting up off the ground for a good 10 minutes. It has been tested, both on a qualified martial arts person and on an actual mugger. Trust me, it works!
Original post by Badabadabwah
How sexist and patriarchal of you for colour-coding your questions!

I knew someone would point it out sooner or later :colonhash:
Original post by Xmas lover
Im female. No I don't, but I'd have a very piercing scream and am am very good at self defence. I can take down a mugger or anyone like that in under 5 seconds and in a way that'll prevent tge from getting up off the ground for a good 10 minutes. It has been tested, both on a qualified martial arts person and on an actual mugger. Trust me, it works!

What is this technique you speak of? :beard:
Reply 29
Yes, I carry one when I walk back late at night from seeing friends and my bf isn't with me. I live in Central London which is usually busy at night but often I get approached by strange men at night.

Original post by CoolCavy
i find that my general appearance and aura is enough of a deterrent to anyone so no i don't

I don't mean to scare you hun, but physical appearance has nothing to do with being a victim of sexual assault or rape.
I need to get one of those and take it into my exams, so every time AQA tries to bend me over I would know what to do:u:
I see no reason why a sensible woman wouldn't want to carry one.
Reply 32
i think it's useful because i know in a situation like that i would completely freeze up and not be able to utter a single word let alone scream for help! and the fire thing just will not come to my blank mind...

but i dont have one - simply bc i never bought one ...

i should ._.
But what if you end up in a situation like Will from Inbetweeners 2 :zomg:
What is this technique you speak of? :beard:

It's kind of my own technique, but basically it consists of getting tgem in the groin and nose and if you can, kicking them hard in the stomach to get them down. Once they're down, slam your heel into their solar plexus and roll them over. This way you can pin their arms behind them and shout for help. You need to be careful though as too hard a kick could break a rin or cause internal bleeding. A group is just harder, but generally a bigger person won't sprint ars fast because they're heavier so need more power. At least I think that the case...
Original post by somemightsay888
But what if you end up in a situation like Will from Inbetweeners 2 :zomg:

Just don't finger a girl to her sleep in someone else's bed and you will be OK:biggrin:
I have a rape alarm.

Carried it for a few days. Then I scared myself that I would set off the alarm by mistake. :tongue:

Since then I don't think I carried it.

Although I think I should because I feel like I get stalked at times.
Original post by BookBird

But seriously, I've never carried one. I've got this goal in mind to become great at marital arts, because like someone mentioned previously, even with an alarm, people won't always come to the rescue.

I didn't know it was a thing for spouses to do taekwondo together?!:h:

I have carried a personal alarm for about a year but have never considered it to be a 'rape alarm' as such; just something that could alert others if I was in danger.
Why is this thread directed towards women? You know men can get sexually harassed, even raped, too? This thread has sexism written all over it. smh.:angry:
Original post by Tom Jickleson
Why is this thread directed towards women? You know men can get sexually harassed, even raped, too? This thread has sexism written all over it. smh.:angry:

Because I don't ever hear of rape alarms getting thrown at men as much as I do women. Also, I'm speaking from my view as a woman, I cannot talk about what I do not know.

You tsrians always have something to complain about. I'm only asking whether you carry one or not lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending