The Student Room Group

Do you carry a rape alarm?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
i do
No. I don't see the point. There's a risk of her setting it off.

Spoiler

I think it's worth carrying one if for no other reason to give you a small bit of protection, but I don't think they should be relied on completley. Because like people have said it's not a garuntee anyone will come to help, but you might scare the attacker off.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
They look like this

You simply tug the chain out and it lets out a deafening siren

It's not about where I live lmao, the area I live in is a pretty safe area but you can never be too careful.

Problem I have reported with these rape alarms is that they can be set-off accidentally in bags etc.. here's WE Alarms answer which apparently get's around the problem.
Here's an article which I found interesting based on a Rape Alarms Recent Survey and Public Body Obligations.

Recent surveys indicated that one-third of female students in Britain had experienced sexual assault or unwanted advances while at college. How are universities addressing the challenge? Full summary on WE Alarms website.
Do people live in an area where someone is trying to rape them constantly??
I'm a black belt in taekwondo, believe me I don't need no alarm...
Reply 127
I remembermy mum ordered my sister one once through my online account so naturally when it arrived i opened it and accidentally activated it... good god that was surprise.
The gf has a UK legal form of 'eve aid' spray which isn't an alarm but gives off an odour which apparently induces vomiting and also has UV marker in it.

Screenshot 2018-04-07 at 08.14.58.png
Setting off rape alarms by accident is a real concern and unfortunately could stop students carrying one - I've recently been tasked with investigating this problem and gathering feedback. There appears to be categories of personal alarms which generally fall into 3 categories small spray attacker WE Alarms which emit high pitch sound and spray DNA markers or even foul smelling pungent, keyring rape alarms that are designed to fit on a bag or keyring and panic button type alarms which are linked to monitoring centre or an app.

It’s the keyring alarms which are designed to be mobile, that have been reported as likely to set off accidently. In particular the smaller push button alarms have been reported as being set off in bags when items push against the button. A pull cord has been added to avoid this but once pulled it’s finished. I guess manufacturers are still perfecting the designs and Police approved alarms is not always a guarantee that they’ll not be false alarms. We’re still gathering peoples experiences so if you have any, please do let me know.
Guy here. I can shout loud, but I noone would have so I needn't worry :h:
Original post by Axiomasher
The gf has a UK legal form of 'eve aid' spray which isn't an alarm but gives off an odour which apparently induces vomiting and also has UV marker in it.

Screenshot 2018-04-07 at 08.14.58.png

There's a whole range of these and you get and a high pitch 120dB rape alarm included, they manufactured in the UK, so they legal too. Try WE Alarms, the Trident Triple Action does sound alarm, UV and Foul smell.
The majority of rapes aren't the stereotypical old-guy-in-dark-alleyway thing, it's usually by someone the victim knows already. So I'm doubting that it has had a significant impact.
Attacks on lone workers and health care professionals i.e. at work, is a real problem. So much so that a report was commissioned by the NHS to look into it. It is widely recognised that this group of NHS staff face significantly higher risk than non-lone workers as they do not have the immediate support of colleagues or others nearby. Lone workers personal safety devices report.
Original post by HML_williams
There's a whole range of these and you get and a high pitch 120dB rape alarm included, they manufactured in the UK, so they legal too. Try WE Alarms, the Trident Triple Action does sound alarm, UV and Foul smell.

Do you have shares in WE Alarms or something?

I live deep in the countryside, so very unlikely I'd ever be mugged, let alone raped during my day to day business. But nevertheless, you can still encounter some nasty characters. When I go out walking in the hills and forests, I take my stout hazel walking staff, nice to have on uneven ground and makes an excellent defensive tool if needs be.

In towns and cities, especially when I'm out at night, I always carry a small torch. Good for dazzling an attacker's eyes, and can be used for striking too. I wouldn't bother with a rape alarm ever. Many studies have shown that the vast majority of people will flat out ignore any alarms they hear. They assume that they're either going off by accident, or that somebody else will already be dealing with the problem. You'd probably have better luck getting people's attention by simply shouting for help. And I'd very hesitant to entrust my life to these gimmicky self defence sprays.
nah I got this instead

It's good for killing ears

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending