The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

May get suspended for some time from Warwick

I'm a first year international student at Warwick and my father has a problem with paying the first installment fee which is 50% of the total.

As he is an entrepreneur and often invests money, he is currently experiencing a delay with his partner who needs to return him some funds. The good thing is this is a temporary thing only.

However the first installment is still not paid and Warwick finance told me that they will suspend me next week until I pay. From what I gathered the suspension is not that serious as I can still attend lectures but won't have supervisions and such things, but as I am an international student I am worried about my Visa as university must report non payment of fees to the border agency.
I am also worried that the uni won't let me take the January exams which I have next week, or will they do no such thing?

Did anyone have experience with this?

The good news is that my father will pay the fee in a week or two. I will send an email to notify them of that but I already told them a few times that the fee will be paid soon so they may not believe me anymore.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
I think this question best be talked with the university.

Good luck friend, hopefully things will work out. Remember, the people working at universities are also human, all too human, and will try to help you. After all, you are (what is it now 11k?) an investment, you are a fee-paying asset. They don't want to lose you, they are not out there to get you, they are there to help you (and get paid).

Honestly, go talk with the student finance dept. Alternatively the tutor that is most favourable.

Or, if all else fails, and you don't want to be repeating a year: go look for a loan you can take, I know this would be a major drain, but it's probably worth it rather than repeating a year and paying the full price again.
Reply 3
Original post by Archdukes
I think this question best be talked with the university.

Good luck friend, hopefully things will work out. Remember, the people working at universities are also human, all too human, and will try to help you. After all, you are (what is it now 11k?) an investment, you are a fee-paying asset. They don't want to lose you, they are not out there to get you, they are there to help you (and get paid).

Honestly, go talk with the student finance dept. Alternatively the tutor that is most favourable.

Or, if all else fails, and you don't want to be repeating a year: go look for a loan you can take, I know this would be a major drain, but it's probably worth it rather than repeating a year and paying the full price again.

Thanks for the reply.
As I am an international student I pay almost 27K for a year including accommodation!

My father thankfully paid the first instalment of 12K but the second one was due 10. January and he still did not pay that one.
Even though we paid the first instalment the people from student finance keep sending me emails that they will suspend me (not kick me out, just suspend me until I pay) if I do not pay the second instalment soon.

The suspension isn't the problem in terms of Uni since as soon as I pay I won't be suspended any more. The thing which concerns me is Visa, they might cancel my Visa which will mean that I will have to go back to my home country, apply for a new Visa, pay 1K pounds again and lose a few weeks of time.
Also the student finance team did not even have the decency to see me in person. I wanted to talk to them in person several weeks ago and they would not see me, so the only correspondence we have is via email.
They are really acting like this is straight business and we are some standard consumers, not students.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest