Should I take a gap year so that I can apply for Cambridge 2017?

Watch this thread
simbasdragon
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I applied to Oxford this year and got as far as the interview round. I found out I was rejected on Wednesday but I can't give up this longing to go to Oxford or Cambridge. I liked both universities equally, and ended up choosing Oxford purely because my teacher recommended it to me.

If i get 4A* this year at A2, as I'm predicted, would it be worth me risking reapplying next year?

My family are very against me doing a gap year, and I'm not overly keen myself. However, I really feel like I want to go to Cambridge, and don't want to waste an opportunity.
username1865079
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by simbasdragon)
So I applied to Oxford this year and got as far as the interview round. I found out I was rejected on Wednesday but I can't give up this longing to go to Oxford or Cambridge. I liked both universities equally, and ended up choosing Oxford purely because my teacher recommended it to me.

If i get 4A* this year at A2, as I'm predicted, would it be worth me risking reapplying next year?

My family are very against me doing a gap year, and I'm not overly keen myself. However, I really feel like I want to go to Cambridge, and don't want to waste an opportunity.
The first and most important thing you need to do is to ask yourself why you think you need to go to Oxbridge so much. You are good enough to apply to Oxford, with your teachers' recommendation, so I'm sure you'll get/have got offer/s from very good universities this year. If you genuinely prefer a course Cambridge offers in your subject to that of those other universities, then that's a good, sensible reason to re-apply next year.
But if you just want to get in to Oxbridge because it's been your long-time 'dream' or for its name/brand-sake? If your answer is 'yes' to either of these (esp. latter), don't bother.
Oxbridge is NEVER be all and end all, nor are they for everyone. You should only choose Oxford/Cambridge because you like their course, foremost, and perhaps also because they offer you something other universities don't. (like, perhaps, collegiate-system or their style of teaching, like supervisions). Any other reason is not a right reason to choose Oxbridge, I don't think.

Probably you don't know me, but I'm not an applicant but a parent of a recent Cambridge graduate. I have many around me who've been to Oxbridge (mostly Cambridge) and I can tell you that whether having been to Oxbridge or not does not affect how your life after uni is going to be as much as some people may be thinking. Honestly.
simbasdragon
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by vincrows)
The first and most important thing you need to do is to ask yourself why you think you need to go to Oxbridge so much. You are good enough to apply to Oxford, with your teachers' recommendation, so I'm sure you'll get/have got offer/s from very good universities this year. If you genuinely prefer a course Cambridge offers in your subject to that of those other universities, then that's a good, sensible reason to re-apply next year.
But if you just want to get in to Oxbridge because it's been your long-time 'dream' or for its name/brand-sake? If your answer is 'yes' to either of these (esp. latter), don't bother.
Oxbridge is NEVER be all and end all, nor are they for everyone. You should only choose Oxford/Cambridge because you like their course, foremost, and perhaps also because they offer you something other universities don't. (like, perhaps, collegiate-system or their style of teaching, like supervisions). Any other reason is not a right reason to choose Oxbridge, I don't think.

Probably you don't know me, but I'm not an applicant but a parent of a recent Cambridge graduate. I have many around me who've been to Oxbridge (mostly Cambridge) and I can tell you that whether having been to Oxbridge or not does not affect how your life after uni is going to be as much as some people may be thinking. Honestly.
Thankyou so much for responding. Deep down,I suppose it's because I feel like I've failed. People are treating me differently now, as if I'm no longer seen as intelligent, and I feel like I've let myself down.

I know this isn't the right reason to apply, it's just hard when you've thought about it and imagined yourself there for so long, to have it crushed.
Rachelod21
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
OMG goodness I'm only in year eleven and I have the same ambitions,. I know I haven't been through the whole university process but Oxbridge is my dream. Don't feel like a failure. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be this year. U have the ability to apply so there is no harm in applying next year. I wish u the very best of luck, congratulations on your predicted grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ekno
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Gap Year's are sick. Im on one now
username1865079
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Thankyou so much for responding. Deep down,I suppose it's because I feel like I've failed. People are treating me differently now, as if I'm no longer seen as intelligent, and I feel like I've let myself down.

I know this isn't the right reason to apply, it's just hard when you've thought about it and imagined yourself there for so long, to have it crushed.
Just getting rejected by Oxford does NOT make you a less-intelligent person. I'm sure you're good enough to get offer from some of top RG universities, and there're many people who'd kill to get an offer from them. If anyone really thinks you're not intelligent because you didn't get into Oxford, it's him/her who is not intelligent, not you.

I know many people who didn't get into Oxbridge, but in a long term it's just a tiny weeny blip in their life. Nothing more. They're as successful in their life as their friends who went to Oxbridge. Some of them went to do master/PhD at Oxbridge after doing undergrad at other uni, so that's one possibility you can explore if you still want to got to Oxbridge in a few years time and if they offer you a course you want to take.

Have a very good look at the course at Cambridge in your subject and compare it with those of other unis you applied to and got offer from. If you really genuinely prefer that of Cambridge, then yes, you can risk re-applying. (But don't forget it's a risk.) But other than that, just forget about Oxbridge for now and concentrate on securing an offer you get from other uni at the coming A2/IB exam later this year.
sweeneyrod
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

If you receive 4A*'s at A2 (with high UMS, for Cambridge) it is certainly worth considering applying. If I get rejected from Cambridge on Tuesday, but go on to get A*A*A* and 1,1 in STEP I will certainly take a gap year and reapply.
aishamarie
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Go for it and reapply if you want to!
I know someone who applied to Cam, got rejected and then after A2 results day (with a place at uni waiting for him) decided to take a gap year and apply. He was offered a place at a mature students college so he's on another gap year and will start at Cam in October this year

There is always hope and if you get those 4A*s (and they're fairly strong) there's no reason why you shouldn't be invited to interview.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (156)
40.84%
They're exactly what I expected (95)
24.87%