ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by -so-fly)
I will be paying for the course myself and have had a look at opentuition.com. Do you recommend just studying from opentuition.com or actually going with an approved content provider such as BPP?
I've never studied with any of them myself and have worked for companies which paid trainees to go to BPP/ Kaplan so not really well placed to ask. I'll ask one of my staff to have a look at open tuition to see if they think its any good. From what I've seen of their website and student board the students think its a good method - at least comparable to buying similar courses (home study plus videos) from Kaplan.

The problem with paying for Kaplan/ BPP courses is that they are expensive.

I've just looked at the costs for the first 3 papers for Kaplan in London. For weekend study the cost comes to £1,600 plus exam costs. If you do 5 exams a year thats seriously amounts of money.

The distance learning courses come to £378 plus exam costs. If you use open learning I think you need to buy some sample papers, but these may be available second hand depending on syllabus changes.
-so-fly
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
I've never studied with any of them myself and have worked for companies which paid trainees to go to BPP/ Kaplan so not really well placed to ask. I'll ask one of my staff to have a look at open tuition to see if they think its any good. From what I've seen of their website and student board the students think its a good method - at least comparable to buying similar courses (home study plus videos) from Kaplan.

The problem with paying for Kaplan/ BPP courses is that they are expensive.

I've just looked at the costs for the first 3 papers for Kaplan in London. For weekend study the cost comes to £1,600 plus exam costs. If you do 5 exams a year thats seriously amounts of money.

The distance learning courses come to £378 plus exam costs. If you use open learning I think you need to buy some sample papers, but these may be available second hand depending on syllabus changes.
So I have decided to go with opentuition.com and buy a study kit to support my studies from Kaplan. So I was just wondering what order should I do F1-3? Or does it not matter? I remember when talking on the phone to BPP they said they would ask me do F3 first and then F1 and F2?
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by -so-fly)
So I have decided to go with opentuition.com and buy a study kit to support my studies from Kaplan. So I was just wondering what order should I do F1-3? Or does it not matter? I remember when talking on the phone to BPP they said they would ask me do F3 first and then F1 and F2?
I asked about and taking F3 first seems to be the general advice.
Aex
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's wrong. Just look the passing rates for professional level subjects. ACA has 80% passing rate and Acca has 30%-55% passing rate. In other words is very hard NOT to pass an Aca exam and is very hard to pass an Acca exam
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Aex)
That's wrong. Just look the passing rates for professional level subjects. ACA has 80% passing rate and Acca has 30%-55% passing rate. In other words is very hard NOT to pass an Aca exam and is very hard to pass an Acca exam
To do ACA you pretty much need a training contract. These usually demand high exams grades. ACA trainees generally get good classroom tuition. Its not a real comparison.
Powertrader
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cream candidates go to ACA. By product go to ACCA and do the left over of ACA,wake up man ! We have not seen any ACCA firm audit bank and large companies. Why givewrong info to public, shame on you.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Powertrader)
Cream candidates go to ACA. By product go to ACCA and do the left over of ACA,wake up man ! We have not seen any ACCA firm audit bank and large companies. Why givewrong info to public, shame on you.
Misinfomed. ACA firms audit large institutions - thats what they do! There are lots of benefits to training in that environment. That doesn't mean that the same person who has a choice of training with a big 4 firm for ACA or a FTSE hundred type grad scheme taking ACCA will do better under either institute.
Powertrader
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Misinfomed. ACA firms audit large institutions - thats what they do! There are lots of benefits to training in that environment. That doesn't mean that the same person who has a choice of training with a big 4 firm for ACA or a FTSE hundred type grad scheme taking ACCA will do better under either institute.
Mamamiya......you are still thinking ACCA is better than ACA or at par, which planet are you from -then u go ahead ..........ACA has A level scheme in big 4, you need not to be a grad ! Look up your local directory, see for yourselves, if I am wrong pls correct me, cream candidates go to ACA, by products go to ACCA and others. Give yourselves a chance eh....for ACA,then you will never regret but passing rate is small. Prepare for the worst if your fail one subject in any section below 39%, u r out which stated in the contract. In this world, key position in any companies or education establishments, it is always hold by ACA. Any left over to feed the 'chicken and ducks'. You can scream and shout, it would not help you. of course, if you have connection-nepotism,-, you may make it to the top in any companies but you would not last long because of the business environment.
You may think ACA and ACCA do the same work , no ACA does no work and ACCA/ICMA/CPA etc does all the donkey work ( this is the fact ) or by QBE may knock you out -cheaper, so ACCA watch out ! There is why ACCA operates in small firms ( capture by products or left over of the market ) and sooner or later will go burst or the HMRC and cashflow will bust you anyway. this is how I see for the past 50 changes in Accountancy market. Sadly Im just one of the by product or left over ! depressing eh !
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mamamiya......you are still thinking ACCA is better than ACA or at par, which planet are you from -then u go ahead ..........ACA has A level scheme in big 4, you need not to be a grad ! Look up your local directory, see for yourselves, if I am wrong pls correct me, cream candidates go to ACA, by products go to ACCA and others. Give yourselves a chance eh....for ACA,then you will never regret but passing rate is small. Prepare for the worst if your fail one subject in any section below 39%, u r out which stated in the contract. In this world, key position in any companies or education establishments, it is always hold by ACA. Any left over to feed the 'chicken and ducks'. You can scream and shout, it would not help you. of course, if you have connection-nepotism,-, you may make it to the top in any companies but you would not last long because of the business environment.
You may think ACA and ACCA do the same work , no ACA does no work and ACCA/ICMA/CPA etc does all the donkey work ( this is the fact ) or by QBE may knock you out -cheaper, so ACCA watch out ! There is why ACCA operates in small firms ( capture by products or left over of the market ) and sooner or later will go burst or the HMRC and cashflow will bust you anyway. this is how I see for the past 50 changes in Accountancy market. Sadly Im just one of the by product or left over ! depressing eh !
I'm a big 4 trained ACA. I've recruited and managed people of all backgrounds. You are seriously overestimating the power of ACA. Do you think that people who get onto the Virgin/ BT/ HSBC grad schemes dont have great careers?

My suggestion would be that the key factors apart from your abilities and efforts are who your employers are in early career as this helps progression, academic grades - also helps find jobs for many years in the future.

For some top jobs ACA is over-represented - outside of these there really is not a huge difference for candidates of the same ability.
Powertrader
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm a big 4 trained ACA. I've recruited and managed people of all backgrounds. You are seriously overestimating the power of ACA. Do you think that people who get onto the Virgin/ BT/ HSBC grad schemes dont have great careers?

My suggestion would be that the key factors apart from your abilities and efforts are who your employers are in early career as this helps progression, academic grades - also helps find jobs for many years in the future.

For some top jobs ACA is over-represented - outside of these there really is not a huge difference for candidates of the same ability.
Hmmmm...........sound like you are the by product of the top 4 or traitor to ACA. Don't you think it is sad fruit cake -getting personal now. Go and get a proper accountancy job. Anything outside top 4, virgin,BT ,HSBC etc do not count. They should do ICMA.

I was so fed up that I change my job to BOOK RUNNER for banks/Trust, no qualification is needed. I am dealing with financial instrument over USD$billion each trade. ACA and ACCA are not the same par. Yes, I agree depend on individuals, one or two nutter ACCA will match ACA, it is like finding an Extra Terrestrial ( ET ) on this earth.lol. In accountancy job market, you have to be unique like CA/ACA and not ACCA ( second rate ), pointless to to talk and talk just like saliva more than tea. ACCA grad get pay £25 if u lucky, whereby ACA trainee in London get £32k, u see the gap pay ! If you are from Oxbridge, normally, u get in like a piece of cake to Top 4.

Take normal case ACA grad get £50- 80k ( actuary) or extreme case get USD$2m a year ( I have seen pay slip- cheese me off ), what does ACCA grad get ,may be £28k if u r lucky in small firm. Most of the top bankers in UK are ACA for your information. Evidences say it all, my jolly young chap ! go and chew some old grass and we talk again !
swarup2387
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,Would someone help to list a few bullet points on why choose ACA over ACCA. The main advantages for the student please.
jobho
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ACCA is more prestigious . It has more members in the world than ACA . It has introduced an innovative case study exam called Strategic business leadership , It is recognised as an Audit Qualifcation in UK and most parts of the world , its members can study further MBA with oxford brooks university , it has also partnered with Oxford university to provide its members with a post graduate diploma in financial strategy . University of london masters in professional accountancy . ACCA exams are very tougher than those of ACA . ACCA members can obtain direct membership to ACA through pathway to membership .
hanley9
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jobho)
ACCA is more prestigious . It has more members in the world than ACA . It has introduced an innovative case study exam called Strategic business leadership , It is recognised as an Audit Qualifcation in UK and most parts of the world , its members can study further MBA with oxford brooks university , it has also partnered with Oxford university to provide its members with a post graduate diploma in financial strategy . University of london masters in professional accountancy . ACCA exams are very tougher than those of ACA . ACCA members can obtain direct membership to ACA through pathway to membership .
Disregard half the crap this person has posted. They're making it up as they go along.
Theog9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hmmmm...........sound like you are the by product of the top 4 or traitor to ACA. Don't you think it is sad fruit cake -getting personal now. Go and get a proper accountancy job. Anything outside top 4, virgin,BT ,HSBC etc do not count. They should do ICMA. I was so fed up that I change my job to BOOK RUNNER for banks/Trust, no qualification is needed. I am dealing with financial instrument over USD$billion each trade. ACA and ACCA are not the same par. Yes, I agree depend on individuals, one or two nutter ACCA will match ACA, it is like finding an Extra Terrestrial ( ET ) on this earth.lol. In accountancy job market, you have to be unique like CA/ACA and not ACCA ( second rate ), pointless to to talk and talk just like saliva more than tea. ACCA grad get pay £25 if u lucky, whereby ACA trainee in London get £32k, u see the gap pay ! If you are from Oxbridge, normally, u get in like a piece of cake to Top 4.Take normal case ACA grad get £50- 80k ( actuary) or extreme case get USD$2m a year ( I have seen pay slip- cheese me off ), what does ACCA grad get ,may be £28k if u r lucky in small firm. Most of the top bankers in UK are ACA for your information. Evidences say it all, my jolly young chap ! go and chew some old grass and we talk again !
My dear, you forgot to mention the best... With the "second rate" qualification you get the ACA as well. Go to ICAEW website and check about the direct pathways. Also, the £2m employee if he want to get the ACCA as well, he has to sit additional 4 exams. So choose!
mark.s__
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The only people who think that one is better than the other are the Students and Members in their respective institutes themselves.
maxler
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This debate will never end! As the above post mentions, it is in the eye of the students/members! In my personal opinion, do neither and create a career where you're not shackled down by an institution which really does not care about its members- we are merely assigned a number and provide annual subscription fees... (I'm ACA by the way, unfortunately...!)
LastDiscovery
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am a very experienced ACCA teacher and I teach extremely well. I can tutor you from the beginning of ACCA over skype and you will pay me after each class.

Feel free to contact me.

Skype me on Skype at: ACCA Skype Tutor
or Facebook me at: Last Discovery
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (289)
60.33%
Yes- I don't like it (23)
4.8%
No- I want it (132)
27.56%
No- I don't want it (35)
7.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise