The Student Room Group

Spanish or physics A-level?

I'm taking bio, chem and maths for the other three. I've already done my maths gcse so if I will have to do a full A-level in spanish or physics unless I want to do further maths (I will do AS maths in yr11, A level maths in yr12). I really don't want to do further maths and am stuck between spanish and physics?

Which one is requires less work? Which one do you like more if you take both? Which one is harder? I really don't have a preference and don't require either for what I want to do so which would u recommend?? ://

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I posted a similar post a few weeks ago that you could look at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3769181 (Spanish came out on top for me, but I'm now hoping my school will let me take 5 A Levels so I can do both Spanish and Physics)

If you are sure you don't need physics, Spanish would be good if you think you might want to take something different to maths and sciences to have a break from them. Doing physics will give you the option of doing more science and maths related courses at university (if that is what you want to do), doing Spanish leaves you with the option of doing languages if you change your mind about science/maths. It depends on how sure you are about what you want to do after A Levels.
Original post by Lelanor
I posted a similar post a few weeks ago that you could look at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3769181 (Spanish came out on top for me, but I'm now hoping my school will let me take 5 A Levels so I can do both Spanish and Physics)

If you are sure you don't need physics, Spanish would be good if you think you might want to take something different to maths and sciences to have a break from them. Doing physics will give you the option of doing more science and maths related courses at university (if that is what you want to do), doing Spanish leaves you with the option of doing languages if you change your mind about science/maths. It depends on how sure you are about what you want to do after A Levels.

thanks! I read through that thread and spanish does seem to be a nice break but I'm just a bit worried as many people say it's very difficult :s-smilie:
Spanish :smile: it gives you a more balanced choice of subjects - 3 sciences and maths is great but some people like to have a different subject in there to break it up. It's a valuable language to know and having an A Level in a language is never going to look bad to universities or employers.

I took Spanish and Physics at AS, dropped Physics for A2. For me, Physics was probably less work but I enjoyed Spanish so so so much more, which is definitely part of the reason I spent more time on it. They're both hard in different ways, Physics isn't the easiest of subjects to get your head around sometimes and a lot of my friends who achieved easy A*s at GCSE were struggling in Year 12. With Spanish there's just lots of it, and there is always something else that you can be learning. For Physics, you learn what's on the spec. For Spanish, you study the topics on the spec, but need to know a load of grammar and it's never a bad idea to learn new vocab which you weren't taught explicitly in class, or different phrases etc. Then again, I found that I remembered more Spanish from just doing the subject than I did with Physics, so in a way Spanish was easier to revise.

So yeah, I'd say Spanish. I'm probably slightly biased though as Physics AS made me want to jump out the nearest window at times. Good luck with whichever you choose!
Original post by C0pper

So yeah, I'd say Spanish. I'm probably slightly biased though as Physics AS made me want to jump out the nearest window at times. Good luck with whichever you choose!

Thank you!! I think I might struggle with physics a bit too whereas I find spanish much easier right now... how are the orals though because I've heard they're 12 minutes long?? :shock:
Reply 5
Original post by lordofthehumans
thanks! I read through that thread and spanish does seem to be a nice break but I'm just a bit worried as many people say it's very difficult :s-smilie:

If you look at the thread called something like 'what do you think is the hardest a level', there's a whole range of answers, so it seems like it is completely different from person to person. (However, with that in mind, I have definitely heard more people say that Physics is very difficult.)

If for some reason you were told you couldn't do physics or spanish, which would you be more upset about? The answer might be that you're equally as upset, but if it's not then this is a useful way of thinking about it to try to decide.
I'm taking bio, chem and maths for the other three. I've already done my maths gcse so if I will have to do a full A-level in spanish or physics unless I want to do further maths (I will do AS maths in yr11, A level maths in yr12). I really don't want to do further maths and am stuck between spanish and physics?

Which one is requires less work? Which one do you like more if you take both? Which one is harder? I really don't have a preference and don't require either for what I want to do so which would u recommend?? ://

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Personally I'd take physics coz I love it, but an mfl is a better choice with two sciences and maths so take spanish.
Thank you!! I think I might struggle with physics a bit too whereas I find spanish much easier right now... how are the orals though because I've heard they're 12 minutes long?? :shock:

Which board would you be with for Spanish? Don't worry about the orals, they honestly go so quickly, you really don't notice it. One minute they're reading out your candidate number and the next it's "muy bien, adiós!"

I don't know about other boards but I did AQA, you get 20 minutes to prepare some questions which makes up 5 minutes of the oral, so that's not too bad. You can literally read off your answers from what you wrote down. Then another 3 minutes on a topic which you nominated, so we all just memorised a speech on that. Final 7 minutes are split between another 2 topics which you don't know, but the examiners will be so nice to you and make it as easy as possible for you. I did so badly in my oral, I kept lapsing into Italian (I speak it fluently and it's similar so I have a habit of that) and I swear I only conjugated about two verbs, I just kept putting 'puedo/e/es/...' and then the infinitive :lol: and somehow came out with an A. God knows how!

THANKS IN ADVANCE

An A-level in one of the most, if not the most, respected subject (physics) vs. an A-level in Kite Flying? (Spanish)

Should be pretty obvious. (No bias! :tongue:).

THANKS IN ADVANCE

I'd just go for the one that you personally prefer or find easier. I think which one takes "less work" would be dependent on the person - I'd personally find Physics significantly less work than Spanish, but it depends on your strengths.
do you want to study a physical science or engineering at university? if so, do physics. otherwise do spanish
Original post by C0pper
Which board would you be with for Spanish? Don't worry about the orals, they honestly go so quickly, you really don't notice it. One minute they're reading out your candidate number and the next it's "muy bien, adiós!"

I don't know about other boards but I did AQA, you get 20 minutes to prepare some questions which makes up 5 minutes of the oral, so that's not too bad. You can literally read off your answers from what you wrote down. Then another 3 minutes on a topic which you nominated, so we all just memorised a speech on that. Final 7 minutes are split between another 2 topics which you don't know, but the examiners will be so nice to you and make it as easy as possible for you. I did so badly in my oral, I kept lapsing into Italian (I speak it fluently and it's similar so I have a habit of that) and I swear I only conjugated about two verbs, I just kept putting 'puedo/e/es/...' and then the infinitive :lol: and somehow came out with an A. God knows how!

Wow that's amazing!! We do OCR but I think it's quite similar to what you described, but I feel better after hearing your experience thanks!! Are there any writing controlled assessments like for GCSE where we need to memorise our essays?
I want to do medicine would spanish be more desirable to universities? :biggrin:
I want to do medicine would spanish be more desirable to universities? :biggrin:

i'm not sure. i think as long as you have biology, chemistry, and maths; the fourth A-Level doesn't really matter.

Nope, definitely physics in that case!

I have applied for medicine and my A-levels are Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths, which I don't regret one bit!
Wow that's amazing!! We do OCR but I think it's quite similar to what you described, but I feel better after hearing your experience thanks!! Are there any writing controlled assessments like for GCSE where we need to memorise our essays?

I just had a quick look on the new OCR spec (it's still just a draft but it's here if you're interested) and if you chose Spanish, the speaking you'd have to do looks pretty reasonable to me :smile: You get 15 minutes to prepare two cards then discuss them. So it's not that different from mine, just you get a slightly shorter time to prepare but then you can see all of what you'll be asked questions based on before you go in.
No controlled assessments, just 3 exams - listening/reading, writing, speaking. Not sure about OCR but for my listening, we get to control it individually so you can pause and rewind as many times as you like (aka hear a word, pause, write it down, repeat for next word :lol:).

Your AS content doesn't seem all that different from my A2. You'd get to study a film or a book/play, which is so fun! I haven't done English lit since Y11 so was pretty worried but it's the best part of the subject :smile:

Seriously though, choose the subject which you think you'd enjoy more. I'm over here forcefully advocating Spanish but if you think Physics would be better for you, then take it.
Original post by Cadherin
Nope, definitely physics in that case!

I have applied for medicine and my A-levels are Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths, which I don't regret one bit!

Which is your least favourite?
Original post by C0pper
I just had a quick look on the new OCR spec (it's still just a draft but it's here if you're interested) and if you chose Spanish, the speaking you'd have to do looks pretty reasonable to me :smile: You get 15 minutes to prepare two cards then discuss them. So it's not that different from mine, just you get a slightly shorter time to prepare but then you can see all of what you'll be asked questions based on before you go in.
No controlled assessments, just 3 exams - listening/reading, writing, speaking. Not sure about OCR but for my listening, we get to control it individually so you can pause and rewind as many times as you like (aka hear a word, pause, write it down, repeat for next word :lol:).

Your AS content doesn't seem all that different from my A2. You'd get to study a film or a book/play, which is so fun! I haven't done English lit since Y11 so was pretty worried but it's the best part of the subject :smile:

Seriously though, choose the subject which you think you'd enjoy more. I'm over here forcefully advocating Spanish but if you think Physics would be better for you, then take it.

Thank you so much for all the help! I think I actually will take Spanish as I don't know if I'll be able to deal with physics and I'll get bored of having the same type of lessons everyday THANKS :h:
Thank you so much for all the help! I think I actually will take Spanish as I don't know if I'll be able to deal with physics and I'll get bored of having the same type of lessons everyday THANKS :h:

No problem! I hope you enjoy it and please don't hate me if you don't :tongue:
Which is your least favourite?

Mechanics. From Further Maths or Physics.

I just hate it, hate it, hate it.

Although I got away with doing C1, C2, C3, C4, FP1, FP2, FP3, M1, S1-4! :biggrin:

I suppose if I had to rank them from favourite to least favourite:

Biology/Chemistry together! (Love both)
Maths
Physics
Further Maths (mainly due to difficulty)

Whoever says chemistry is the most difficult A-level is frankly talking rubbish and hasn't attempted FP2/FP3.

Quick Reply

Latest