How can I make peace with my 2:2?

Watch
username2217567
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In the title. Joint honours political science and a language from a fairly decent '1994 group' university. Whenever my friends bring up in passing graduation for example and stuff like, 'imagine if they did the degrees in order and you got a 2:2 or a 3rd', I just cringe so hard internally. I feel it's going to actually fundamentally change the way I view myself and my place in the world. I'd have to average 75% on my assessments next term to scrape a 2:1.
the terminator
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Think of how much the idea of how hearing what you're friends are saying is making you cringe and think HOW you can avoid being labelled as one of those achievers.

It is not too late, am sure you can do it. Believe in yourself OP. If humans made the exams, humans can answer them.

Above all if it doesn't work out in your favour, then so long as as you can find a job at the end of your degree thats all that matters.

Believe!

I wish you every bit of success in this world!
somethingbeautiful
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by feloraa)
In the title. Joint honours political science and a language from a fairly decent '1994 group' university. Whenever my friends bring up in passing graduation for example and stuff like, 'imagine if they did the degrees in order and you got a 2:2 or a 3rd', I just cringe so hard internally. I feel it's going to actually fundamentally change the way I view myself and my place in the world. I'd have to average 75% on my assessments next term to scrape a 2:1.
Barely anyone outside of academia and top firms gives a crap. Joe Bloggs on the street doesn't even know what a 2.1/2.2 is.

This from a graduate who got a 2.1 and has been earning minimum wage since.

None of it means anything outside of a small bubble.
Most people in my life don't even know I have a degree.

So it's nothing to do with anyone else and everything to do with your own perception. If it bothers you intensely then you could do a masters degree but I don't know why anyone in the right mind would want to unless they wanted to do a PhD and that's a whole other discussion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2217567
Rep:
?
(Original post by the terminator)
Think of how much the idea of how hearing what you're friends are saying is making you cringe and think HOW you can avoid being labelled as one of those achievers.

It is not too late, am sure you can do it. Believe in yourself OP. If humans made the exams, humans can answer them.

Above all if it doesn't work out in your favour, then so long as as you can find a job at the end of your degree thats all that matters.

Believe!

I wish you every bit of success in this world!
Thank you what a kind answer. When you say 'think HOW you can avoid being labelled as one of those achievers.', it's not that they're necessarily the awful achiever-type, it's just that it's in their mentality, and everyone's at university that a 2:1 is the minimum desired..

It's also to do with my own perception. I've spent 4 years doing something and I've lacked commitment and enough drive for it. The curiosity about the subject has been there when I've sat down and got on with it but too sporadically.
username2217567
Rep:
?
(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
Barely anyone outside of academia and top firms gives a crap. Joe Bloggs on the street doesn't even know what a 2.1/2.2 is.

So it's nothing to do with anyone else and everything to do with your own perception. If it bothers you intensely then you could do a masters degree but I don't know why anyone in the right mind would want to unless they wanted to do a PhD and that's a whole other discussion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have no interest in doing a Masters, I wouldn't like to study more right now. A 2:2 does exclude you from most graduate schemes (though I can't see myself wanting to get onto one anyway) and it does show other things about your personality, like lack of commitment, laziness even. I just feel like it's this huge blight, and I know that's negative but I can't help it.
Drummerz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what year are you in?
xsarawr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
good luck mate xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Everyone panics that their life is over if they don't get a 2.1 and i've never understood why. A 2.2 isn't really anything to be proud of and it does exclude you from a lot of graduate schemes, but hardly anyone manages to get a place on one regardless of their grade!

I graduated in 2014 and if I look at my group of friends from uni 2 of them got a 2.2 and they've managed to get graduate level jobs with huge firms in competitive sectors (Computing & Finance). Whereas several people with a 2.1 are still working in bars, catering, customer service etc for £7 an hour.

It's all about how you apply yourself, there's plenty of graduate level jobs who won't care if you have a 2.1 or a 2.2. I'd say a 2.2 with good work experience/EC's > 2.1 with little experience/EC's.
username2217567
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drummerz)
what year are you in?
4th
Drummerz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
4th
Is this a degree with a masters? how did you do with your BA?
username2217567
Rep:
?
Is this a degree with a masters? how did you do with your BA?
No.. with a year abroad. I only scraped a pass on my year abroad, and my 2nd year was a low 2:2.
Architecture-er
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Once you've had your first job (not placement) it doesn't really matter that much, like how important are your GCSEs and A-levels to your applications now? They're all stepping stones, you just might need to step a bit further from this one, but equally it might not even register
BefuddledPenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A friend of mine got a third and he's doing much better than me with my 2.1. Grades aren't everything.
Drummerz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can still make it happen man really. Dont give up yet!
username2217567
Rep:
?
You can still make it happen man really. Dont give up yet!
Average of 75? Pretty hard to achieve especially in a language! I'm not gonna give up though
hellodave5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by somethingbeautiful)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree completely!

Got a first in my degree, and literally almost no one asks what degree classification you have (yes, I finally get to brag here! ). Even doing a masters, I have only had one tutor that taught me at undergrad ask me what I got, and maybe 2 students (in say, a year and a bit!).

But seriously, a 2.2 isn't the end of the world, and is still a reasonable classification to have.
Though if you do get a 2.2 (which you are expecting), then I would look into getting as much work experience as possible - as can mitigate a lower classification quite well.
But you never know, you may pleasantly surprise yourself - are you sure you know for definite how they calculate the classification? (and that you do actually need approx. 75%).

Doing a masters to mitigate an undergrad isn't preferable, just because if you struggled with the undergrad then doing even more of the same thing isn't really playing to your current hand.

If you put a plan together for what to do next, you'll be in good stead.
username2217567
Rep:
?
(Original post by hellodave5)
I agree completely!

Got a first in my degree, and literally almost no one asks what degree classification you have (yes, I finally get to brag here! ). Even doing a masters, I have only had one tutor that taught me at undergrad ask me what I got, and maybe 2 students (in say, a year and a bit!).

But seriously, a 2.2 isn't the end of the world, and is still a reasonable classification to have.
Though if you do get a 2.2 (which you are expecting), then I would look into getting as much work experience as possible - as can mitigate a lower classification quite well.
But you never know, you may pleasantly surprise yourself - are you sure you know for definite how they calculate the classification? (and that you do actually need approx. 75%).

Doing a masters to mitigate an undergrad isn't preferable, just because if you struggled with the undergrad then doing even more of the same thing isn't really playing to your current hand.

If you put a plan together for what to do next, you'll be in good stead.

The other thing is, it does also exclude me from most graduate schemes..
hellodave5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Unfortunately that is true. Though these schemes are heavily subscribed to and highly competitive, and so even with a first or 2.1 getting one is still fairly difficult. If anything, I would just take the university experience for what it was, and I'm sure it will have done you some good in the way of personal growth... which should help with getting a good job
username2217567
Rep:
?
(Original post by hellodave5)
Unfortunately that is true. Though these schemes are heavily subscribed to and highly competitive, and so even with a first or 2.1 getting one is still fairly difficult. If anything, I would just take the university experience for what it was, and I'm sure it will have done you some good in the way of personal growth... which should help with getting a good job
I don't know if I could see myself even wanting to get onto one to be honest. It's more the self esteem thing I guess.
RibenaRockstar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There are quite a few grad schemes open to people with 2:2s - Lloyds Banking Group for one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (9)
17.65%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (14)
27.45%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
5.88%
No, I haven't received any communication (25)
49.02%

Watched Threads