NHS Bursary & Student Finance - Confused!

Watch
EmilyC0202
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,

A little confused about this. I have applied to study Adult Nursing with a start date of April 2016 (have been invited to a selection day woo ) but am still left confused about finance! So I understand that the NHS covers the cost of my tuition fees and I will get £1000 non means tested grant a year (as the changes to NHS Bursary's are not effected until 2017). The thing I do not understand it the maintenance loans. It says online, and I heard the same at the open days I attended, that I will only be entitled to £2200 maintenance loan if I live away from parents (only £500 more than I lived at home). Am I right in thinking this has to cover accommodation!? I thought it wouldn't be possible but I asked a Student Finance advisor at CCCU and she told me the maintenance loan is for living costs and thus for accommodation!

So if this is correct (which I'm hoping it is not) I will have £3200 to live on a year, for accommodation, food, books etc!? That won't even cover the yearly costs of any of the accommodation I have seen! I know you also get a means tested bursary from the NHS but mine will be minimal - due to my parents income. I know they expect your parents to help out with some of the costs if they earn more, which I get, but they won't be able to afford to pay for more than half of my accommodation each year!?
cherryred90s
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by EmilyC0202)
Hi all,

A little confused about this. I have applied to study Adult Nursing with a start date of April 2016 (have been invited to a selection day woo ) but am still left confused about finance! So I understand that the NHS covers the cost of my tuition fees and I will get £1000 non means tested grant a year (as the changes to NHS Bursary's are not effected until 2017). The thing I do not understand it the maintenance loans. It says online, and I heard the same at the open days I attended, that I will only be entitled to £2200 maintenance loan if I live away from parents (only £500 more than I lived at home). Am I right in thinking this has to cover accommodation!? I thought it wouldn't be possible but I asked a Student Finance advisor at CCCU and she told me the maintenance loan is for living costs and thus for accommodation!

So if this is correct (which I'm hoping it is not) I will have £3200 to live on a year, for accommodation, food, books etc!? That won't even cover the yearly costs of any of the accommodation I have seen! I know you also get a means tested bursary from the NHS but mine will be minimal - due to my parents income. I know they expect your parents to help out with some of the costs if they earn more, which I get, but they won't be able to afford to pay for more than half of my accommodation each year!?
No, it doesn't have to cover your accommodation at all and this is something that affects a lot of students. If your parents earn over a certain amount, your loan is significantly reduced because your parents are expected to help you.

You'll have to get a job or see what bursaries/scholarships are available to you. A student overdraft will be useful for you. You'll get around £1.5k (depending on your bank) to help you with the costs of being a student. If your parents refuse to help, it becomes a huge problem because you won't be getting any more from student finance. Is it possible for you to live at home?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi all,

I believe it's only when your parents earn over 60k that you wouldn't get any of the means tested part of the nhs bursary, the guide to it mentions the expected contribution that they think your parents should make so look that up and I guess speak to your parents about what is realistic. But yes the max loan is about 2.2k. Have you looked into house shares rather than halls as that could reduce your accommodation costs substantially?
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I will admit I'm not that clued up on NHS students, apart from the stuff about the reduced maintenance loan. There's some information here

Also - if your course runs for more than 30 weeks and 3 days, you're entitled to a "long course loan". Again, not too clued up on this, (some of the NHS students will know far more than me about this, I'm sure) but my understanding is that you'll get a certain amount extra per week for however many extra weeks long your course is.

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/3953.aspx
EmilyC0202
Rep:
?
(Original post by cherryred90s)
No, it doesn't have to cover your accommodation at all and this is something that affects a lot of students. If your parents earn over a certain amount, your loan is significantly reduced because your parents are expected to help you.

You'll have to get a job or see what bursaries/scholarships are available to you. A student overdraft will be useful for you. You'll get around £1.5k (depending on your bank) to help you with the costs of being a student. If your parents refuse to help, it becomes a huge problem because you won't be getting any more from student finance. Is it possible for you to live at home?
Thank you for clearing this up! Unfortunately,many of the open days have said it is near impossible to juggle a part time job with the studying & placements of an Adult Nursing degree so this is not really an option. At the moment my parents live over an hour drive from each of the universities I have applied for but are moving soon, and would make me only 30 minutes drive from 2 of my choices. It just depends whether they move in time for the start of my course!
EmilyC0202
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
I believe it's only when your parents earn over 60k that you wouldn't get any of the means tested part of the nhs bursary, the guide to it mentions the expected contribution that they think your parents should make so look that up and I guess speak to your parents about what is realistic. But yes the max loan is about 2.2k. Have you looked into house shares rather than halls as that could reduce your accommodation costs substantially?
My parents sure don't earn over £60k so at least I will get some means tested bursary. I will have a look at this guide - thanks for your help!
EmilyC0202
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
I will admit I'm not that clued up on NHS students, apart from the stuff about the reduced maintenance loan. There's some information here

Also - if your course runs for more than 30 weeks and 3 days, you're entitled to a "long course loan". Again, not too clued up on this, (some of the NHS students will know far more than me about this, I'm sure) but my understanding is that you'll get a certain amount extra per week for however many extra weeks long your course is.

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/3953.aspx
Thanks for the links - I'll check these out! I did read before about the long course loan which I'd forgotten about, thanks for the help
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My parents sure don't earn over £60k so at least I will get some means tested bursary. I will have a look at this guide - thanks for your help!
The calculator on their website should help as well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (121)
14.4%
I'm not sure (36)
4.29%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (255)
30.36%
I have already dropped out (21)
2.5%
I'm not a current university student (407)
48.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed