AS and A levels to choose to do computer science at university

Watch
SamRob85
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am trying to decide on what I should do as my 4th AS level, I have already decided on maths, further maths and physics but I don't know what to take as a 4th. ICT would seem obvious but it is only a BTEC, would this impact my choices for university? What else would compliment the other subjects?

A full list of the subjects my 6th form offers are below:

Applied Science Level 3
Art & Design
Art Graphics
Biology
Business
Classical Civilisation
Chemistry
Design Technology
Drama & Theatre Studies
Economics
English Language
English Literature
Food Technology
FrenchFurther
Maths
German
Geography
Government & Politics
Health & Social Care
History
ICT
Latin
Maths
Media Studies
Music
Music Technology
Philosophy & Ethics
Photography
Physical Education
Physics
Psychology
Sociology
Synonym
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
to be quite fair those 3 a levels are perfect for computing and you really dont need that 4th AS ? but a complementary subject to those a levels would be Economic..... that with maths and further maths is what most top unis want/look for
Adeel Ali
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maths F Math Chem and Physics.
Lelanor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You could do Philosophy and ethics; there's a link with computer science, it's something different and it shows you have different skills. Or you could do a language instead. I'd suggest you make your final decision based just on what you enjoy most and can do well in.
aamirac
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
Chemistry?
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lelanor)
You could do Philosophy and ethics; there's a link with computer science, it's something different and it shows you have different skills. Or you could do a language instead. I'd suggest you make your final decision based just on what you enjoy most and can do well in.
I understand philosophy and ethics being relevant to computing (I did a cyber-ethics and law module on my IT degree, studying the works of people like Kant and Kellogg) but how would it be relevant to CS? CS is more clinical, surely? The ethics are down to people who are going to do whatever they do with the systems and principles you create/elaborate upon.

I would stick with a language to be honest. Latin could be fun.

OK, Latin is fun. I love Latin.
High Stakes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tootles)
I understand philosophy and ethics being relevant to computing (I did a cyber-ethics and law module on my IT degree, studying the works of people like Kant and Kellogg) but how would it be relevant to CS? CS is more clinical, surely? The ethics are down to people who are going to do whatever they do with the systems and principles you create/elaborate upon.

I would stick with a language to be honest. Latin could be fun.

OK, Latin is fun. I love Latin.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-ai/

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...l-intelligence

There's been a lot of interaction between the two fields when it comes to AI. Might be fun.
Alleyezonme
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am doing CS at UCL. Done maths, physics, D&T: product design for A2 and chemistry for AS. Hope this helps!
novar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I took Geography, Maths, Biology and Computer Science at AS and took Geog, Bio and Compsci to A-level. Honestly just pick something you'd enjoy because the last one doesn't matter particularly as your current ones are perfect for Compsci already!
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by High Stakes)
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-ai/

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...l-intelligence

There's been a lot of interaction between the two fields when it comes to AI. Might be fun.
Hmm. I was thinking from a purely scientific standpoint, but yes I know what you mean.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads