The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by suzie101

I saw FTO now has that Betclic offer (similar to the 888 one), think I may give it ago once Ive got some cash :smile:

Out of curiosity (Im being stupid today) are you better off with your bet losing on those kind of offers, thus to get the freebet? Can't get my head around it this morning

I shall give it a go and let you know how I get on! :smile:
Original post by EpilepticFridgeBoy
You back at high odds because that gets you the greatest percentage return of the bonus, it doesnt matter whether it wins or loses, you get the same amount of profit.

You do your initial bet the same way you would treat a stake not returned bonus. So you look for high odds and lay less than you normally would.

So for the guy aboves example, his initial qualifying bet would be £20 at odds of 10, and he'd lay £17.91

If the team at odds of 10 wins he gets ( £20 x 9 ) - (£17.91 x 9.1 ) = £17.02 profit

He doesnt get a free bet because his first has won, but as he has layed less than normal its all profit.

If the team at 10 loses he loses £2.99, but now has a £20 SNR free bet which he can get at least £16 out of.

Not sure what you mean by capping your losses at 50% and falling into traps?

I agree. Its the way I've done these offers and I've always come out with at least £15 profit from them.
With SNR bets you need higher odds because if its a freebet you only get the profit, not the freebet stake returned so betting at low odds gets you hardly any profit.

Treating both bets as SNR means you need higher odds (as though you're betting a freebet) in order to get the best returns.

There are no traps to fall into :s-smilie: If you use your common sense and get good odds, have enough liability then you'll get a good return.

By treating the bet as SNR you are laying less than normal. So your liability will be lower. So if you win in the bookie you get profit because the liability is lower yet if you win in betfair you dont win as much but you get a freebet or your bet refunded in the bookie which cancells that out, resulting in profit still.

So yeah as fridgeboy says It doesn't matter whether your bet wins or loses on high odds. Treating it as a SNR bet gets you profit either way. If any of you have the spreadsheet from MSE then play around with it and it'll help you understand how it works.

I have done bets this way, the initial one won in betfair, I then bet my freebet on the bookie in the same manner and walked away with £15 profit. This was on 6 odds or so. I think it was 6 - 6.2.

This is a method people have been using to do these types of bets for a very long time.

So sorry Carl but you're wrong this time :wink:

I saw FTO now has that Betclic offer (similar to the 888 one), think I may give it ago once Ive got some cash :smile:

Out of curiosity (Im being stupid today) are you better off with your bet losing on those kind of offers, thus to get the freebet? Can't get my head around it this morning

if you dont have the spreadsheet from moneysavingexpert then it might be difficult to treat your bet as Stake not returned but thats the best way of locking in profit with this offer.

Otherwise if you just bet normally on say 3 odds and the bet wins in betclic then the loss cancells out the win and you'll not get any profit.
Reply 783
Original post by Wolvarium
I agree. Its the way I've done these offers and I've always come out with at least £15 profit from them.
With SNR bets you need higher odds because if its a freebet you only get the profit, not the freebet stake returned so betting at low odds gets you hardly any profit.

Treating both bets as SNR means you need higher odds (as though you're betting a freebet) in order to get the best returns.

There are no traps to fall into :s-smilie: If you use your common sense and get good odds, have enough liability then you'll get a good return.

By treating the bet as SNR you are laying less than normal. So your liability will be lower. So if you win in the bookie you get profit because the liability is lower yet if you win in betfair you dont win as much but you get a freebet or your bet refunded in the bookie which cancells that out, resulting in profit still.

So yeah as fridgeboy says It doesn't matter whether your bet wins or loses on high odds. Treating it as a SNR bet gets you profit either way. If any of you have the spreadsheet from MSE then play around with it and it'll help you understand how it works.

I have done bets this way, the initial one won in betfair, I then bet my freebet on the bookie in the same manner and walked away with £15 profit. This was on 6 odds or so. I think it was 6 - 6.2.

This is a method people have been using to do these types of bets for a very long time.

wow! sounds like a right difficult one! i think i'll wait for the solution on your site before attempting this one!
Reply 784

thanks wolvarium, but i'm not sure what you mean? would you be able to explain it?

you see my interpretation of this all is this... and sorry to everyone looking at this thinking that i'm going to get all technical!

on a normal 100% back and lay bet, you make a loss because the lay odds are higher than the back odds which would be the 'variance'. therefore the higher the variance, the more you lose.

if you use very high odds and lay 100%, there's a good chance that your back bet would lose. This will then entitle you to the free bet and the size of your loss from this free bet will then be again be dependent on the variance between the back and lay odds.

so if you lay say a 75% of a bet, if the back bet wins, you actually make a profit, whereas it loses (the lay bet wins), you make a loss...

so surely if you ensure that the variance between the odds you place is small enough to be equal or less than the portion of the back bet you did not lay when applied to the free bet amount - so for example, if you lay 75% on the first bet and its a £2- free bet, you ensure your lay loss is £5 or less), you can then put a limit (as carl was saying, 'cap') the lay loss and ensure a return on the value of the offer... to make the lay loss as small as poss, you actually need very low odds with the smallest possible variance..

so one way you risk making a loss and the other you make a guaranteed profit..
Reply 785
Original post by neb1405
thanks wolvarium, but i'm not sure what you mean? would you be able to explain it?

you see my interpretation of this all is this... and sorry to everyone looking at this thinking that i'm going to get all technical!

on a normal 100% back and lay bet, you make a loss because the lay odds are higher than the back odds which would be the 'variance'. therefore the higher the variance, the more you lose.

if you use very high odds and lay 100%, there's a good chance that your back bet would lose. This will then entitle you to the free bet and the size of your loss from this free bet will then be again be dependent on the variance between the back and lay odds.

so if you lay say a 75% of a bet, if the back bet wins, you actually make a profit, whereas it loses (the lay bet wins), you make a loss...

so surely if you ensure that the variance between the odds you place is small enough to be equal or less than the portion of the back bet you did not lay when applied to the free bet amount - so for example, if you lay 75% on the first bet and its a £2- free bet, you ensure your lay loss is £5 or less), you can then put a limit (as carl was saying, 'cap') the lay loss and ensure a return on the value of the offer... to make the lay loss as small as poss, you actually need very low odds with the smallest possible variance..

I don't see how you can make a loss by treating both as SNR with high odds.

The outcomes are either ... win first back bet, lose but win with free bet, lose and lose with free bet.

Outcome 1 - If my back at high odds wins then I'm £17.01 up (£180 less £162.99). I don't get or need the free bet.

Outcome 2 - If my first back bet loses then I lost £20 but have £17.91 in betfair - a £2.99 loss. Now I bet my free bet and win and I've got £17.01 profit less £2.99 I lose on the first bet ... £14 overall profit.

Outcome 3 - If my first bet loses then I lose £20 but have £17.91 in betfair. Now I bet my free bet and say I lose it I've got another £17.91 in betfair. Overall I've lost £20 at the bookie and have 2 x £17.91 = £35.82 in betfair so I have nearly £16 profit.

How is it possible to lose this way? There's no other outcomes.

All the capping and what not sounds way too confusing when this seems to work fine?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by neb1405

The difference between the odds is not 'variance' its the spread. Variance is a bit harder to explain, it is almost like your 'luck'. Betting on very high odds has a greater variance than betting on low odds but as you are matching all your bets there is really no such thing as variance as whatever happens your making the same amount.

Not really sure what you mean by the other stuff, but basically treat the first bet like a SNR bonus and youll come out with profit. Variance has nothing to do with it.

Also low odds is the worst thing to be doing. Try to find 8+ odds if you can.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Cortez
I don't see how you can make a loss by treating both as SNR with high odds.

The outcomes are either ... win first back bet, lose but win with free bet, lose and lose with free bet.

Outcome 1 - If my back at high odds wins then I'm £17.01 up (£180 less £162.99). I don't get or need the free bet.

Outcome 2 - If my first back bet loses then I lost £20 but have £17.91 in betfair - a £2.99 loss. Now I bet my free bet and win and I've got £17.01 profit less £2.99 I lose on the first bet ... £14 overall profit.

Outcome 3 - If my first bet loses then I lose £20 but have £17.91 in betfair. Now I bet my free bet and say I lose it I've got another £17.91 in betfair. Overall I've lost £20 at the bookie and have 2 x £17.91 = £35.82 in betfair so I have nearly £16 profit.

How is it possible to lose this way? There's no other outcomes.

All the capping and what not sounds way too confusing when this seems to work fine?

This is exactly right. Treating both bets as SNR as betting on high odds will get you profit whatever the outcome. Its what I was trying to explain.

All this percentage and variance overcomplicates things. Just treat both bets as SNR as you'll have profit. And as they're being treated as SNR they need high odds. Try betting a £25 SNR freebet on 2 odds and you get about £12 if you match it. bet it on 6 odds and you get £20. There is a huge difference.

@Neb: Thats what you do when you treat the bet as SNR. You're laying less than normal (called underlaying). So in effect you are laying around 75% of your bet. Its very simple on the spreadsheet.

Say you lay 75% of £20 on low odds e.g. 2. You get £14.27 profit on betfair. You'd get this amount return if you layed at higher odds too e.g. 6.
The difference is backing. Say you backed at 2 odds as well. You win on the bookie, you lose £15 on betfair and gain £40 in the bookie. £20 of that was your stake so you'd only make £5 profit.
Winning in betfair results in a £5ish loss but you get the £20 back which means you get £15 profit. Very uneven winnings. Laying 50% would perhaps even it out at £10 profit either side but its still quite low.

Lower odds the better?

Lets try this on 6 - 6 odds. If your bet wins in the bookie you get £120 return and lose £75 in betfair resulting in £25 profit (as £20 of your back return is your stake)
Winning in betfair is again a £5ish loss but the £20 being returned will get you £15 profit. (hope I worked that out right)
But you get the jist. Higher odds mean higher profit.

By treating both bets as SNR and going for high odds you can guarantee about £16/£17 either way, balancing it out in the centre as cortez has explained.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 788
With 888sport it doesn't actually say whether it's SR or SNR? http://promo.888.com/888sport/tcs/noLoseBet_TC.htm

Anyone know which one it is?
Original post by Cortez
With 888sport it doesn't actually say whether it's SR or SNR? http://promo.888.com/888sport/tcs/noLoseBet_TC.htm

Anyone know which one it is?

Generally if they don't state that they're SNR then they are SR. They have to state that the stake is not returned with the winnings in their terms or they cannot fail to return it.
So its SR (but you might want to confirm it 100%)

The key term really is:

No Lose refund must be wagered once at minimum odds of 1/5 (1.2) before withdrawal can be made.
Reply 790
Generally if they don't state that they're SNR then they are SR. They have to state that the stake is not returned with the winnings in their terms or they cannot fail to return it.
So its SR (but you might want to confirm it 100%)

The key term really is:

Ok, think I'll send them a quick email to confirm. If that is the case then should be able to walk away with more profit than expected, especially as it only requires 1.2 odds.
Apologies for becoming technical and I must stress that my site is simple and does not involve any of these mathematics as it is all automated.

However in reply to @Wolvarium,

Treating the 1st bet as SNR when it is not, is indeed under-laying, which is exactly what my previous suggestion was referring to hence one should place a proportion of the lay only, but he’s not capping his losses or pretending it’s important.

The example given is with high odds but a tiny variance, or 'spread'.

Now try doing this with odds of 8/9 instead of 8/8.1. As I'm sure you will find, if the spread is too high, it’ll break the computation as you lose more than you can make profit on the free bet. Alternatively, try the hypothetical scenario of an 8/10.

So £20 at 8 = £140 profit, less £180 you have to pay on lay. Your down £40 and great, even if you make 100% profit on your freebet, still down £20 even excluding Betfair's commission.

Now at 8/9 you get £70 back and have to pay out £80. That’s 50% of your offer profit gone right there.

Therefore it is vital to look at the variance (or 'spread') and minimise it or you could be out of pocket if people aren't told then they’re not aware.
Reply 792
Woah, this is getting way too technical!

And as you point out, the majority of us will not understand the mathematics or the intricacies behind matched betting! Let's try and keep it simple so much that it doesn't put people off as matched betting is a great way for us students to make some money at the end of the day.
Reply 793
Original post by sonyhamster
Woah, this is getting way too technical!

And as you point out, the majority of us will not understand the mathematics or the intricacies behind matched betting! Let's try and keep it simple so much that it doesn't put people off as matched betting is a great way for us students to make some money at the end of the day.

i completely agree and it just goes to show why you cannot always simply do it by hand
Original post by OfficialFixTheOdds
Apologies for becoming technical and I must stress that my site is simple and does not involve any of these mathematics as it is all automated.

However in reply to @Wolvarium,

Treating the 1st bet as SNR when it is not, is indeed under-laying, which is exactly what my previous suggestion was referring to hence one should place a proportion of the lay only, but he’s not capping his losses or pretending it’s important.

The example given is with high odds but a tiny variance, or 'spread'.

Now try doing this with odds of 8/9 instead of 8/8.1. As I'm sure you will find, if the spread is too high, it’ll break the computation as you lose more than you can make profit on the free bet. Alternatively, try the hypothetical scenario of an 8/10.

So £20 at 8 = £140 profit, less £180 you have to pay on lay. Your down £40 and great, even if you make 100% profit on your freebet, still down £20 even excluding Betfair's commission.

Now at 8/9 you get £70 back and have to pay out £80. That’s 50% of your offer profit gone right there.

Therefore it is vital to look at the variance (or 'spread') and minimise it or you could be out of pocket if people aren't told then they’re not aware.

Well of course it is.
Finding good odds is the basis of matched betting. Its just common sense that finding good odds gets better profit. its hardly specifically relevant to this offer because its relevant to everything you do in matched betting.
I'm saying that if you treat the bet as SNR and make sure you get good odds (Which is what you should do anyway) then you'll get a guaranteed profit.

Perhaps with your site "capping losses" is more important because people using FTO may take worse odds as they are not manually searching but the way I describe is the way manual matched bettors do these offers and it works with great efficiency. I've done two such offers with this method and have received £16 out of the £20 no-lose bet offer.
By "capping your losses" and placing a lower proportion of the lay than you need to you'll get lower profit.

And at your example. You won't make a loss treating the bet as SNR for 8/9 odds.
By treating it as SNR its simulating the £20 bet as a freebet because either you get money instantly on betfair and £20 back on the bookie (like a freebet offer) or you win instantly on the bookie.

So treating the SNR simulates betting with a freebet. Betting a £20 freebet on 8/9 odds or 8/10 won't result in a loss. It doesn't here.

8 odds = £140 profit.
But treating the bet as SNR in the spreadsheet results in laying £14.07 on betfair still resulting in £13.38 profit because you lose £126.62.

And that calculation is the highest possible lay bet that will get the same amount of profit on both sides (£13.38).

So a higher varience only requires lowering the lay bet slightly. Laying 50% all the time is just wasting potential profits.

As to your example, you really shouldn't be taking 8/10 odds anyway, not even 8/9 for that matter.
You should reasonably quickly be able to find good high odds in horse racing, even some major football (premiership etc)

I was referring to laying around 75% because thats the standard amount you're underlaying by if you get reasonable odds. Obviously if the odds differ then your lay amount must change as well. But you'd have to have incredibly bad odds to lay 50%. Even 8/12 odds don't give you reason to lay that little. Lay around £11.50 and you can guarantee over £11 profit.
So generally its 60-80% you're laying most of the time.

Obviously this changes slightly if the refund has to be wagered as well but not by much.

If you make an equation that calculates the amount you need to lay (when treating the bet as SNR or otherwise) to get optimum profit then that would be a good way for your site to do these offers.

I think we're basically on the same page, just going about it in different ways.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 795
Gave up trying the BetClic one - wouldn't take my card details and then they sent me an email saying that they had problems earlier on in the day and then suggested that I deposited via Moneybookers!

I think I'll try again later this week, although I'm not too keen on the idea of doing it via Moneybookers...
Reply 796
Gave up trying the BetClic one - wouldn't take my card details and then they sent me an email saying that they had problems earlier on in the day and then suggested that I deposited via Moneybookers!

I think I'll try again later this week, although I'm not too keen on the idea of doing it via Moneybookers...

Hey!

Sounds wierd, Maybe they'll get the card option working again at some point?
Isn't moneybookers the one who charges you commission to cash out - if so watch out for that if you do use it.

Finally got my loan - although after paying the bills Im back to being overdrawn again...tis life. Was going to go down the local pub as thier hiring but Ive come down ill yet again, 3rd time in about 6 weeks so thinking of giving it a miss for now, hopefully they'll still be looking when Im better.....

Also you may have noticed Im now blue instead of red :cool: good times
Was just thinking better be careful saying that cos some sod is gunna come neg me now
(edited 13 years ago)

Why are you not keen on moneybookers?
I've been using moneybookers for months and most manual matched bettors use it.

Yes it charges £1.50 for withdrawals but if you're going to be doing it quite a bit, over a long period of time then its well worth it.

As I've mentioned before it can lead to financial difficulties having gambling transactions on your bank statements. People have been refused mortgages etc...
If you're going to be doing it here and there for a while in future and you apply for something that requires a copy of your bank statement they may well deny it to you.

Moneybookers offers faster withdrawals than withdrawing to your bank.
It allows you to easily re-use your profits for matched betting and not touch money in your bank account.

Can't reccommend moneybookers enough. Its saved me a hell of a lot of hassle and time.
Reply 798
Hey!

Sounds wierd, Maybe they'll get the card option working again at some point?
Isn't moneybookers the one who charges you commission to cash out - if so watch out for that if you do use it.

Finally got my loan - although after paying the bills Im back to being overdrawn again...tis life. Was going to go down the local pub as thier hiring but Ive come down ill yet again, 3rd time in about 6 weeks so thinking of giving it a miss for now, hopefully they'll still be looking when Im better.....

Also you may have noticed Im now blue instead of red :cool: good times
Was just thinking better be careful saying that cos some sod is gunna come neg me now

Oh no! I hope you're okay - don't you just hate the lurgy! My other half has it so she's in quarantine at the moment :tongue:

Yeah, that's the one - which is why I wasn't so keen on using it! It charges like £1.50 to withdraw my own money! It's like those ATMs that charge you silly amounts of commission to withdraw money - which I can understand, but we just choose avoid it!

And yep - got my loan today too :smile:
Reply 799
Oh no! I hope you're okay - don't you just hate the lurgy! My other half has it so she's in quarantine at the moment :tongue:

Yeah, that's the one - which is why I wasn't so keen on using it! It charges like £1.50 to withdraw my own money! It's like those ATMs that charge you silly amounts of commission to withdraw money - which I can understand, but we just choose avoid it!

And yep - got my loan today too :smile:

Yeah Im surviving - as lame as it sounds its only a cold but every time I get one it knocks me out, always get terrible migranes with it and stuff.... Hope your OH gets well soon!

Yeah I don't fancy the idea of losing money by withdrawing, especially if you're like me and constantly withdraw just to keep the funds going. I think the easiest option is just to use one of my old accounts for now so I can keep this one clean - but I'll sort that out at a later stage.

Will deffo get back into MB - probably another week or so, need to make sure everything for the month goes out first and it will give me an idea of how much Ill have left for a float etc..... Feels like its been so long since I last did it...

At least im in a better position than when I found out about MB - when I first found out I was almost out of money, but now I have a bit more to place on bigger bets etc so hopefully more returns. I figure if I can make around £100 profit fairly soonish then I can use the profit to keep me going a little longer as long as I don't spend it...
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending