The Student Room Group

Do PhD deadline dates typically include references?

I've just applied today for a PhD which has a deadline of tomorrow! It's wasn't a PhD I was considering applying for when I first saw it and still is not my first choice, hence the sudden decision.

Anyway, I'm not sure if my referees will be able to send a reference in in time, being the weekend and all. They'll already have one written up, as I've used them about other PhDs recently.

It was one of those applications where you give the referees' details and they are sent an upload link; rather than the sort where I/the candidate has to do so before submitting.

So, anyone know if the referees' are given leeway to upload after the deadline?
Typically yes but you may want to email/ring the uni and explain the situation. Some places are quite strict about this especially if they're oversubscribed and it's a scheme.
I have experience of three institutions telling me they give a week's worth of leeway for referees (after difficulties with one of mine last year). Let them know what's going on and they will hopefully put your mind at rest.
Original post by alleycat393
Typically yes but you may want to email/ring the uni and explain the situation. Some places are quite strict about this especially if they're oversubscribed and it's a scheme.

Original post by Quicksand
I have experience of three institutions telling me they give a week's worth of leeway for referees (after difficulties with one of mine last year). Let them know what's going on and they will hopefully put your mind at rest.

Thanks! I had thought there was a bit of leeway. But I do understand why they'd be strict if they're happy with the suitability of the more organised candidates. Anyway, the system allows me to still upload files post-application AND both references are now in, so I think it's worked out.

Thanks.