Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

history watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just did this thread somewhere else but is more fitting here,
    Can anyone name the top twenty universities for (modern) history?

(Original post by historyhoney)
    I just did this thread somewhere else but is more fitting here,
    Can anyone name the top twenty universities for (modern) history?
    Ok,

1) The one that you like the best
    2) The one that you like the best
    3) The one that you like the best
    4) The one that you like the best
    5) The one that you like the best
    etc.......

ReputationRep:
    I really dont mind where I study at this point this is so I have a starting point of which to look at universities later in the year

I really dont mind where I study at this point this is so I have a starting point of which to look at universities later in the year
    A starting point is something we can help you with....

www.unofficial-guides.com
    http://education.independent.co.uk/higher/

WARNING: Do not take tables too seriously (they are pretty much all misleading)....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,716,00.html
    http://education.guardian.co.uk/univ...215839,00.html

ReputationRep:
    Well, I applied to LSE, Durham, UCL, Royal Holloway, York and Warwick for History. They are all pretty good, but I also visited places like Bristol etc that I didn't like, even though it is very good for the course. I used the league tables (Times) and eliminated anything outside of the top 20, then had a look at prospectuses and went on Open Days-ending up with six that I wouldn't mind going to. I wouldn't do it the same way I did, I ended up with four offers and only really am willing to go to one of them!

(Original post by claire1985)
    Well, I applied to LSE, Durham, UCL, Royal Holloway, York and Warwick for History. They are all pretty good, but I also visited places like Bristol etc that I didn't like, even though it is very good for the course. I used the league tables (Times) and eliminated anything outside of the top 20, then had a look at prospectuses and went on Open Days-ending up with six that I wouldn't mind going to. I wouldn't do it the same way I did, I ended up with four offers and only really am willing to go to one of them!
    Better than ending up with 6 offers and realising that you want to go somewhere completely different *God bless Extra*....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Better than ending up with 6 offers and realising that you want to go somewhere completely different *God bless Extra*....
    i still don't quite now how you manage to do that... did you not have one in mind as your favourite when you applied? and why edinburgh? (and why hadn't you thought of it before?)

lou xxx

(Original post by lou p lou)
    i still don't quite now how you manage to do that... did you not have one in mind as your favourite when you applied? and why edinburgh? (and why hadn't you thought of it before?)

lou xxx
    Originally I didn't apply to any course that lasted more than 3 years (trying not to take the mickey cout of my sponsors) so Edinburgh (along with Glasgow) was out. I later found out that I could have applied to any course I fancied and the company sponsoring me would not care in the least, then through a complete chance conversation with someone at Edinburgh, I ended up sorting it so that I got a nice offer for thier course. I like to think of the whole thing as fate, which also helps me think that god might be on my side in S2 on Wednesday!!!

To Shiny - This is NOT hijacking!!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Originally I didn't apply to any course that lasted more than 3 years (trying not to take the mickey cout of my sponsors) so Edinburgh (along with Glasgow) was out. I later found out that I could have applied to any course I fancied and the company sponsoring me would not care in the least, then through a complete chance conversation with someone at Edinburgh, I ended up sorting it so that I got a nice offer for thier course. I like to think of the whole thing as fate, which also helps me think that god might be on my side in S2 on Wednesday!!!

To Shiny - This is NOT hijacking!!! :rolleyes:
    oh s2 is going to be easy... it's like karma, they'll make up for the nastiest og p3 by only giving us like 1 question on s2 *don't shatter this illusion*... anyway shouldn't you be revising p2? *knows i should be*

lou xxx

edit: this is a hijacking

oh s2 is going to be easy... it's like karma, they'll make up for the nastiest og p3 by only giving us like 1 question on s2 *don't shatter this illusion*... anyway shouldn't you be revising p2? *knows i should be*

lou xxx

edit: this is a hijacking
    I've already got 81 or 82 on P2 so I'm not taking revision all that seriously (or doing any to be more precise ), I'll probably sit it tommorow simply because it's straight after History and I don't want to leave the exam room in the middle of other people working because it's rude. Tommorow should actually be pretty fun, I don't care about History and there is no pressure in P2 so I can be happy and cheerful all day....well until about 11am anyway!!! :rolleyes:

PS - Is it sad to talk your maths teacher into giving you a personal lesson before the S2 exam?!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    PS - Is it sad to talk your maths teacher into giving you a personal lesson before the S2 exam?!? :confused:
    of course it's not sad... i saw mine last saturday at an unearthly hour in town (i was going to work) and i was talking about stats to her. then there was the time me and my mate took our p3 to the gym with us and saw our maths teacher there...

actually one of our teachers has even said we can go round to her house as long as we ring up first (sos he can tidy up)

lou xxx

actually one of our teachers has even said we can go round to her house as long as we ring up first (sos he can tidy up)
    Teachers have houses?!? I assumed they lived in college?!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Teachers have houses?!? I assumed they lived in college?!? :confused:
    yeh sorry, me stupid, i meant go to her cupboard in the staff room

my mums a teacher and i always find it funny the look on her kinds faces when they see she actually has children.. and a husband... and goes shopping *shock shock horror horror*

lou xxx

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 20, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.