jarjarbinkss
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So basically I'm starting my a levels in September 2016, a levels have changed and now apparently we don't do AS we only do A2 or something like that? Does this mean I cant drop any subjects after one year.

Please can someone explain this to me and does it apply to all subjects. Does anyone know if it applies to maths, DT product design, economics, sociology

THANKS SO MUCH
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Tank Girl)
x
elise68
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Basically, the subjects that are linear (eg: sociology) it means that there are no exams at AS, therefore you will be tested on all your knowledge from the 2 years in your second year of A levels. You can still do exams at AS but if you decide to carry the subject on, that grade will not count towards your final grade. Hope that's helped😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jarjarbinkss)
So basically I'm starting my a levels in September 2016, a levels have changed and now apparently we don't do AS we only do A2 or something like that? Does this mean I cant drop any subjects after one year.

Please can someone explain this to me and does it apply to all subjects. Does anyone know if it applies to maths, DT product design, economics, sociology

THANKS SO MUCH
The changes are described fully here
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...a-level-reform

Different subjects change at different times, the details are given in the above link. Maths does not change until courses that start in 2017 with exams in 2019.
AS still exists, though you might not take them (your school college will decide, you'll need to ask them) and if you do your results don't count towards the final A level grade.
You may be able to start 4 and drop 1 at some point during your study. Some schools are making students pick just 3, some are allowing you to pick 4 and drop one around Xmas. Some are allowing 4 but you must decide which will just be an AS taken in year 12. Some are allowing 4, sitting 4 AS and allowing students to drop one after August results. You will need to discuss your options with your school/college.
The new qualifications are linear meaning the whole two years of content will be tested in full A level exams at the end of the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jarjarbinkss
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by gdunne42)
The changes are described fully here
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...a-level-reform

Different subjects change at different times, the details are given in the above link. Maths does not change until courses that start in 2017 with exams in 2019.
AS still exists, though you might not take them (your school college will decide, you'll need to ask them) and if you do your results don't count towards the final A level grade.
You may be able to start 4 and drop 1 at some point during your study. Some schools are making students pick just 3, some are allowing you to pick 4 and drop one around Xmas. Some are allowing 4 but you must decide which will just be an AS taken in year 12. Some are allowing 4, sitting 4 AS and allowing students to drop one after August results. You will need to discuss your options with your school/college.
The new qualifications are linear meaning the whole two years of content will be tested in full A level exams at the end of the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ok thanks alot, so if i start maths in 2016 september, the course wont have changed yet and I do AS then A2?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (353)
55.94%
I don't have everything I need (278)
44.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise