The Student Room Group

Dentistry

I'm planing to do dentist in the university, What should i take in my GCSE and A-Levels
Original post by Haitham__ak
I'm planing to do dentist in the university, What should i take in my GCSE and A-Levels

For GCSE, you'll need additional or triple science, and at A level you'll need biology and chemistry (some may take you with just bio or just chem but these will probably want the other subject at AS, or another science at A level). The rest is up to you :smile:

Start researching a couple unis you might be interested in and see what they ask for if you're worried, but that's the general overview of what universities are looking for.
An alevel in taking pleasure from touching people's yellow teeth
Original post by Josh Lyman
An alevel in taking pleasure from touching people's yellow teeth

ha ha ha! many lols had
Reply 4
Original post by lightwoXd
For GCSE, you'll need additional or triple science, and at A level you'll need biology and chemistry (some may take you with just bio or just chem but these will probably want the other subject at AS, or another science at A level). The rest is up to you :smile:

Start researching a couple unis you might be interested in and see what they ask for if you're worried, but that's the general overview of what universities are looking for.

What if i only have biology as a science but i have math. would they except me?
Original post by mercuryman
ha ha ha! many lols had

On a bit of a roll tonight

I wouldn't risk it. It is a quite competitive subject and it demands top A Levels, so you'll want to definitely have the subjects different unis require.

You can find online which unis will want what A Levels, but I'd still recommend having Chemistry, Biology at A2, and another science, like Maths to at least AS. (Though I'm not quite sure whether it asks for three sciences, as I've only looked at Medicine requirements for myself.)

Besides when you get to Year 13, there may be some Unis you really like and want to apply to, but you won't have what they ask for, and that would be such a crappy position to be in.
Reply 7
Original post by flyingpanda
I wouldn't risk it. It is a quite competitive subject and it demands top A Levels, so you'll want to definitely have the subjects different unis require.

You can find online which unis will want what A Levels, but I'd still recommend having Chemistry, Biology at A2, and another science, like Maths to at least AS. (Though I'm not quite sure whether it asks for three sciences, as I've only looked at Medicine requirements for myself.)

Besides when you get to Year 13, there may be some Unis you really like and want to apply to, but you won't have what they ask for, and that would be such a crappy position to be in.

how may GCSE do they require

It would definitely narrow down your choices of university a fair bit - I wouldn't be able to say which ones would accept you in this case, but it's something you should be able to find out by looking at the websites of individual unis (or contacting admissions). You can find a list of all the unis in the UK that offer dentistry here :smile:

(Sorry I'm not much help - I'm applying to medicine and while the two courses are similar, I'm not counting on them being exactly the same in terms of requirements,)
Usually chemistry is even more important than biology. I've heard of people getting in without biology but not without chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
how may GCSE do they require

I've found another thread on TSR that shows the requirements for Dentistry at GCSE and A Level. (Really, all you had to do was google dentistry requirements.)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15907-dentistry-entry-requirements

Quick Reply

Latest