The Student Room Group

21 years old and no work experience. Need advice.

Hi guys,
Im 21 years old, currently studying a degree in Food and Nutrition (getting low marks atm, :l) nvm.

Ive had no work experience. Ive had low confidence in the past, and been a bit slow. Only experience I have is volunteering in a small minor foodbank.

Can you please let me know where I can find a part time job?? Dont know where to look, and find one.
Just apply to as many as you can fix. Applying online at places like indeed is the easiest way but going into businesses and shops in person will give you a far better likelihood of getting you the job as long as your present yourself well
Reply 2
1. Print out 100 copies of CV.
2. Pick a quiet-ish time of day/week.
3. Walk into shop and ask for the manager.
4. Hand in CV (to shop assistant if manager isn't available and ask to pass on).
5. Repeat till you run out of CVs.
Reply 3
Change your CV when applying for jobs. I'm a university graduate and I'm struggling at the moment too even tho I have lots of work experience. Christmas would have been the best time since companies hire lots of temps.
I would consider you gain work experience or even volunteer at a local charity. Ask around.
Reply 5
Original post by Boreism
I would consider you gain work experience or even volunteer at a local charity. Ask around.

Ive done some volunteering at a foodbank, which I've now finished.
I also recieved an invitation to volunteer at a fire service, but I rang them today and told them that I am now looking for work instead. They've took me off the record.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Naveed-7
I also recieved an invitation to volunteer at a fire service, but I rang them today and told them that I am now looking for work instead. They've took me off the record.

You probably should've done it till you got a job - you're not going to get a job straight away and you'd be a volunteer, not contracted so it would've been fine to leave when you got a job. Can you be put back on the record? Or look for volunteer roles more related to whatever you want to do (would volunteering at a fire service be relevant for you? or were you going to do it just for the sake of it?)
Reply 7
- Job search online? There are dozens of sites which list vacancies or alternatively head on to the websites of companies where you may like to work and see if they have anything?
- Apply to grad schemes or something degree related, although low marks and no experience isn't going to look good D:
- handing out CVs is a good idea, print of a nice stack and pop into town and hand them out :smile:
- volunteering, you've said you've done enough of this but surely it's better than no job?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate it.

This may be valid, but I work for a national training provider called Seetec as a Personal Job Advisor. If you have signed on as a jobseeker at the job centre you may have came across the provider as they regularly refer jobseekers to us. I always work with jobseekers advising them to look for work in volunteering. Seetec provides many work placements and most of these are mainly volunteer positions.

Now that you have finished your volunteering placement, what are you planning to do with your career?
Reply 9
Original post by Boreism
This may be valid, but I work for a national training provider called Seetec as a Personal Job Advisor. If you have signed on as a jobseeker at the job centre you may have came across the provider as they regularly refer jobseekers to us. I always work with jobseekers advising them to look for work in volunteering. Seetec provides many work placements and most of these are mainly volunteer positions.

Now that you have finished your volunteering placement, what are you planning to do with your career?

I go back to university next week. I'll be looking for a part time job where I can work in the weekends/sometimes in the week.

I haven't ever been to the job centre. I've completed my CV as best as I could and planning to give CVs to any shops/companies that I'd like to work in.
I will also be using the www.reed.co.uk website.
Reply 10
Hi guys,
Im 21 years old, currently studying a degree in Food and Nutrition (getting low marks atm, :l) nvm.

Ive had no work experience. Ive had low confidence in the past, and been a bit slow. Only experience I have is volunteering in a small minor foodbank.

Can you please let me know where I can find a part time job?? Dont know where to look, and find one.

Go on indeed, monster, ujm jobsearch and search for a job by typing in the search box e.g. sales assistant, kitchen assistant.

If you email and send your CV to restaurants for kitchen assistant roles they will more than likely accept you without any experiences.
Look out for shops who need part time temps
Ask the council for jobs near elections- they sometimes have part time poll clerk or assistant roles that last for a few days
See if anyone you know has family who work in a particular store and ask them for a job
When I was in your position with absolutely no work experience, I must admit that a family friend who had owned a little corner shop was an alibi for me and lied and said that I had worked there for a little bit. This was my ticket to get me my first job working as a shop assistant in a retail store. I wouldn't really recommend lying, but hey, it's always an option. I know a few people that have lots of made up stuff on their CV's including GCSE and A Level results and it has never been questioned! But that said, if they ask to see certificates or want references to contact, it could leave you in a bit of a pickle. If you feel that not being completely honest would create more anxiety for you, don't bother. I think you should really big up the fact that you are studying, as I'm sure they will find that really impressive and you will seem ambitious and interesting, which I believe are good traits to have :h:. Highlight the details of your personality and skills that you feel would make you employable. Are you a people person? Do you like learning new things? Are you hard-worker, all that sort of thing. :smile: Good luck!
Reply 13
Just get a retail job, any job where you can gain customer service experience is useful in any career.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending