The Student Room Group
Reply 1
i started working as a volunteer in oxfam when i was 13, until i was 16, then i started working in topshop/miss selfridge, until recently! its easy to get volunteer work!
Reply 2
I know i can volunteer but I would really like a paying job, I don't mind how much I get but I don't really know whether or not I need a CV or I just walk in and ask. I need help with things like that. Thanx
There isnt much you can legally do apart from a paper-round until you are 16 im afraid, but there are a few exceptions to the rule, just can't think of any right now.
Reply 4
angelbabie
I know i can volunteer but I would really like a paying job, I don't mind how much I get but I don't really know whether or not I need a CV or I just walk in and ask. I need help with things like that. Thanx

Hey
Yeah like the other person said there isnt much you can do apart from a newspaper round as you do not have a national insurance number yet, (you will get this a couple of months before you are 16), however i would suggest voluntery work of some description and it doesnt have to be in a charity shop, it could be at your local animal rescue centre if you like animals or at your nearest hospital if you may be thinking of a medical career and this will look good on your cv anyway. It will be hard to find a paying job when you are 14 other than a newspaper round, but a cafe or somewhere may take you on, but i doubt it, i would look for a volutery job if i were you.
Hope this helps,
Chad
Some schools allow you to do work experience. I personally do community service (voluntarily! ...the number of people who think I'm a criminal when I say that is amazing) for my school and I quite enjoy it. Of course I don't get paid, but it's good experience in jobs and stuff, and we do fund raising and stuff too. Other advantages: it's controlled by your school so you're not on your own if something bad happens, and you're mainly with your friends. Not all schools will offer something like this though - ask yours about it. Also if you have friends with similar interests, go in for something with them - you might look more credible, and it'll certainly be more interesting and less embarrassing having to find out everyone's names and talk to them if you're shy in a 'real-world' job.

If your school doesn't do stuff like that and you can't find anywhere yourself, ask your teachers or parents! One of them will have done something like that or will know something about it. Teachers are people too... and a maths teacher doesn't just live inside an equation all his/her life, they'll have more experience and will probably know the place better. :smile:

Just an idea. :smile:
Reply 6
okay so what kind of volunteer jobs are available? :confused:
Reply 7
i watched on tv that you can do other jobs, not just paper rounds. you can work in a shop, probably corner shops for 1 hour before and 1 hour after school. you just got to pluck the corage and ask and if they say no, just take it on the chin and ask somewhere else
Reply 8
there was that thing on tv on shortchange on cbbc they were talking about stuff like that. Maybe theres some stuff on their website on bbc
Reply 9
thats where i saw it. have a look on there website on thee bcc website and see if you can find anyhting
Reply 10
yeah thanx everyone I just watched short change today because they repeat it on the cbbc channel and it was a lot of help :biggrin:
Reply 11
Actually another question is do u think I should just go in on my own and ask or go with my mum? Do you think it really makes a difference?
Reply 12
angelbabie
Actually another question is do u think I should just go in on my own and ask or go with my mum? Do you think it really makes a difference?

im not sure. i suppose if you go with your mum it shows your serious about having a job and i think the shopkeeper would think its better if they knew your parents are involved and are not just going to be messing around or nicking stuff.

i think you should take your mum
Reply 13
angelbabie

im not sure. i suppose if you go with your mum it shows your serious about having a job and i think the shopkeeper would think its better if they knew your parents are involved and are not just going to be messing around or nicking stuff.

Reply 14
angelbabie

Reply 15
angelbabie

Reply 16
angelbabie

Latest

Trending

Trending