Medicine at oxford Watch

username2334675
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm Iranian and come to the UK in 2012 I went to an underperforming school but was amongst the top.
I got 4A*s and 5As. Is that good enough for medicine at a good uni?
yukicookie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It depends what you get at Alevels and UKCAT. However, you should know that most applicants to Oxford have around 8-11A*s. Your grades are enough for universities with lower emphasis on GCSE, eg. St George's.
Duke Glacia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Plagioclase
usycool1
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by paria23)
I'm Iranian and come to the UK in 2012 I went to an underperforming school but was amongst the top.
You can find stats here: http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/med...cal/statistics

To be honest, you have very little chance for Oxford. They should be fine for other Medical Schools though - there is no such thing as a good uni for Medicine, they're all very good and will allow you to become a doctor.
MedicOllie11
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I'm Ollie and i'm an offer holder for medicine at Lincoln college, Oxford.

Firstly I would certainly have a look at the admissions statistics on the oxford medsci website that is linked above, as it will give you a reasonable idea of the competition.
That being said, although offer to interview is based primarily on BMAT/GCSE score it is worth noting that the GCSE score they use is weighted against the 5A*-C (including English Lang + Maths) % at your school. So theoretically, this system is designed for people like you! From speaking to tutors at open days they simply want the best people to study at oxford, so going to a poor school shouldn't effect this.

Therefore, my advice would be to apply, if you are confident of a very good BMAT, ideally above 65 to make up for your GCSE's (scoring system is on the medsci website), good A2 predictions, and if your college/school say that you would do well at interview!

Finally if you decide not to apply, don't worry! There are loads of amazing medical schools of which oxford is only one. but always remember that "those who don't apply have a 0% chance of getting in!"

If you need any other help feel free to pm me !
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would agree with what Ollie says above, with the one important caveat that i would not apply unless your application profile is really not suited to anywhere else either. Its true that your underperforming school, along with things like a deprived postcode or being the first in your family to go to uni, will gain you special consideration. However, the stats above are still true even when considering these! No one has got an offer in the last 3 years with GCSEs as 'low' as yours, and that is the bottom line.
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Depends on how seriously you want to take the statistics. Your chances of getting in are very, very low even taking contextual information into account. Is your chance of getting in zero? Probably not. But it's low enough that I can't recommend applying to Oxford unless as nexttime says, your application profile isn't suited to anywhere else. Because otherwise you're just wasting an option, probably.
mliela
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's more than enough to get into other top unis. Just remember that all medicine unis are good. Places like Durham, Newcastle, Manchester, queen Mary's and others don't really take GCSE grades into account. Make sure your a levels, UKCAt and BMAT are amazing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (115)
17.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.57%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (113)
17.3%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (97)
14.85%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.65%
How can I be the best version of myself? (196)
30.02%

Watched Threads