RobPolk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm applying for medicine for 2017 after a gap year.
I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Archaeology and Resistant materials all at A2 level.
For my AS I got an A in resistant materials and a B in everything else.
My question is, would it be sensible to drop Archaeology or would that damage my chances of getting into medicine? The amount of coursework involved with Archaeology is huge and I'm not confident that I would achieve higher than a C unless I put so much work into the coursework I could risk hurting my other courses.
I'm confident that I could achieve an A* in Resistant materials, and As in my sciences if I work for it. My concern here is that archaeology might look better on my UCAS application than resistant materials.
Thanks, Rob
♥Samantha♥
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think med schools will care much for an A* in resistant materials. Really you should put most of your effort into biology and chemistry. I think dropping archeology at AS should be fine especially if it will help bring up your science grades; the entry requirements are only 3 A2s. What universities are you applying for?
flyingpanda
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RobPolk)
I'm applying for medicine for 2017 after a gap year.
I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Archaeology and Resistant materials all at A2 level.
For my AS I got an A in resistant materials and a B in everything else.
My question is, would it be sensible to drop Archaeology or would that damage my chances of getting into medicine? The amount of coursework involved with Archaeology is huge and I'm not confident that I would achieve higher than a C unless I put so much work into the coursework I could risk hurting my other courses.
I'm confident that I could achieve an A* in Resistant materials, and As in my sciences if I work for it. My concern here is that archaeology might look better on my UCAS application than resistant materials.
Thanks, Rob

Honestly, I thought you needed three sciences at AS although I guess it depends on where you are going.

I think you can drop Archaeology, because it's Biology and Chemistry they want, along with anything else.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No UK University Medical School asks for 4 A levels and none give you any any extra credit for doing this.

Getting A*A*A* will ALWAYS look better than attempting four and just getting AAAB because you couldn't cope with the workload. Archaeology isn't relevant to Medicine so you loose nothing by dropping it.

Lots more advice on Applying for Medicine (including this sort of question) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
RobPolk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks Guys, Biology and Chemistry are where I want to focus my efforts of course. I'm looking at applying to Plymouth/ Exeter, Brighton and Queen Mary London, although these may change depending on where I can go with a military bursuary.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (68)
61.82%
No (42)
38.18%

Watched Threads