leopard923
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,
does anyone know what it means if I said 'the grass root movement' of the Montgomery Bus Boycott? Thanks in advance
ihatePE
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did the montgomery bus boycott and never heard of that term before, maybe your course focuses on that part more.
jammy4041
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The grass roots movement of the Montgomery Bus Boycott would be an interpretation that isn't 'King-centric,' or an interpretation which relies much less on the impact of the leadership of the Montgomery Improvement Association. For instance, it could be the high numbers of African Americans who stayed away from the buses, having heard through word of mouth, or by going to their African American churches. It could be those who walked to work en masse, in the face of huge pressures from the city to do so. It could be those who helped drive people to where they needed to go, at the rate of the old bus services.

The alternative interpretation would focus more on the MIA and the NAACP, especially with respect to Reverand Abernathy and the power struggle at the top amongst the city's African American leadership.

Hope this helps.
leopard923
Rep:
?
(Original post by jammy4041)
The grass roots movement of the Montgomery Bus Boycott would be an interpretation that isn't 'King-centric,' or an interpretation which relies much less on the impact of the leadership of the Montgomery Improvement Association. For instance, it could be the high numbers of African Americans who stayed away from the buses, having heard through word of mouth, or by going to their African American churches. It could be those who walked to work en masse, in the face of huge pressures from the city to do so. It could be those who helped drive people to where they needed to go, at the rate of the old bus services.

The alternative interpretation would focus more on the MIA and the NAACP, especially with respect to Reverand Abernathy and the power struggle at the top amongst the city's African American leadership.

Hope this helps.
Wow! Thanks soooo much! It all makes sense now lool. Thanks again
leopard923
Rep:
?
(Original post by ihatePE)
I did the montgomery bus boycott and never heard of that term before, maybe your course focuses on that part more.

The rest of my year doesn't even know what it means lool it's just my teacher who thinks it's a good phrase to use. Thanks for replying
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (39)
40.63%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (5)
5.21%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
9.38%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (5)
5.21%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
6.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
11.46%

Watched Threads