Religious experience vs Ordinary Experience Watch

Qmwnebrv
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
For Edexcel Unit 2 RE A Level, what would you describe as the difference between a religious experience and a normal experience?
Mimthompson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Qmwnebrv)
For Edexcel Unit 2 RE A Level, what would you describe as the difference between a religious experience and a normal experience?
Hey,
I'm doing AQA but it's still a topic in that so I don't imagine it's dissimilar.

I would talk about classifications of Religious Experiences by Caroline Franks Davies and Richard Swinburne. These give an indication of what a religious experience should be like.
Most importantly an ordinary experience does not include the divine.
Ordinary experiences also do not usually have the same effect, William James "God is real because his effects are real". Ordinary experiences do not generally change lives, of course there are a few exceptions and although some Religious Experiences don't change lives; most have some effect.
Ordinary experiences are also not unique and Religious experiences as described by many scholars are.
A religious experience unlike an ordinary experience has numinosity (fear and fascination) as described by Rudolph Otto.

Sorry it's not much as it's off the top of my head, if you want more I can easily find it in my folder at some point!
Hope this is helpful.
Mimthompson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Qmwnebrv)
I found some stuff today whilst revising, Hardy and Hay have a huge list of the differences between religious and extraordinary experiences in Peter Cole's book Religious Experience (If you don't have it I'd highly recommend it as it covers virtually everything).
Qmwnebrv
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Mimthompson)
I found some stuff today whilst revising, Hardy and Hay have a huge list of the differences between religious and extraordinary experiences in Peter Cole's book Religious Experience (If you don't have it I'd highly recommend it as it covers virtually everything).
Thank you so so much, this really helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (58)
15.76%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (34)
9.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (72)
19.57%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (54)
14.67%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (41)
11.14%
How can I be the best version of myself? (109)
29.62%

Watched Threads