The Student Room Group

When to begin past papers.

When do you all advise beginning past papers?
I've pretty much already begun Maths Past Papers as there's such a large amount to pick from and complete. When would you all recommend beginning past papers / past paper questions for Biology, Chemistry and Physics?

Thanks in advance :tongue:
Reply 1
Well...last year i started past papers at 6th april but that was a crash course ...7-8 papers of maths bio chem n physics everyday..so average of 2ish papers of every subject daily...but that took me 15 hours of practice daily which was a pain. moreover this approach is quite risky...in case u fall ill for like a week...so i would say start at the end of feb of atleast mid march
Reply 2
Original post by adeel14
Well...last year i started past papers at 6th april but that was a crash course ...7-8 papers of maths bio chem n physics everyday..so average of 2ish papers of every subject daily...but that took me 15 hours of practice daily which was a pain. moreover this approach is quite risky...in case u fall ill for like a week...so i would say start at the end of feb of atleast mid march

Thanks!

What did you achieve in the end? If you don't mind saying :smile:
Reply 3
5 As at AS ....96% in both maths n physics , 92% in bio n 84% in chem...see thats the problem with late start that i cdnt do much practice for chem n got screwed...i did a language but that was just for banter XD
Dropped bio n applied for mech engineering
wish u all the success
Reply 4
Original post by Kozmo
I've pretty much already begun Maths Past Papers as there's such a large amount to pick from and complete. When would you all recommend beginning past papers / past paper questions for Biology, Chemistry and Physics?

I did the same AS as you did,

until my mocks (which were 2nd week of january) i did nothing but make revision notes, and do about 2 past papers per mock exam.

i started actual papers mid-March. i aimed to do at least 7 per week (basically one a day but sometimes i relaxed). as exams got closer (about 3 weeks away) i did about 2-3 papers a day. then the week before exams i decreased my papers to about 1 every other day. and i recapped all my revision notes. i revised a total of about 90 minutes per day. i did 10 minutes per hour, relaxing for the other 50.

ended up with AAAA :smile:
Reply 5
now
Reply 6
Original post by kelefi
I did the same AS as you did,

until my mocks (which were 2nd week of january) i did nothing but make revision notes, and do about 2 past papers per mock exam.

i started actual papers mid-March. i aimed to do at least 7 per week (basically one a day but sometimes i relaxed). as exams got closer (about 3 weeks away) i did about 2-3 papers a day. then the week before exams i decreased my papers to about 1 every other day. and i recapped all my revision notes. i revised a total of about 90 minutes per day. i did 10 minutes per hour, relaxing for the other 50.

ended up with AAAA :smile:

Did you find it hart to complete such a number of past papers (1 per day) while still covering new content?

Did you continue to make notes on the new content while doing past papers? :smile:

Well done on your results, by the way!
Original post by Kozmo

Don't know about chem and phys, could be the same but don't know

But for biology, revise unit 4 so until you're fully confident then do 2 or 3 past papers to see if you've understood everything, work on areas where you're dropping marks, may just be keywords you're forgetting

Then do mocks if you haven't already and start revising unit 4 again around a month before the exam and once you're absolutely 100% confident, start doing the past papers 1 by 1 from old to new, working on your mistakes as you go through
Reply 8
Original post by rileystringer1
Don't know about chem and phys, could be the same but don't know

But for biology, revise unit 4 so until you're fully confident then do 2 or 3 past papers to see if you've understood everything, work on areas where you're dropping marks, may just be keywords you're forgetting

Then do mocks if you haven't already and start revising unit 4 again around a month before the exam and once you're absolutely 100% confident, start doing the past papers 1 by 1 from old to new, working on your mistakes as you go through

Unfortunately, I don't have units in my spec as it's the new, linear specification.

As a result, the majority of exam papers I will use will be past papers from the old spec which aren't of particular relevance to format and such.
I'm essentially going to have to do practice papers topic by topic.

What would you say about this?
Original post by Kozmo
Unfortunately, I don't have units in my spec as it's the new, linear specification.

As a result, the majority of exam papers I will use will be past papers from the old spec which aren't of particular relevance to format and such.

oh you're AS? unfortunately I don't know anything about the new spec so can't help you there
Immediately / ASAP

The key to success in maths / sciences at a level is doing lots of past papers.
Original post by Awesome Genius
Immediately / ASAP

Another one
Reply 12
Immediately / ASAP

I second this
Immediately / ASAP

This, start now.
Reply 14
Original post by Kozmo
Did you find it hart to complete such a number of past papers (1 per day) while still covering new content?

Did you continue to make notes on the new content while doing past papers? :smile:

Well done on your results, by the way!

well, by that point i had pretty much finished all the content for all of my subjects. that which i hadnt covered i did by myself in my revision notes. i made my notes first on what i did, then i did the rest of the revision notes about 3 weeks before exams. at that point i didnt do papers properly but rather did a "shorthand" version. like i answered eeach question in (at most) 10 words. just the key words.
Reply 15
Original post by Kozmo

Nah mate this shdnt b a big issue....last year i did M1 for maths yh n we got a question from moments chapter 5 of edexcelmechanics 1 and everyone was crying about it ....but my twin had done a paper from 2006 or 07 cant remember exactly n he told me it was the same question copy pasted from that paper....so the idea of telling this borring story is

"Examiners recycle questions"

They just put it in a different context...u know that borring story in the start of every question in sciences...but the questions they ask below have same essence as the questions from past years...so practice questions and past papers and u will b fine....its about absorbing the concept and applying it...and y cant b an expert of applying it if u dont have enough experience...so go ahead and treat yourself with a couple of past papers under timed conditions whenever u r borred haha!

Quick Reply

Latest