The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Information Maanagement for Business - How Quantitative?

Hello,
I have been interested in applying to UCL's IMB course. However, I would really like to study some mathematics during my university years, and I was wondering if anyone knows how quantitative the course is?
It doesn't seem like student study any mathematics modules, however one studies "Programming 1-2", do these modules contain mathematics?
Reply 1
Hi vanillaboy,

The course does not contain much mathematics. The most in depth mathematics is most probably algorithms. The course is not necessarily designed for people with a mathematical background as opposed to Computer Science (CS) which is. CS with Business may be a better bet if you want to study more a mathematically challenging syllabus.

Best Wishes,
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by DBR247
Hi vanillaboy,

The course does not contain much mathematics. The most in depth mathematics is most probably algorithms. The course is not necessarily designed for people with a mathematical background as opposed to Computer Science (CS) which is. CS with Business may be a better bet if you want to study more a mathematically challenging syllabus.

Best Wishes,

Hi, thanks for your answer. Other than the maths part I was quite interested in UCL's IMB course and I really want to study at UCL. Are you a student at IMB? If I would at least be able to choose some mathematics electives, that would have been sufficient for me.
Reply 3
Original post by vanillaboy
Hi, thanks for your answer. Other than the maths part I was quite interested in UCL's IMB course and I really want to study at UCL. Are you a student at IMB? If I would at least be able to choose some mathematics electives, that would have been sufficient for me.

No problem, I am an offer holder. I have chosen the course because it does not require mathematics as I was previously looking at CS which is. If you are a current mathematics student I would certainly could consider Computer Science, although I don't think this can be combined with management at UCL unfortunately.
Reply 4
Original post by DBR247
No problem, I am an offer holder. I have chosen the course because it does not require mathematics as I was previously looking at CS which is. If you are a current mathematics student I would certainly could consider Computer Science, although I don't think this can be combined with management at UCL unfortunately.

Congratulations on your offer. When did you apply and how long did it take for you to get your offer, if I may ask?
I've actually already applied to the course and am really hoping to receive an offer, despite the apparent lack of mathematic depth. I've looked into CS courses, but my mathematics grades in school are somewhat lacking. I'm by no means a mathematician and I don't need "extreme" mathematic rigour to be stimulated academically, I just wanted to be able to at least study a bit of mathematics during my years at university.
Reply 5
Congratulations on your offer. When did you apply and how long did it take for you to get your offer, if I may ask?
I've actually already applied to the course and am really hoping to receive an offer, despite the apparent lack of mathematic depth. I've looked into CS courses, but my mathematics grades in school are somewhat lacking. I'm by no means a mathematician and I don't need "extreme" mathematic rigour to be stimulated academically, I just wanted to be able to at least study a bit of mathematics during my years at university.

I applied around 18 November and it took around 3 weeks to receive an offer. I understand what you mean regarding your desire to study maths but if your grades have been lacking in maths this is a good course for you. I am sure if you want to study more mathematics they could provide you with more advanced algorithms.

Best of luck to you,
Reply 6
Original post by DBR247
I applied around 18 November and it took around 3 weeks to receive an offer. I understand what you mean regarding your desire to study maths but if your grades have been lacking in maths this is a good course for you. I am sure if you want to study more mathematics they could provide you with more advanced algorithms.

Best of luck to you,

Okay, thanks for your replies. I should probably stop refreshing UCAS Track so frantically then haha :smile:.
My PS was actually written for CS with Management as I applied for that course at some other unis. Do you think that will lower my chances of getting an offer drastically? I figured the courses are very close to each other.
Reply 7
Okay, thanks for your replies. I should probably stop refreshing UCAS Track so frantically then haha :smile:.
My PS was actually written for CS with Management as I applied for that course at some other unis. Do you think that will lower my chances of getting an offer drastically? I figured the courses are very close to each other.

No problem, don't get paranoid refreshing UCAS track, I got to that stage myself! Just keep a check on those emails. No, certainly provided you have discussed the role of information systems within organisations you should have no problems. The course seems very similar to CS with business in all but name.

Good luck!,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending