The Student Room Group

3D Games Art (15th January deathline)

Hello,

I'm looking for some help to choose an university in the UK to study Game Art and Design. Finding the course is easy but the problem is that I want to pursue a carreer in 3D modelling.

For that effect I'm searching for a course that works mostly 3D Modelling.

An example that I found that interested me was in the Hertfordshire University the course 3D Game Art and Design. I can't attend that one because it asks for Maths as a requirement to enter and I don't have that subject in my school of arts.

So, please help me find the best solution for me in this case.

I found the following univs:

Futureworks- manchester
De Montford
Bradford
Brunel
Staffordshire
Hertfordshire
UCA (not sure of this one)

Thank you,
Paulo Soares
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi there,

It's exciting to hear you're thinking about Staffs. I'm the official rep for the uni on TSR so if there's anything you need to know feel free to get in touch.

Is there anything in particular you are looking for in the course or university?

The details for our Game Art course are here.
We've also got a Games Design course here.

Have a look at the core modules and options for both of them and see which one interests you more. :h: I'll also ask our department and find out which would be preferred for a future career in 3D modelling.

You'll also have the option of taking a placement. :h:
@UddsMorex

Hi there,

I've heard back from one of our lecturers now and they think that for purely 3D you'll want Games Art (which uses 3D Max and Zbrush) or VFX: Visual Effects and Concept Design (which uses Maya for 3D and ZBrush).

Games Concept Design is 2D and 3D (uses Maya).

It's all down to personal preference in the end and which course modules look like they'll interest you the most :smile:

Katie
Reply 3
Hi,

Thank your for such a complete answer to my question. I am really considering attending to your university, however it doesn't deppends only on me.

Anyway, thank you again, when I have more information about my application and if I aplied to your university I will let you know.

Paulo
Original post by UddsMorex
Hi,

Thank your for such a complete answer to my question. I am really considering attending to your university, however it doesn't deppends only on me.

Anyway, thank you again, when I have more information about my application and if I aplied to your university I will let you know.

Paulo

You're welcome :h: Let me know if any other questions come up, and let me know what you decide in the end :smile: Good luck!

Katie
Hi! This is probably not the best time to reply, but you might still change your mind.

I am a second year at Futureworks, doing 3D VFX and it's pretty cool. As far as I know, also Bradford is great for 3D and VFX. We use maya and mudbox, game guys do 3ds max, maya and mudbox. I think they are getting zbrush from next year.

Quick Reply

Latest