What does a career advisor do? What should i ask?

Watch
gdickenson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This may sound stupid, but what does a career advisor do? I have a meeting with one on Monday because no one else wanted to go and as I am stuck on what to take for options, I though I might as well use the opportunity.

But what kinds of things do they ask you about?
Also, is there anything you wished that you had asked a career advisor and recommend that I do?

Thanks
TheConfusedMedic
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Generally ask you about what subjects you're interested in and work from there. They tell you what the possible job opportunities are with the subjects you like and push you towards certain subjects/careers. If they don't you could ask them about the possibilities of jobs with the a levels you plan on taking. Maybe find out about the workload of each subject and stuff like that?
Jamesy11
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The clue is in the name.

They will most likely ask you what your options are, and then discuss possible career paths that these may suggest, as well as developing on ideas that you give him (e.g. Law may not seem obvious with some subjects but may still be a long term goal etc.). They will then probably suggest some courses or possibly some universities to look at.

There isn't especially anything I regret not asking as usually the advisor will discuss any queries naturally through the course of the conversation.
gdickenson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (161)
14.48%
I'm not sure (50)
4.5%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (329)
29.59%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.97%
I'm not a current university student (539)
48.47%

Watched Threads