The Student Room Group

Can I take Further Maths 1 as a fourth AS subjects? And is it..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student403
Yeah correct then :smile:

Thanks!:smile:
Original post by SeanFM
Doing C1, C2, S1 and FP1 gives you an AS Maths qualification and nothing else. You need two other applied units (eg M1 and D1 or S2 and D1 etc) to get a Further Maths AS qualification.

For Edexcel, Further Maths AS is slightly more difficult than AS Maths (depending on what applied modules you do as well). If you're good at / enjoy Maths, then it shouldn't be too difficult. But don't take on work that you don't need to - check Dentistry's entry requirements if you haven't already and look at what subjects they do, and whether sociology is a suitable A-level for that, or how they view Further Maths, etc.

Oh, so basically if I continue Maths to A2, and did (C1, C2, S1) C3, C4, M1 and FP1, would that be considered as two individual subjects? A level Maths and AS Further Maths?!
Original post by Alexion
To do FM as an AS, you need to complete FP1, FP2 and another applied module.

The content of the FP modules is different, but not too bad to apply once you understand it.

Not FP2, can be M2, S2 or D2
Reply 23
Original post by Adorable98
Oh, so basically if I continue Maths to A2, and did (C1, C2, S1) C3, C4, M1 and FP1, would that be considered as two individual subjects? A level Maths and AS Further Maths?!

For an AS in Further Maths you need to do 3 modules (as you do in Maths), just doing FP1 is not enough is not enough for you to have an AS in Further Maths.

No

You would need any 2 other units to get an AS in further maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nerwen
For an AS in Further Maths you need to do 3 modules (as you do in Maths), just doing FP1 is not enough is not enough for you to have an AS in Further Maths.

Original post by gdunne42
No

You would need any 2 other units to get an AS in further maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, I see then!!
Thaanks!:smile:

Not quite. There you would just have an A-level in Maths and FP1, just an extra unit leading to no qualification.

You need to do units in sets of 3. If you are going to be taught Maths and Further Maths in a class, then you do not need to worry about how modules work.

Spoiler

Original post by SeanFM
Not quite. There you would just have an A-level in Maths and FP1, just an extra unit leading to no qualification.

You need to do units in sets of 3. If you are going to be taught Maths and Further Maths in a class, then you do not need to worry about how modules work.

Spoiler

Cheers!! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest