CookieMonster456
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am looking to find a good SLR camera that I can use to take high quality photos and videos when I go on holiday. I have never bought one before, so if anyone can recommend a really good quality one, that would help me a lot! Also please could you tell me the pros and cons of the camera. Thank you.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CookieMonster456)
I am looking to find a good SLR camera that I can use to take high quality photos and videos when I go on holiday. I have never bought one before, so if anyone can recommend a really good quality one, that would help me a lot! Also please could you tell me the pros and cons of the camera. Thank you.
Pretty much every DSLR made for the last 5+ years, or even longer, can be considered good quality, making recommendations will come more down to brand differences and price range. What's your budget? Are there any particular kinds of photography you want to do?

Also, are you after a DSLR specifically, or just a high quality camera with switchable lenses? Because there's another category of high quality cameras known as mirrorless cameras, which are cameras that use the same imaging technology as DSLRs but don't have the system of mirrors that DSLRs use for their optical viewfinders (which function similarly to a periscope) and instead use either electronic viewfinders or just use the screen on the back of the camera like regular point & shoots. The advantage is you can (typically) get DSLR-quality images in much smaller sizes, while on the downside you lose the the optical viewfinder which many people vastly prefer for using their cameras with. Does that sound like something that may interest you, or are you just after a "proper" DSLR?
CookieMonster456
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
Pretty much every DSLR made for the last 5+ years, or even longer, can be considered good quality, making recommendations will come more down to brand differences and price range. What's your budget? Are there any particular kinds of photography you want to do?

Also, are you after a DSLR specifically, or just a high quality camera with switchable lenses? Because there's another category of high quality cameras known as mirrorless cameras, which are cameras that use the same imaging technology as DSLRs but don't have the system of mirrors that DSLRs use for their optical viewfinders (which function similarly to a periscope) and instead use either electronic viewfinders or just use the screen on the back of the camera like regular point & shoots. The advantage is you can (typically) get DSLR-quality images in much smaller sizes, while on the downside you lose the the optical viewfinder which many people vastly prefer for using their cameras with. Does that sound like something that may interest you, or are you just after a "proper" DSLR?
I am not really sure what 'cheap' or 'expensive' would be for a camera, as I have never bought one before, but I would probably like one of the cheaper ones as long as it is good. I am mostly going to be taking photos and videos of scenery and landscapes of places that I will be visiting.

Thank you for informing me of the mirrorless cameras, but I think I am just looking for a 'proper' DSLR. Are you able to recommend a specific brand or model?
KCLeblanc
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you for informing me of the mirrorless cameras, but I think I am just looking for a 'proper' DSLR. Are you able to recommend a specific brand or model?
You can't go far wrong with either Canon or Nikon. Do you have a budget in mind?
CookieMonster456
Rep:
?
(Original post by KCLeblanc)
You can't go far wrong with either Canon or Nikon. Do you have a budget in mind?
Possibly anything between 200-400 pounds, but as I said, I am not really sure of what is expensive and what isn't. Are you able to recommend a specific model?
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Possibly anything between 200-400 pounds, but as I said, I am not really sure of what is expensive and what isn't. Are you able to recommend a specific model?
I have this one, which is the current number 1 best seller on Amazon
http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/prod...slr/eos_1200d/

As far as I am able to tell, which will be all that you are going to be able to tell as a DSLR noob as well, it has everything you are going to need. I bought it as an entry level camera to learn how to take photographs properly. Other more knowledgeable people have told me is is a good buy.

What I will say is this: beware of thinking it's the camera that makes you into a good photographer. I took decent pics with my old camera, which was an above point-and-shoot Nikon, and I thought having lots of whistles and bells would make them better. In fact, it has far too many things on it for me ever to learn what they do, it is heavy and bulky, as all DSLRs are, and having to change lenses to do things my old Nikon could do by itself just put me off. It's too much hassle. I'm going back to my old camera. Just think through why you want it and what you think you will do with it, because you sound like I was a year ago and £300 better off.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In your price range there's the D3200, D3300 and D5300 from Nikon, the 1200D and 100D from Canon, and the K50 and KS1 from Pentax. For standard photography all will do great and produce excellent images, and will also perform similarly for video. Of those cameras I would say the 100D, D5300 and K-50 are the ones most worth considering for each brand, with each having a few unique points. The 100D is the smallest DSLR in the world and has a touch screen and the best selection of affordable lenses, for example Canon have an ultra-wide angle lens (the Canon 10-18mm IS STM) for under £200 which would be awesome for landscapes. The D5300 has the best image quality and the best autofocus system, as well as a rotating screen. The K-50 has lots of features only found in substantially more expensive cameras from Canon and Nikon, like being weather sealed so you can use it in the rain (with weather sealed lenses), shooting 6fps in continuous shooting, a larger viewfinder and in-camera image stabilisation which means all lenses will be stabilised whilst being smaller in size.

Alternatively are you willing to buy used cameras? It would mean you can potentially get a more advanced camera for the same sort of price range.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.5%
Uncertainty around my education (279)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.94%
Isolating with family (126)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.37%
Loneliness (176)
9.88%
Financial worries (72)
4.04%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (163)
9.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.07%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.87%

Watched Threads