The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

English Literature at Bristol

I've heard some bad things about english literature at Bristol e.g it's not worth your time but Bristol sounds like a great place so I just was wondering views of the course etc before I apply?
I am an English lit student but I'm only first year, so I don't think I've got enough experience with the course to give you a good view of it. I didn't enjoy last term that much because of personal reasons and the amount of work. Particularly with Critical Issues, a mandatory course with a fair amount of reading. However, I've talked to 4 second year students who have said that it gets so much better since they have had more control over the courses they take. Part of the problem of first year is that you don't get much choice in what you study, but I doubt other universities will be different and you might just have to think about the first year as learning how university works. You'll get to study the parts of English that you're really passionate about in the second and third year. Hope this is somewhat helpful :smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by HarleenQuinzel
I am an English lit student but I'm only first year, so I don't think I've got enough experience with the course to give you a good view of it. I didn't enjoy last term that much because of personal reasons and the amount of work. Particularly with Critical Issues, a mandatory course with a fair amount of reading. However, I've talked to 4 second year students who have said that it gets so much better since they have had more control over the courses they take. Part of the problem of first year is that you don't get much choice in what you study, but I doubt other universities will be different and you might just have to think about the first year as learning how university works. You'll get to study the parts of English that you're really passionate about in the second and third year. Hope this is somewhat helpful :smile:

Do you get any open units on the course? And are there any opportunities to study abroad to America by any chance? I couldn't find much on the website.
Original post by studdybuddy101
Do you get any open units on the course? And are there any opportunities to study abroad to America by any chance? I couldn't find much on the website.

If the course is the same for you as it is for me, when you choose your optional unit you'll have list of somewhat relevant subjects and units within that to pick from. I'm not sure about the choices for open units in the second and third years but I imagine there's a wide range considering how many different units you can choose within English itself. I'm know there are chances to study abroad since my Mum tried to encourage me to take it up, but I don't personally know anything else about it. Sorry, I realise that's not very helpful. This link might give you more useful information: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/international-office/go-abroad/study/options.html
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Natasha1998
I've heard some bad things about english literature at Bristol e.g it's not worth your time but Bristol sounds like a great place so I just was wondering views of the course etc before I apply?

why is it not worth your time?
I'm a first year at Bristol studying English and I also didn't enjoy last term much. The poetry unit can get very repetitive, and the contact hours are very low and there's not a lot of guidance for essay writing. I've enjoyed second term more, probably because I'm starting to get used to it a bit more, but the first term was very off-putting for me.
Feel like I made a mistake firming it now :frown:
Original post by studdybuddy101
Feel like I made a mistake firming it now :frown:

don't worry! The first term probably has the lightest reading load as you'll probably just be reading poems and 6 or 7 books for critical issues. I've been enjoying second term a lot more, so I think you just have to get through first term. And some of the optional units next year sound really interesting.

But poetry isn't my thing at all and that's probably why I couldn't stand first term, so you might enjoy it more! And low contact hours etc. are annoying but you can arrange to meet your tutors during consultation hours for extra help and to talk about essays.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending