so far ive bought:
-guitar
-amp
-3 pairs of shoes
-watch

and now i plan on buying £700 of sports memorabilia

Scroll to see replies

Not necessarily, most don't.
Will you have enough money for living costs.
Or are you living with your parents OP?
So is eating Sainsbury's 11p noodles
How have you bought all that and still have £700 leftover? :eek:
I paid my rent and had like £900 or so left. Already spent like £200 on food, books, bus pass, etc. :dontknow:
Original post by Mochassassin
How have you bought all that and still have £700 leftover? :eek:
I paid my rent and had like £900 or so left. Already spent like £200 on food, books, bus pass, etc. :dontknow:

not paying rent this year
plus for the next 2 years im living at home and commuting, so i wont apply for a loan for those years
Original post by Straighthate
not paying rent this year
plus for the next 2 years im living at home and commuting, so i wont apply for a loan for those years

Oh, I see. I didn't realise you could save so much by living at home. :redface:
Reply 7
Oh, I see. I didn't realise you could save so much by living at home. :redface:

probably would depend on where you live and how far away the uni is. with travel prices it can't need to be too far away and halls is cheaper.

'home' for me is usually 50 min drive away from my uni. Going on train as the costs is easier to work out (takes longer, between an hour and 1 hour 30 depending on time waiting at a station to change trains) The cost per day to uni and back is (rounded) £12 and would be £20 if I didn't have a discount card so I will use £20 to work it out.

I am in uni every day. so it would be £100 a week travel. suddenly halls doesn't look so expensive, because it's also 3 hours a day traveling I'm not working or doing something more enjoyable! My halls is £115 a week, and I know that's more expensive than some, and I also know many people go a lot further away to uni than I did. Another point is, I believe if you stay living at home you get less money from student finance, despite that it probably costs you just as much in travel as for halls!

It would depend on every situation but using myself as an example It's not a massive difference.
Original post by dipka
probably would depend on where you live and how far away the uni is. with travel prices it can't need to be too far away and halls is cheaper.

'home' for me is usually 50 min drive away from my uni. Going on train as the costs is easier to work out (takes longer, between an hour and 1 hour 30 depending on time waiting at a station to change trains) The cost per day to uni and back is (rounded) £12 and would be £20 if I didn't have a discount card so I will use £20 to work it out.

I am in uni every day. so it would be £100 a week travel. suddenly halls doesn't look so expensive, because it's also 3 hours a day traveling I'm not working or doing something more enjoyable! My halls is £115 a week, and I know that's more expensive than some, and I also know many people go a lot further away to uni than I did. Another point is, I believe if you stay living at home you get less money from student finance, despite that it probably costs you just as much in travel as for halls!

It would depend on every situation but using myself as an example It's not a massive difference.

Oh wow, mine's the same as you! It's 40-50 mins by car, an hour and a half (near enough) by train and it costs £11 with my rail card! I'd have to walk into town and get a bus to campus though which would be so much hassle. I'm going to aim to get my driving done before the end of the academic year and drive. It's literally one huuuuuge motorway with beautiful scenery and like two roundabouts - shouldn't be too difficult (says the girl who hasn't got a licence). :')

Yeah, you defo get less money if you stay at home, tbh. But I'm not in every day and I have very little contact hours so it's probably better if I stay at home! :smile:
Oh wow, mine's the same as you! It's 40-50 mins by car, an hour and a half (near enough) by train and it costs £11 with my rail card! I'd have to walk into town and get a bus to campus though which would be so much hassle. I'm going to aim to get my driving done before the end of the academic year and drive. It's literally one huuuuuge motorway with beautiful scenery and like two roundabouts - shouldn't be too difficult (says the girl who hasn't got a licence). :':wink:

Yeah, you defo get less money if you stay at home, tbh. But I'm not in every day and I have very little contact hours so it's probably better if I stay at home! :smile:

What do you study?
Original post by dipka

im probably only going to go in next year for seminars
all the lectures are recorded and they are a waste of time attending
so ill be in for 2-3 days a week max
i'll save £11,500 over the next 2 years from not living out
Original post by BlackSweetness
What do you study?

English. :lol:
OP, I would recommend you save it in a bank rather than spending it
Original post by captainslow69
So is eating Sainsbury's 11p noodles

11p? They cost 30p here :/
English. :lol:

Fair enough! Its a hard subject, im suprised it has so little contact hours compared to others
Reply 15
Oh wow, mine's the same as you! It's 40-50 mins by car, an hour and a half (near enough) by train and it costs £11 with my rail card! I'd have to walk into town and get a bus to campus though which would be so much hassle. I'm going to aim to get my driving done before the end of the academic year and drive. It's literally one huuuuuge motorway with beautiful scenery and like two roundabouts - shouldn't be too difficult (says the girl who hasn't got a licence). :':wink:

That's fine if you can drive-or have the option to learn. I can't because of health/disability reasons.
Also, fine if you have a lot less lessons than I do! we have on 4 days next semester.. All this about uni students having lots of free time for parties is rubbish, I've got no free time for anything I would call leisure.

im probably only going to go in next year for seminars
all the lectures are recorded and they are a waste of time attending
so ill be in for 2-3 days a week max
i'll save £11,500 over the next 2 years from not living out

I imagine most people will do something like this, or pick what days/units, rather than all 4, especially those living anything other than a walk from halls away.
Wow, how expensive is your halls!? Although, I admit I don't know the per a week amount £11,500 for 2 years sounds like a lot. How much is it for each week, or would it be if you were there?
Fair enough! Its a hard subject, im suprised it has so little contact hours compared to others

THANK YOU, for also thinking it's a hard subject! It may be a Mickey mouse degree but it really is quite difficult. I do both English Lit and Lang so I get my fair share of difficult modules too!
THANK YOU, for also thinking it's a hard subject! It may be a Mickey mouse degree but it really is quite difficult. I do both English Lit and Lang so I get my fair share of difficult modules too!

Your welcome, things like media studies and art are mickey mouse courses. Academic subjects like history and english are quite hard in my opinion haha.
Reply 18
so far ive bought:
-guitar
-amp
-3 pairs of shoes
-watch

and now i plan on buying £700 of sports memorabilia

It's a loan, do whatever you want with it.
Reply 19
Your welcome, things like media studies and art are mickey mouse courses. Academic subjects like history and english are quite hard in my opinion haha.

YOU'RE sounding ironically judgemental.

Quick Reply