Difference between History and Modern history? Watch

Blancosdos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Whats the difference?

Most schools offer History,yet i seen this one school that offers Modern History.Whats the difference?

Also will Uni's look down upon Modern History(like they do at English language and literature)
markovchain17
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They talk about stuff that happened yesterday

Posted from TSR Mobile
Blancosdos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
bump,previous reply was useless.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Blancosdos)
Whats the difference?

Most schools offer History,yet i seen this one school that offers Modern History.Whats the difference?

Also will Uni's look down upon Modern History(like they do at English language and literature)
There is no real difference between the title; it's just the preference of the school. You will get an A-level that will say "History" on your certificate, even if you go to the school that offers Modern History. There is not a single exam board that has "Modern History" as an A-level.

History is a broader term meaning schools will usually pick different topics from different areas in history. So one topic could be the the policies of Prime Minister Sir Robert Peel during 1841-46. The second topic could be the Tudors and the War of the Roses. Third topic could be witchcraft in North American and Europe in 16th and 17th centuries. And then it's usually coursework.

But, if it says Modern History, I shall be guessing it could be any topic that begins in the 20th century. So possible could have a combination of WW1, Civil Rights Movement and Cold War. Or the whole two years could focus on one timeline/theme such as looking at Fascism in Italy with Mussolini and then WW2 and the uprise of Hitler and Nazism. I do believe it is a requirement to study a topic that covers at least 100 years and to study more than one country or state. So your entire whole year in Modern History could consist of just studying Germany from Mussolini to the end of Hitiler and then War and Britain so from 1880-1980 - any wars in between 100 years.

Unis will not look down at it because at the end of the day, history is just history. It's the same subject. Might learn or miss a few skills because if you were to learn a topic such as the First Crusades, the sources you'd learn would be different from MH. First Crusades you'd do a bit of architectural work. And maybe some stuff from the Romantic Era if you were to study a topic on the that era, you'd have to analyse a painting. But nevertheless, it still prepares you for undergraduate work in the field of History.

Hope that helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (50)
9.52%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.67%
No, but I want to start (189)
36%
No, I am unable to (122)
23.24%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.57%