The Student Room Group

Pursuing a BA in Music Production. I am at a loss with my options. Please help?

Hello, all.

I'm an 18 years old (19 in Feb) male, self-taught musician, and looking to get into University to study for a BA in music production & sound engineering. However, you could say my educational background has not been of the norm and I simply regret to admit I have absolutely no idea on how to achieve this goal. Long story incoming, so please bear with me.

I have a very basic background in terms of education. My family have always taken the good 'ol fashioned, "find a job, get experience, and make a career out of yourself via word of mouth" approach for generations. They have succeeded well in life this way, but I feel that in my heart, taking my education further and achieving a BA in Music Production is the best thing thing I can do for my future, and a future in the music industry.

I have been home/self educated all my life, due to very personal issues, and also to look after my mother. When I hit 16, I chose the option to continue to study any subject I wanted to at home under my own supervision. This subject was music. I had been playing piano casually since I was very young, so I knew my future was in music. During these last three years, I have self-taught myself piano, guitar, basic music theory, and just in this last year, I have been teaching myself music production. I have even set up my own home recording studio and I absolutely love it. Now I feel, as I turn 19 next month, it is time to take this further and push myself to reach for higher things and take more steps to achieving my goals in life.

Unfortunately, because of my past in education, I am at a bit of a road block, now. Although I feel I have done well in home education, I do not have any official qualifications nor do I have much experience with how the higher education system works. I have been researching the best I can for some time now, although last year, someone very close to me sadly passed away, and this took great affect on me.

I have only just resumed research. However, I understand that I am likely much too late to apply for University this year, plus my lack of qualifications and reference also put me up against the odds of being accepted. I would like to make up for that this year so that I will be ready for University next year (or in a couple of years or more, depending on what I need to do). I would greatly appreciate any advice and pointers that will help me given my current situation. I am also asking for some aid in choosing the best options to take so I can begin to work towards achieving my goal as soon as possible. I know there will be no quick and easy route for me, but I am willing to put in the effort and hard work to get there for a brighter future.

Thank you in advance.

PS: Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place. Feel free to move it to the correct location if need be.
Original post by PurpleCosmos
Hello, all.

I'm an 18 years old (19 in Feb) male, self-taught musician, and looking to get into University to study for a BA in music production & sound engineering. However, you could say my educational background has not been of the norm and I simply regret to admit I have absolutely no idea on how to achieve this goal. Long story incoming, so please bear with me.

I have a very basic background in terms of education. My family have always taken the good 'ol fashioned, "find a job, get experience, and make a career out of yourself via word of mouth" approach for generations. They have succeeded well in life this way, but I feel that in my heart, taking my education further and achieving a BA in Music Production is the best thing thing I can do for my future, and a future in the music industry.

I have been home/self educated all my life, due to very personal issues, and also to look after my mother. When I hit 16, I chose the option to continue to study any subject I wanted to at home under my own supervision. This subject was music. I had been playing piano casually since I was very young, so I knew my future was in music. During these last three years, I have self-taught myself piano, guitar, basic music theory, and just in this last year, I have been teaching myself music production. I have even set up my own home recording studio and I absolutely love it. Now I feel, as I turn 19 next month, it is time to take this further and push myself to reach for higher things and take more steps to achieving my goals in life.

Unfortunately, because of my past in education, I am at a bit of a road block, now. Although I feel I have done well in home education, I do not have any official qualifications nor do I have much experience with how the higher education system works. I have been researching the best I can for some time now, although last year, someone very close to me sadly passed away, and this took great affect on me.

I have only just resumed research. However, I understand that I am likely much too late to apply for University this year, plus my lack of qualifications and reference also put me up against the odds of being accepted. I would like to make up for that this year so that I will be ready for University next year (or in a couple of years or more, depending on what I need to do). I would greatly appreciate any advice and pointers that will help me given my current situation. I am also asking for some aid in choosing the best options to take so I can begin to work towards achieving my goal as soon as possible. I know there will be no quick and easy route for me, but I am willing to put in the effort and hard work to get there for a brighter future.

Thank you in advance.

PS: Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place. Feel free to move it to the correct location if need be.

Sorry you haven't had an answer to this. I will move it to a forum where you are more likely to get a reply.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Sorry you haven't had an answer to this. I will move it to a forum where you are more likely to get a reply.

Thank you very much.
Reply 3
I am sorry to hear about your mum but well done on using the time wisely to do work on your musical craft.

I went to uni and studied Commercial Music (supposed to have taught me the ins and out of the music industry as well music production/ engineering). However it was a waste of time as the university did not invest the time to teach us in detail how to record, mix and master in the studio, instead it was up to 2 fast track session with 20 other people and then told to go off and do it on our own.

So after many years of teaching myself about music production decided to do 1 to 1 Music Technology and Sound Engineering diploma with London AMP (I am 3 months in) as I wanted to perfect my skills and make sure I didn't pick up any bad habits. All other similar schools (Point Blank/ SSR) were taught in a class of 10 and unfortunately I did the whole social scene at uni, make friends etc and I needed to be in a class to focus, ask as many questions as possible until the information is drilled into me and have all the attention on me (I know it might sound selfish but it definitely helps as you're not judged by other people if you ask the most simple questions) and I realised that if I want to do this as a career, I can't have any distractions and the place offers more hands on experience in the studio using a mixing console and to advance your production skills in your chosen DAW, which for me is Logic but I am learning about Ableton and Pro Tools.

Everyone is different and it's all depends on how they learn and their capabilities.
I tried teaching myself how to mix and used video tutorials but felt it lacked the teacher/ student guidance for me, no matter how many times I watched the clip, I just wasn't getting the sound I wanted and because I didn't have someone TELLING me 'your levels are wrong/ right, you're not using enough buses or sends are wrongs etc' I was worried that I was picking up bad habits with each of my tracks.
I'm the sort of person that I physically need to be there and watch someone, what they are doing and then imitate or at least be able to ask questions and get answers quick which again video tutorials lack.

Practice does make perfect but you also need to know where you are going wrong and if you can recognise and rectify it yourself and then carry on with what you're doing (DIY) but if you need guidance from a professional, then either do work experience or go to a music production school where it is more hands on (vocational) rather than theory.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending