Report 5 years ago
hey, which uni you in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
fatjan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have an offer from university of Aberdeen.
How about you?
Modernthinker
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hey i also applied for beng petroleum engineering - in fact i am going to firm it . Where you from again in england and originally? lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
fatjan
Rep:
?
I am from Indonesia.
Nice to meet you.

Where do you come from?
Modernthinker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am from England , but originally I am Arab( Libya) . So which course are you going to study specifically?

Posted from TSR Mobile
fatjan
Rep:
?
I am taking Msc in Oil and Gas Chemistry.
Modernthinker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
thats nice bro😉 I hope that goes good with you bro- which Beng did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
fatjan
Rep:
?
You shouldn't call me bro, cause I am a girl.

I did Petroleum Engineering for Beng in Malaysia, bro.
Modernthinker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
oh sorry didn't know 😁😁😁 how did you find the degree and which part of the industry you specify at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
fatjan
Rep:
?
It's ok.
I got a scholarship to study Beng in Petroleum Engineering.
My major was production engineering.
That's why I chose oil n gas engineering instead of petroleum engineering for MSc in Aberdeen.
The course contents more on production while petroleum engineering seems suitable for reservoir engineer.

How about you? are you interested in production too? Or drilling probably?

hey btw, why you wanted to pursue petroleum engineering at this current situation of oil price?
Modernthinker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's nice - so you are more into the production region(;

Well my interest in the oil and gas industry was with me since the age of 16 ( I am 19 now). Where I have written a project entiteld by "The impact of crude oil on humanity"- I was utterly intrigued by the industry , I believe my passion has sprouted since.

I am aware of the current crisis in the industry , but I know its an industry where it flactuates, one day is over the moon and the other is drowning .

I want a career in between resevior/ drilling engineering or even geochemistry but not sure yet ... what do you think about these professions??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Modernthinker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also what's the difference between 'Oil and Gas Engineering" and " Petroleum Engineering"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
fatjan
Rep:
?
That's nice, it sounds that you've known a lot of things about the industry even when you haven't started your undergraduate.

Both reservoir and drilling are good, you may find your own passion once you've passed 2nd or 3rd year of your study.

Reservoir involves a lot of calculation, formulas, numerical equations n stuff. Lots of analyzing data, use of software for modelling and so on. Most reservoir engineer work in the office with bunch of computers, data and of course uncertainties.

While drilling is simpler calculation on mud weight calculation, well design and technology, and so on. Definitely you'll work on site, where the well is being drilled. This is the highest risk job in the industry. My lecturers said, their friends who work as drilling engineer lost some of their fingers, you may want to check the video of drilling engineers in youtube. After a number of years, you can be supervisor whose work is controlling and monitoring the overall drilling job.

As for geochemistry, I am not sure you can gain it through petroleum engineering. What I knw is that, you can get geochemistry if you take petroleum geoscience instead. But I dnt knw about Aberdeen, because in my previous uni, the majors are only reservoir, production and drilling.

You may want to become geophysicist instead of geochemistry. I think PE can go to geophysicist, but it also involves a lot of stuffs from geoscience instead of petroleum engineering itself.

Between oil n gas engineering and petroleum engineering, it's just that Aberdeen has a rigid structure of what subjects to take in Msc. I dnt knw about BEng.

Oil n Gas Eng. offers subjects like "flow assurance", "oil n gas chemistry", "facilities eng."

while petroleum engineering doesnt offer these, it offers "petrophysics", "reservoir simulation", "EOR" n stuffs. That's why I said that petroleum engineering is more suitable for ppl interested in reservoir engineering.

I hope you can understand what I explained, if you still have some other questions, pls do ask. I am happy to share my knowledge, especially those who have same passion as I do.
Modernthinker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh thank you very much for that benefical information(;

I was aware that drilling is more practical and you can work in remote locations, but it being that risky - is shocking .... feeling scard as I like my fingers😂😂😂 But yeah it's actually something that I find intriguing.

However, I also find Resevior side very spectscular , since you are doing lots of studies and prediction to see whther certain location has oil ( well studying the rocks and the areas by sensors) . Well in my own time I have already studied some sort of foubdations and I am enjoying it heavily😄😄

The principal of my college used to work in the industry as a "Geochemist" and he praises it around the clock. He said to me that he used to travel around the world and he's been to over 40 countries - he claims that in some hard weeks he earned £8000. Additionally his job sounds appealing to some extent.

What is "Production Engineering" like . I know from a Chemical Engineering Degree, you can work in thst field?

Posted from TSR Mobile
fatjan
Rep:
?
No wonder you want to be Geochemistry as well.

btw, I dnt really understand your last question. What did you really ask?
Modernthinker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
lol not really ( well I can't lie to say that money is not motivating me 😂😂😉😉)
. Yeah I meant to work as a "Production Engineer" generally you could have studied "Chemical Engineering" right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
fatjan
Rep:
?
U mean me as a female why taking PE instead of chemical ?
To be honest, Im not rlly good in chemical. Im good at math n physics.
My passion is petroleum engineering after all
Modernthinker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"Passionate" we share something in common. Yeah that's great - I have never heard of a female perusing a career as a "Petroleum Engineer" , it's not something bad. But what exactly grasped your interest in this field with the current crisis in the industry .. Is it a growing industry back in Indonesia?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rftra
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fatjan)
I'm studying... Petroleum Engineering

I'm interested in... Oil and Gas Engineering, Petroleum Engineering

My study level is... Other
yDo ou think the low oil price perhaps may make it difficult for your to find employment next year or when you graduate?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (17)
7.2%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (35)
14.83%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (41)
17.37%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.41%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.69%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (46)
19.49%

Watched Threads