The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Anyone been to the year Abroad in UEA course?

Hi there,
I'm new to the Student Room but I just wanted to ask if there were any others out there at the UEA that have info on the year abroad. I'm interested in taking it, however, I need to know how much it would cost as I am going to take a gap year working to be able to afford it.
So, a few questions if you don't mind answering:
How much is the price of the year abroad?
Does this include accommodation, food, etc?
If not, what would I need to pay for, and how much do you believe I would need for the year?
I mean, understandably, I believe it is going to be a lot, but just wanted to know in front so I can save up a decent amount.
Thanks again.
Lauren.
Hi Lauren,

Great to hear you are interested in Study Abroad at UEA!

The cost of a year abroad may vary depending on where you study, for example we have partner universities in North America, Australasia, Asia, Europe and Latin America. The destinations you can choose between will depend on which course and school of study you are attending. Information about our partner universities can be found here: https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/study-abroad/outgoing/study

The advice we give to students is to start saving as soon as possible, and save up as much as possible which will enable you to maximise your enjoyment of your year abroad. There is no all-inclusive price but you will need to budget for accommodation, food, travel and other living costs. Students pay no fees to their host university and pay a reduced fee to UEA for their year abroad. Currently this means they pay £1350 rather than £9000 for that year. Financial help is also available to students such as the Travel Grant which may pay some of your travel expenses. This is available to students who are eligible for student finance that depends on your household income eg. Maintenance Loan or Maintenance Grant.

I hope this is helpful to you and we hope to welcome you to UEA,
UEA Study Abroad Team
(edited 8 years ago)
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi UEA, Thank you for responding back so quickly.
I believe that I want to go into the ecology course, their year abroad is to east africa I believe. I'm hoping to earn money in the gap year, just not sure how much it would cost to live in east africa for a year. Also, do you know where exactly in east africa the college normally go to? So I can get a rough idea of the currency, etc.
Also, do we go in groups?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. I'm just curous. :smile:
Thanks again.
Original post by Laweren
Hi UEA, Thank you for responding back so quickly.
I believe that I want to go into the ecology course, their year abroad is to east africa I believe. I'm hoping to earn money in the gap year, just not sure how much it would cost to live in east africa for a year. Also, do you know where exactly in east africa the college normally go to? So I can get a rough idea of the currency, etc.
Also, do we go in groups?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. I'm just curous. :smile:
Thanks again.

Sorry for the delay, as this is an Ecology specific scheme we had to put this to the course director. Here is his response:

The year abroad in Ecology can be to Europe, North America or Australasia. There is no year abroad in East Africa.

There are two field courses (2 week residential field courses) available to Ecology students. One to Swaziland in Southern Africa and one to Kenya in East Africa. There might lie the confusion.

Regarding costs: the university fees are the same or less for the year abroad- largely depending on where you go and the normal living costs still apply and this may be more or less expensive that Norwich, again depending on where you go and your lifestyle choices.

The university placements at year abroad institutes are not normally in groups, although in the past 2 or 3 students might select the same university. But generally the placements are for the student only.

Regarding Gap year ideas and earning funds- there is no real-world significant difference between the years of study in terms of costs. So it is best to structure your year before UEA with that in mind.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by University of East Anglia
Sorry for the delay, as this is an Ecology specific scheme we had to put this to the course director. Here is his response:

Thank you so much! This clears up most of my queries, thank you for replying, you've been a great help. :smile:

Hope to be there in 2017! :biggrin:
Lauren
I'm trying to go on that aswell Lauren. I won't ruin you're thread.

Just interested aswell. What sort of way does it work financially? Do you get support? I know I can save up alot but I can't fund it all.

Everytime I ask the teachers they glaze over it and won't tell me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
@Frostyjoe I believe that there is financial help, I'm not sure as I believe that the course manager would be one to ask, if I could I would send them an email for a full clarification of what the year abroad entails.
I hope that this would be cleared up fully because I do have some worries about the financial costs of staying a year abroad.

However, I do know that they require you to pay for both accommodation, travel and food costs, etc. I am having a gap year in order to have a backup fund as I plan on working fulltime for that duration. But I wanted to ask whether we are going to be studying in a university at the year abroad and if there is student accommodation available there, because otherwise I would have to find accommodation elsewhere.
Hi Lauren. Well I do know that there is uni accommodation at all of the universities that are part of the year abroad.

It's still quite expensive though. I think you are going to need at least £10,000.

You are not allowed to work on a year abroad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending