Labour shadow attorney general resigns

Watch
RegencyTwink
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The Labour shadow Attorney-General, Catherine McKinnell, has resigned in protest over the direction Mr Corbyn is taking the party. This is more serious than the three other resignations as she is a member of the Shadow Cabinet rather than a junior shadow minister

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...-politics-live
wildleaves
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
good
RegencyTwink
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by wildleaves)
good
Agreed. She is showing the courage of her convictions where others have not.

Having said that, the moderates in the shadow cabinet should find the right time to strike, which will be when the Trident vote comes up or when Mr Corbyn tries to seize control of the policy-making apparatus by transferring control over policy to the NEC. The moderates have the support of the GMB trade union (who helped ensure a pro-Trident vote at conference) on the nuclear issue, thus they can split the pro-Corbyn consensus in the trade unions

What I do find extremely worrying is that now that Mr Corbyn is leader, he is essentially saying that his election makes him the dictator of the party and that in any dispute, what he says should go because of his "mandate" (I hasten to add, 51% of actual party members voted against Corbyn).

This means that the traditional check on a leader or Prime Minister's power, which is cabinet responsibility, is removed. If Corbyn ever became Prime Minister he would quickly become a despot because he would not have any reason to submit to collective cabinet responsibility. He would have no check on his powers, if anyone in the cabinet disagreed with him he would simply remove them.

The problem with that is that it disconnects the traditional conferring of ministerial commissions (and thus the executive and royal powers) in a way that is connected to the will of the majority of the house of commons, not a majority of party members of the Prime Minister. This is an extremely dangerous road to go down, and it looks as though Mr Corbyn and Mr Milne are entirely happy to adopt this sort of despotic, demagogic approach that denudes and undermines the inherent dignity of parliament and democratic accountability of party leaders as it relates to their having to submit to the will of ellected MPs

Mr Corbyn sees himself as being in no way bound to a majority of MPs. Instead, he believes that this one-off vote of a couple of hundred thousand people (including non-party members, and even including conservatives who voted for Corbyn through the £3 ballot) is a conclusive response to any disagreement which should always be resolved in his favour. This is not how the Westminster system is supposed to work, and clearly he has zero respect for the democratic mandate of Labour MPs who collectively have millions of votes from actual voters in their favour.
The Saw
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Corbyn is purging the agents of Israel
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RegencyTwink)

What I do find extremely worrying is that now that Mr Corbyn is leader, he is essentially saying that his election makes him the dictator of the party and that in any dispute, what he says should go because of his "mandate" (I hasten to add, 51% of actual party members voted against Corbyn).
On this it has to be added that until the next election his mandate is not really that powerful, who has the greater mandate, the man that got a couple of hundred thousand votes from people who joined the party to vote for him, or the MPs who have several million votes from the population as a whole to implement the election manifesto

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (7)
11.86%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.47%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.08%
I need help with my personal statement (25)
42.37%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
23.73%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.39%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.08%

Watched Threads