The Student Room Group

I got a job in Jack Wills

Working as a sales assistant, it's my first retail job and I was wondering, if anyone has worked here before or in a similar place what a typical first day would be like? I start tomorrow 8am-3pm.
Original post by flutterby-x303
Working as a sales assistant, it's my first retail job and I was wondering, if anyone has worked here before or in a similar place what a typical first day would be like? I start tomorrow 8am-3pm.

Ohhh how did your first day go? :smile:
Original post by Queen Cersei
Ohhh how did your first day go? :smile:

Well! The manager is on holiday till next week so the assistant manager showed me the ropes. I got there at 8am at the same time as her and it was just us two till the store opened at half 9.

She took me to the staff room and office. One would use the staff room on lunch breaks and to deal with any new things that need putting away in the stock room. So she taught me how to put security tags on the items (put it on a seam so as not to damage the actual material). Then she showed me the male and female and "top 20" stock rooms.

Then on the floor it's all about making sure the clothes are all folded and and folded clothes need clear labels with the sizes on.

"Replen" is where you make sure that enough sizes and colours etc of each item are on display. You need to ensure the hangers are all separated by two fingers width as opposed to all bunched together.

I was taught how to use the till and how to do refunds although I can't quite remember all the details.

On my first day I mainly added security tags to any items on the floor that didn't have any (although occasionally I would put one on an item that already had one and I had to take it off again, or I would clip it to the front on the item accidently :/).

But all in all it was good. I had to get various sizes of items for customers that required them.

Do you work in JW or have you done?
(edited 8 years ago)
If you don't mind me asking, how much do you get paid?
Original post by Littleone2000
If you don't mind me asking, how much do you get paid?

£6.76 per hour but it's London pay (it's not actually a London store but one of the few outside London that has the same pay rate as the London stores, Bicester also follows this rule as does Milton Keynes I believe). Other stores are £6.04 per hour with the exception of Heathrow T3 which is £7.14.

It also depends on your age. Heathrow and Bicester it's £7.14 and £6.76 respectively no matter how old you are but London stores, where I am and Milton Keynes it goes down to £5.99 if you are under 18 and it's £4.78 everywhere else in the UK. Also if you are 21+ it goes up to £6.70 for areas outside London.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest